Dr Rosemary Norman
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5356
- Address: Marine, Offshore and Subsea Technology Group
School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
Lecturer in Marine Electrical Systems
Marine Technology Undergraduate Degree Programme Director
BEng Leeds 1989
MSc Bradford 1990
PhD Bradford 1994
MSc Loughborough 2006
Switched Reluctance Drives Ltd, Harrogate, Nth Yorkshire
Senior Member IEEE
PhD and MPhil Supervision:
W. Shi ‘Biomimetic Improvement of Hydrodynamic Performance of Horizontal Axis Tidal Turbines’, PhD awarded 2017.
I. Emovon ‘Multi-Criteria Decision Making Support Tools for Maintenance of Marine Machinery Systems’, PhD awarded 2016.
M.H. Abbas ’Modelling pipeline CO2 corrosion for CO2 partial pressures of up to 150bar’, PhD awarded 2016.
C.J. Lyons ‘Development of Quantitative Risk Assessment Methods for Dense Phase CO2 Pipelines’, PhD awarded 2015.
M.R. Zoolfakar ‘Holistic Modelling of LNG Carrier Systems’, PhD awarded 2012.
N. Tunwattana ‘Design and Development of an Optical Dead Reckoning System for Robotics Surface Navigation’, PhD awarded 2009.
R. Mikalsen ‘An Investigation into the Free-Piston Engine Concept and its Potential for High Efficiency and Low Emissions Power Generation’, PhD awarded 2008.
Current PhD studentsr:
R. Rosli ‘Development of a Novel Marine Turbine: Hydro Spinna’, started January 2013.
P. Pise ‘An Integrated Model for Life-Cycle Development of Offshore Wind Energy at Industry Scale’, started January 2016.
C. Fernandez ‘Dynamic Positioning - Control System Modelling DDDGGA (AI) and Reliability Index (RI)', started October 2015 (part-time).
M.C.L. Teo 'Exploration of Big Data for Future Marine Applications', started October 2016
M.I. Zaman ‘Development of data analytic algorithms to measure engine performance parameters and control emissions’, started December 2014.
W.W. Stephenson, 'Integration of mechanical energy storage devices onto the grid system', started January 2017.
Zhizun Xu started April 2017
Yi Zhou started April 2017
I joined the School of Marine Science and Technology in 2004 as a Lecturer in Marine Electrical Systems following 10 years working in industry. My work in industry covered many aspects of motor drive systems, including power electronic converter design, integrated circuit design, system modelling and simulation, embedded software and control system design. The work on control systems, particularly sensorless control of switched reluctance machines led to patents granted in both Europe and the USA. Applications for the drive systems included hybrid-electric vehicles, industrial servo systems and domestic appliances.
Since joining Newcastle University my research has included:
Thermal treatment systems for ballast water, including simulation models and optimisation tools based on artificial neural networks;
- Non-contact measurement sensors based on optical computer mouse technology;
Marine robotic systems for ship hull maintenance which reduces the environmental impact of a ship through cleaning processes which avoid the spread of non-indigenous marine species and reduce hull resistance and therefore fuel consumption and emissions. (HISMAR project funded under the EU FP6 programme)
Marine renewable systems, particularly tidal current turbines and the associated electrical power converters.
Marine electrical systems including shore supplies and hybrid marine propulsion.
Fuel and emission monitoring for marine engines (two KTP project with Royston, funded by Innovate UK)
MAR2018 Marine Engineering II
MAR3033 Marine Engineering Design
MAR3038 Dynamic Modelling and Simulation
MAR8065 Marine Power Systems
MAR8071 Fundamentals of Marine Engineering
SPG8003 Renewable Energy: Electrical Generation Systems
SPG8014 Introduction to Hydro, Wind, Wave & Tidal Energy
- Emovon I, Norman RA, Murphy AJ. Hybrid MCDM based methodology for selecting the optimum maintenance strategy for ship machinery systems. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 2018, 29(3), 519-531.
- Pazouki K, Forbes N, Norman RA, Woodward MD. Investigation on the impact of human-automation interaction in maritime operations. Ocean Engineering 2018, 153, 297–304.
- Zaman I, Pazouki K, Norman R, Younessi S, Coleman S. Challenges and Opportunities of Big Data Analytics for Upcoming Regulations and Future Transformation of the Shipping Industry. Procedia Engineering 2017, 194, 537-544.
