Dr Sean Wilkinson
Reader in Structural Engineering
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8876
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5322
- Personal Website: https://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/s.m.wilkinson/
- Address: Civil Engineering
School of Engineering
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a structural engineer specialising in earthquake engineering. The aim of my research is to help develop communities that are resilient to natural hazard. I believe the best way of achieving this is by understanding how critical infrastructure responds in a disaster and what role it has in protecting communities. My specific methodology is to identify robust network architectures for critical infrastructure systems that are insensitive to the magnitude of the hazard to which they may be exposed and therefore suffer minimum disruption in the event of a disaster. This is an extension of the way earthquake engineers design their buildings whereby they treat them as systems that have ductile modes of failure which can absorb vast amounts of energy without collapse (bend not break). I also teach these concepts in my structural engineering design classes as well as teaching my specific expertise of earthquake engineering.
PhD QUT 1997, Meng QUT 1991, Beng QIT 1986
Committee member for the Society for Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics
Chairman of the Earthquake Field Investigation Team
Worked as a Civil and Structural Engineering for Ove Arup and Partners in Brisbane Australia before returning to academia at Queensland University of Technology. Seconded to Robert Bird and Partners in 1997 to design seismically resistant high-rise building in Indonesia, before moving to my present position.
Resilient communities, Critical infrastructure, Earthquake engineering, Extreme loadings, Future design wind speeds
Other Expertise: Design of High-rise buildings, lifeline engineering, network reliability
Sarah Dunn - Making Resilient Communities for the 21st Century
Matthew Holmes, Resilience of water supply networks
Tom Pickering - Vulnerability curves for electricity distribution systems
Alan Richardson Graduated 2008
Mahdi Al Yami Graduated 2009
Michael Kyakula Graduated 2004
Reviewer for the Royal society of New Zealand
Reviewer for the Georgian National Science Foundation
Mission Leader EEFIT mission 20 2009 Padang Earthquake
Academic Leader EEFIT mission to 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami
Society for Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics committee member
Chairman of the Earthquake Field Investigation Team
- Securing the Resilience of Critical Infrastructure Systems. Invited lecture at Interdisciplinary Perspectives: Measures and Models of Resilience 1-2 November 2012; hosted by Rockefeller Foundation and Oxford Martin School
- Increasing Community Resilience and Prosperity through the Provision of Critical Infrastructure. Invited Speaker, Queensland University of Technology, 8 April 2013
- The Christchurch Earthquake of 22 March 2011. Invited Speaker, Institution of Structural Engineers, EEFIT meeting
- The Vulnerability of the European Air Traffic Network to Spatial Hazards; Presentation for the National Centre for Atmospheric Research, 15 February 2011
- Are our Air Traffic Networks Particularly Vulnerable to Spatial Hazards? Presentation for the University of Colorado at Boulder, 7 February 2011
- The Padang Earthquake of September 30 2009. Invited Speaker at Institution of Structural Engineers, EEFIT meeting
- The Indian Ocean Tsunami: Lessons Learnt and the Engineers’ Response. Invited Speaker at a joint meeting of the ICE Maritime Board and The Society of Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics, 7th February, Institution of Civil Engineers
- The Indian Ocean Tsunami of 26 December 2004 field mission. Invited Speaker at the Institution of Structural Engineers on 5 April 2005
- Lessons from the Tsunami Disaster, December 2004. Invited Speaker at Institution of Structural Engineers, Northern Counties Branch, 8 November 2005 Central Square, Newcastle and 10 January 2005, Sporting Lodge Inn, Stainton, Middlesbrough
- The 2004 Boxing Day Tsunami – Findings of the EEFIT Mission to the Area. Invited Speaker Institution of Engineers Australia, 11 November 2005
EEFIT Earthquake Mission Grant: Funding for improved response and dissemination; March 2011 - March 2016 (PI £205,000)
RESNET Resilience and Electricity Networks in the UK; September 2011 - August 2015; £1.4M (PI NCL £415,000)
ECISE Enabling CLimate Information Services for Europe February 2011 – May 2014 (Co-PI £170,000)
Infrastructure reliability and adaptation - STREAM Cohort II Project; October 2010 – Sept 2014 (PI £58,000)
PLATFORM GRANT: Earth Systems Engineering: Sustainable systems engineering for adapting to global change Co-Investigator, £1.3M, December 2008 – November 2013 (joined 2011)
Post Earthquake Field Investigation of the Padang Earthquake 29 December 2009, £33,500 EPSRC funded, November 2009
Post Earthquake Field Investigation of the Indian Ocean Tsunami 26 December 2004; January 2005; £6,751 EPSRC funded.
Effects of Higher Modes On the Collapse Behaviour of Buildings. May 2002 - April 2004; £60,000; EPSRC funded research grant.
