Dr Sarah Dunn
Lecturer in Structural Engineering
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7886
- Address: School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a civil and structural engineer, with an interest in the resilience of our modern communities. The majority of my research focuses on the resilience of our infrastructure systems - with the aim of improving the resilience of our communities through the adaptation of their underpinning infrastructure systems. I am interested in developing techniques that can recognise vulnerable areas within infrastructure systems, identify fragile system architectures and also establish methods that can help to protect them from hazard.
PhD in Civil Engineering (Newcastle University - Feb 2014) - Thesis Title "An Investigation to Improve Community Resilience using Network Graph Analysis of Infrastructure Systems"
MEng in Civil and Structural Engineering (Newcastle University - Sept 2010) (1st Class (Hons))
2016 Teaching Excellence Awards (TEAs):
- Taught Supervisor of the Year (Shortlisted)
- Overall Contribution to Outstanding Practice (Shortlisted)
Google Scholar Profile: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=3tHQ8moAAAAJ&hl=en
LinkedIn Profile: https://uk.linkedin.com/pub/sarah-dunn/74/37a/517
ResearchGate Profile: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sarah_Dunn3
critical infrastructure, resilience, disaster management, network graph theory, resilient communities, network reliability
PhD Supervision (Principal Supervisor)
Beth Barnes (start Sept 2016) - Development of a Modelling Framework to Improve Mitigation Methods and Contingency Planning for Emergency Scenario
Louise Westoby (start Jan 2017) - The Road to Recovery: Understanding the Process of Rebuilding Seismic Resistant Schools in Nepal
CEG1004: Design of Sustainable Engineering Systems 1
CEG1302: Structural Mechanics
CEG2301: Structural Analysis (Module Leader)
CEG3301: Design of Sustainable Engineering Systems 3
CEG3099: BEng Individual Project
CEG8099: Supervision of undergraduate Stage 4 projects
CEG8399: Supervision of MSc research projects
- Ogie R, Dunn S, Holderness T, Turpin E. Assessing the vulnerability of pumping stations to trash blockage in coastal mega-cities of developing nations. Sustainable Cities and Society 2017, 28, 53-66.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S. Hazard Tolerance of Spatially Distributed Complex Networks. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 2017, 157, 1-12.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S, Ford A. Spatial Structure and Evolution of Infrastructure Networks. Sustainable Cities and Society 2016, 27, 23-31.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S. Increasing the resilience of air traffic networks using a network graph theory approach. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 2015, (ePub ahead of print).
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S. Enhancing the Resilience of Lifeline Systems Using Network Graph Theory. In: SECED - Society for Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics Young Engineers Conference – 2013. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne: SECD.
- Dunn S, Fu G, Wilkinson S, Dawson R. Network Theory for Infrastructure Systems Modelling. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability 2013, 166(5), 281-292.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson SM. Identifying Critical Components in Infrastructure Networks using Network Topology. Journal of Infrastructure Systems 2013, 19(2), 157-165.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S, Fu G, Dawson R. Analysis of Infrastructure Networks. In: Earth Systems Engineering 2012. 2012, Newcastle University: Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research, Newcastle University.
- Wilkinson SM, Dunn S, Ma S. The Vulnerability of the European Air Traffic Network to Spatial Hazards. Natural Hazards 2012, 60(3), 1027-1036.
- Dunn S, Galasso C, Wilkinson S, Manning L, Alderson D. Development of Empirical Vulnerability Curves for Electrical Supply Systems Subjected to Wind Hazard. In: 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering. 2015, Vancouver, Canada: University of British Columbia.
- Wilkinson S, Dunn S, Adams R. Infrastructure Network Modelling for Resilience Assessment and Investment Decisions. In: National Infrastructure Commission visit to Newcastle University. 2016, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Newcastle University.
- Ogie RI, Holderness T, Dunn S, Turpin E. Vulnerability analysis of hydrological infrastructure to flooding in coastal cities - A graph theory approach. In: Transforming the Future of Infrastructure through Smarter Information - Proceedings of the International Conference on Smart Infrastructure and Construction, ICSIC 2016. 2016, Cambridge, UK: ICE Publishing.