- Shi W, Atlar M, Norman R. Detailed flow measurement of the field around tidal turbines with and without biomimetic leading-edge tubercles. Renewable Energy 2017, 111, 688-707.
- Zaman I, Pazouki K, Norman R, Younessi S, Coleman S. Development of automatic mode detection system by implementing the statistical analysis of ship data to monitor the performance. International Journal of Maritime Engineering 2017, 159(Part A3), A225-A235.
- Kanellopoulos D, Norman RA, Dev AK. Investigation into the application of a hybrid propulsion system in an offshore support vessel. In: Singapore Maritime Technology Conference. 2017, Singapore.
- Emovon I, Norman RA, Murphy AJ. The development of a model for determining scheduled replacement Intervals for marine machinery systems. Proceedings of IMechE, Part M: Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment 2017, 231(3), 723-739.
- Emovon I, Norman RA, Murphy AJ. An integration of multi-criteria decision making techniques with a delay time model for determination of inspection intervals for marine machinery system. Applied Ocean Research 2016, 59, 65-82.
- Shi W, Atlar M, Rosli R, Aktas B, Norman R. Cavitation observations and noise measurements of horizontal axis tidal turbines with biomimetic blade leading-edge designs. Ocean Engineering 2016, 121, 143-155.
- Emovon I, Norman RA, Murphy AJ. Elements of maintenance systems and tools for implementation within the framework of reliability centred maintenance - a review. Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology 2016, 8(2), 1-34.
- Rosli R, Norman R, Atlar M. Experimental investigations of the Hydro-Spinna turbine performance. Renewable Energy 2016, 99, 1227-1234.
- Shi W, Rosli R, Atlar M, Norman R, Wang D, Yang W. Hydrodynamic performance evaluation of a tidal turbine with leading-edge tubercles. Ocean Engineering 2016, 117, 246-253.
- Emovon I, Norman RA, Murphy AJ. Methodology of using an integrated averaging technique and MAUT method for failure mode and effects analysis. Journal of Engineering and Technology 2016, 7(1), 140-155.
- Shi W, Atlar M, Norman R, Aktas B, Turkmen S. Numerical optimization and experimental validation for a tidal turbine blade with leading-edge tubercles. Renewable Energy 2016, 96(Part A), 42-55.
- Shi W, Atlar M, Seo KC, Norman RA, Rosli R. Numerical Simulation of a Tidal Turbine Based Hydrofoil with Leading-edge Tubercles. In: 35th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, OMAE 2016. 2016, Busan, South Korea: ASME.
- Tsougranis EL, Pazouki K, Norman RA, Almutairi A. Pressurised SOFC-GT Electric Propulsion Power Plant for LNG Vessels. In: Energy Efficient Ships. 2016, London, UK: Royal Institution of Naval Architects.
- Zaman I, Pazouki K, Norman RA, Younessi S, Coleman S. Utilising real-time ship data to save fuel consumption and reduce carbon emission. In: Shipping in Changing Climates Conference. 2016, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Emovon I, Norman RA, Murphy AJ, Pazouki K. An integrated multicriteria decision making methodology using compromise solution methods for prioritising risk of marine machinery systems. Ocean Engineering 2015, 105, 92-103.
- Shi W, Atlar M, Norman R, Aktas B, Turkmen S. Biomimetic improvement for a tidal turbine blade. In: 11th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (EWTEC 2015). 2015, Nantes, France.
- Rosli R, Shi W, Atlar M, Norman R. Cavitation Tunnel Investigation on the Performance, Cavitation, Pressure Pulses and Noise Generation of Marine Current Turbine Hydro-Spinna. In: The 4th International Conference on Advanced Model Measurement Technology for the Maritime Industry (AMT’15). 2015, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Shi W, Rosli R, Atlar M, Norman R, Wang D, Yang W. Hydrodynamic Performance of a Biomimetically Improved Tidal turbine Blade. In: The 4th International Conference on Advanced Model Measurement Technology for the Maritime Industry (AMT’15). 2015, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Zaman IM, Pazouki K, Coleman S, Norman RA, Younessi S. Performance Monitoring and Automatic Operating Mode Detection Based on the Statistical Analysis of Ship Data. In: International Conference on Energy Efficient Ships. 2015, Rotterdam, The Netherlands: Royal Institution of Naval Architects.