Steel Bearing Pile Market Survey, funded by Corus, 2005; £12,000
British Council Link Programme – Ghana RES/4562/7002; April 2000 - March 2001; £12,516 British Council ;
CEG2302 Steel and Concrete Structures - Module leader (100%)
CEG8303 Seismic Resistant Design - Module leader (100%)
CEG 2001 Design of Sustainable Engineering Systems 2
CEG8303 Seismic Resistant Design - Module leader (100%)
- Fu G, Wilkinson S, Dawson R. A Spatial Network Model for Civil Infrastructure System Development. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering 2016, 31(9), 661-680.
- Goda K, Kiyota T, MohanPokhrel R, Chiaro G, Toshihiko K, Sharma K, Wilkinson S. The 2015 Gorkha Nepal earthquake: insights from earthquake damage survey. Frontiers in Built Environment 2015, 1(8), 1-15.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S. Increasing the resilience of air traffic networks using a network graph theory approach. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 2015, (ePub ahead of print).
- Chian SC, Wilkinson SM. Feasibility of Remote Sensing for Multihazard Analysis of Landslides in Padang Pariaman during the 2009 Padang Earthquake. Natural Hazards Review 2015, 16(1), 05014004.
- Wilkinson S, Whitworth M, DeJong M, Ghosh B, Burton P, Tallet-Williams S, Novelli V, Franco G, White T, Trieu A, Datla S, Lloyd T, Goda K. Earthquake Impacts on Mountain Communities - Observations and Lessons from the Mw 7.8 Gorkha Earthquake of 25 April, 2015. In: Tenth Pacific Conference on Earthquake Engineering. 2015, Sydney: The Australian Earthquake Engineering Society and the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering.
- Rossetto T, D'Ayala D, Gori F, Persio R, Han J, Novelli V, Wilkinson SM, Alexander D, Hill M, Stephens S, Kontoe S, Elia G, Verrucci E, Vicini A, Shelley W, Foulser-Piggott R. The value of multiple earthquake missions: the EEFIT L'Aquila Earthquake experience. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 2014, 12(1), 277-305.
- Dunn S, Galasso C, Wilkinson S, Manning L, Alderson D. Development of Empirical Vulnerability Curves for Electrical Supply Systems Subjected to Wind Hazard. In: 12th International Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering. 2015, Vancouver, Canada: University of British Columbia.
- Wilkinson S, Grant D, Williams E, Paganoni S, Fraser S, Boon D, Mason A, Free M. Observations and Implications of Damage From The Magnitude Mw 6.3 Christchurch, New Zealand Earthquake of 22nd February 2011. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 2013, 11(1), 107-140.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson SM. Identifying Critical Components in Infrastructure Networks using Network Topology. Journal of Infrastructure Systems 2013, 19(2), 157-165.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S. Enhancing the Resilience of Lifeline Systems Using Network Graph Theory. In: SECED - Society for Earthquake and Civil Engineering Dynamics Young Engineers Conference – 2013. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne: SECD.
- Dunn S, Fu G, Wilkinson S, Dawson R. Network Theory for Infrastructure Systems Modelling. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability 2013, 166(5), 281-292.
- Wilkinson SM, Alarcon JE, Mulyani R, Whittle J, Chian SC. Observations of damage to buildings from MW 7.6 Padang earthquake of 30 September 2009. Natural Hazards 2012, 63(2), 521-547.
- Wilkinson SM, Dunn S, Ma S. The Vulnerability of the European Air Traffic Network to Spatial Hazards. Natural Hazards 2012, 60(3), 1027-1036.
- Richardson AE, Coventry KA, Wilkinson S. Freeze/thaw durability of concrete with synthetic fibre additions. Cold Regions Science and Technology 2012, 83-84, 49-56.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S, Fu G, Dawson R. Analysis of Infrastructure Networks. In: Earth Systems Engineering 2012. 2012, Newcastle University: Centre for Earth Systems Engineering Research, Newcastle University.
- Booth E, Spence R, Wilkinson S, Free M, Rossetto T. EEFIT: the UK Earthquake Engineering Field Investigation Team. International Journal of Forensic Engineering 2011, 164(3), 117-123.
- Wilkinson SM, Fowler HJ, Blenkinsop S, Kilsby CG. Challenges for the Assessment of Future Design Wind. In: 9th UK Conference on Wind Engineering. 2010, Bristol University, UK.
- Chian SC, Mulyani R, Whittle J, Alarcon JE, Wilkinson SM. Post Earthquake Field Investigation of the Mw 7.6 Padang Earthquake of 30th September 2009. In: 14th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering. 2010, Ohrid, Republic of Macedonia.
- Alyami M, Rouainia M, Wilkinson SM. Numerical analysis of deformation behaviour of quay walls under earthquake loading. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering 2009, 29(3), 525-536.
- Bramald T, Wilkinson SM. Introducing and Stimulating Sustainable Engineering in First Year Civil Engineering Students. In: American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference. 2009, Austin, Texas, USA: American Society for Engineering Education.
- Wilkinson S, Henderson NA. Use of Network Analysis to Assess the Vulnerability of an Electrical Supply Network. In: 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. 2008, Beijing, China: International Association for Earthquake Engineering (IAEE).