- Emovon I, Norman RA, Murphy AJ. A New Tool for Prioritising the Risk of Failure Modes for Marine Machinery Systems. In: ASME 2014 33rd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering OMAE 2014. 2014, San Francisco, California, USA: American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- Shi W, Atlar M, Norman R, Seo K-C. CFD Investigations on Leading-Edge Tubercles as Applied on a Tidal Turbine Blade. In: Grand Renewable Energy 2014. 2014, Tokyo, Japan.
- Rosli R, Norman R, Atlar M. Computational Investigation using a Simple RANS Model on the Performance of a Novel Marine Turbine: Hydro Spinna. In: Grand Renewable Energy 2014. 2014, Tokyo, Japan.
- Emovon I, Norman RA, Murphy AJ, Kareem B. Delphi-AHP based methodology for selecting the optimum maintenance strategy for ship machinery systems. In: 15th Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering and Management (APIEMS 2014). 2014, Jeju, Korea.
- Zoolfakar MR, Norman R, Mesbahi E. A Study of the Effect of Ship Size on Components Selection for an LNG Carrier. In: International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Materials (ICMEM 2012). 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- Zoolfakar MR, Norman R, Mesbahi E. A Study of the Effect of Ship Size on Components Selection for an LNG Carrier. In: Mechanical Engineering and Materials. 2012, Melbourne, Australia: Trans Tech Publications Ltd.
- Ammar Y, Joyce S, Norman R, Wang YD, Roskilly AP. Low grade thermal energy sources and uses from the process industry in the UK. Applied Energy 2012, 89(1), 3-20.
- Sciberras EA, Norman RA. Multi-objective design of a hybrid propulsion system for marine vessels. IET Electrical Systems in Transportation 2012, 2(3), 148-157.
- Tunwattana N, Norman R, Roskilly AP. Design of an underwater positioning sensor for crawling ship hull maintenance robots. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part M: Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment 2010, 224(2), 115-125.
- Tunwattana N, Roskilly AP, Norman RA. Investigations into the effects of illumination and acceleration on optical mouse sensors as contact-free 2D measurement devices. Sensors and Actuators A: Physical 2009, 149(1), 87-92.
- Knos MAR, Dubois-Marshall J, Norman RA, Downie MJ, Politis N. Torque Measurement and Friction Elimination in Tidal Turbine Model Tests. In: 1st International Conference on Advanced Model Measurement Technology for the EU Maritime Industry. 2009, Nantes, France: European Union.
- Slater HJ, Norman RA. A Method and System for Determining Rotot Position in a Switched Reluctance Machine. EP 1 221 764 B1, 2008.
- Norman RA. Operation of an Electrical Machine. EP1530283B1, 19 March 2008.
- Mesbahi E, Norman R, Peng MWC. An intelligent simulation model for design and costing of high temperature ballast water treatment systems. Marine Technology 2007, 44(3), 194-202.
- Mesbahi E, Norman RA, Vourdachas A, Quilez-Badia G. Design of a high-temperature thermal ballast water treatment system. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part M: Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment 2007, 221(1), 31-42.
- Norman RA, McClelland ML. Rotor Position Detection of an Electrical Machine. US, US7288915B2, 30 October 2007.
- Mesbahi E, Norman RA. Development of a cost optimisation tool for the design of onboard ballast water treatment systems. Journal of Marine Environmental Engineering 2006, 8(4), 319-336.
- Norman RA. Operation of an Electrical Machine. USA, 7057362, 06-06-2006.
- H.J.Slater, R.A.Norman. Method and System for Determining Rotor Position in a Switched Reluctance Machine. US Patent 6608462B2 2003. .
- Norman RA, Sugden DM. Matrix Interpolation. Paris, France: European Patent Office, EP0817365B1, 16-05-2001.
- R.A.Norman, D.M.Sugden. Matrix Interpolation. April 1999.
- L.Zhang, R.Norman, W.Shepherd. Long-Range Predicitive Control of Current Regulated PWM for Induction Motor Drives Using the Synchronous Reference Frame. IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 1997, 5(1), 119-126.
- R.A.Norman, L.Zhang. High Performance Adaptive Current Control for Induction Motor Drives. In: 29th Universities Power Engineering Conference. 1994, University College Galway.
- R.A.Norman, L.Zhang. The Application of Generalized Predictive Control to CRPWM Inverters for Induction Motor Drives. In: 28th Universities Power Engineering Conference. 1993, Staffordshire University.