- Rossetto T, Peiris N, Pomonis A, Wilkinson SM, Del Re D, Koo R, Gallocher S. The Indian Ocean tsunami of December 26, 2004: Observations in Sri Lanka and Thailand. Natural Hazards 2007, 42(1), 105-124.
- Alyami M, Wilkinson SM, Rouainia M, Fei CAI. Simulation of seismic behaviour of gravity quay wall using a generalized plasticity model. In: Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering: 4th International Conference on Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering. 2007, Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Wilkinson SM, Hiley RA. Characterisation of Seismic Response Using Multi-Degree of Freedom Inelastic Response Spectra. In: First European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology. 2007, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Alyami M, Rouainia M, Wilkinson SM. Effective Stress Analysis of Gravity Quay Walls under Earthquake Loading. In: Electronic Proceedings of the 15th UK Conference of the Association of Computational Mechanics in Engineering. 2007, Glasgow, UK.
- Wilkinson SM, Hurdman G, Crowther A. A moment resisting connection for earthquake resistant structures. Journal of Constructional Steel Research 2006, 62(3), 295-302.
- Wilkinson SM, Knapton J. Analysis and solution to human-induced lateral vibrations on a historic footbridge. Journal of Bridge Engineering 2006, 11(1), 4-12.
- Wilkinson SM, Hiley RA. A non-linear response history model for the seismic analysis of high-rise framed buildings. Computers & Structures 2006, 84(5-6), 318-329.
- Pomonis A, Rossetto T, Wilkinson SM, Del Re D, Peiris N, Koo R, Manlapig R, Gallocher S. The Indian Ocean Tsunami of 26 December 2004: Mission Findings in Sri Lanka and Thailand. London: Earthquake Engineering Field Investigation Team (EEFIT), 2006. Earthquake Field Investigation Team Report.
- Jones CJFP, Wilkinson SM. The Potential Application Of Geosynthetics To Reduce Structural Damage Caused By Tsunamis. In: International Symposium on Tsunami Reconstruction with Geosynthetics: Protection, Mitigation and Rehabilitation of Coastal and Waterway Erosion Control. 2005, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Jones CJFP, Wilkinson SM. The Potential Application of Geosynthetics to Reduce Structural Damage Caused by Tsunamis. In: International Symposium on Tsunami Reconstruction With Geosynthetics. 2005, Bangkok: Asian Center for Soil Improvement and Geosynthetics.
- Kyakula M, Wilkinson SM. An Improved Spread Plasticity Model For Inelastic Analysis Of R/C. Frames Subjected To Seismic Loading, 13th. In: World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. 2004, Vancouver, Canada.
- Kyakula M, Wilkinson SM. The Effect Of The Length And Location Of Yield Zones On The Accuracy Of The Spread Plasticity Models. In: 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. 2004, Vancouver, Canada.
- Wilkinson SM, Hiley RA. Collapse behaviour of high-rise buildings: a response history hpproach. In: 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering. 2004, Vancouver, Canada: International Association for Earthquake Engineering (IAEE).
- Wilkinson SM, Hiley RA. Use of Advanced Analysis Techniques to Determine the Collapse Loads of Buildings. In: ASRANet International Colloquium. 2002, Glasgow.
- Wilkinson SM, Thambiratnam D. Simplified procedure for seismic analysis of asymmetric buildings. Computers and Structures 2001, 79(32), 2833-2845.
- Wilkinson SM, Thambiratnam D. Development and application of a simplified procedure for lateral load analysis of asymmetric buildings. In: 7th International Conference on Civil and Structural Engineering Computing. 1999, Oxford, England: Civil-Comp Press.
- Wilkinson SM, Thambiratnam D, Clark B, Williamson M. Torsional coupling in buildings under seismic loads. In: Eurosteel '99 - European Conference on Steel Structures. 1999, Prague, Czech Republic: CVUT.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S, Alderson D, Fowler H, Galasso C. Fragility Curves for Assessing the Resilience of Electricity Networks Constructed from an Extensive Fault Database. Natural Hazards Review 2018, 19(1), 04017019.
- Morbidelli R, Saltalippi C, Flammini A, Cifrodelli M, Picciafuoco T, Corradini C, Casas-Castillo MC, Fowler HJ, Wilkinson SM. Effect of temporal aggregation on the estimate of annual maximum rainfall depths for the design of hydraulic infrastructure systems. Journal of Hydrology 2017, 554, 710-720.
- Dhonju HK, Xiao W, Sarhosis V, Mills JP, Wilkinson S, Wang Z, Thapa L, Panday US. Feasibility study of low-cost image-based heritage documentation in Nepal. In: 3D ARCH - 3D Virtual Reconstruction and Visualization of Complex Architectures: 7th International Workshop. 2017, Nafplio, Greece: ISPRS.
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S. Hazard Tolerance of Spatially Distributed Complex Networks. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 2017, 157, 1-12.
- Pregnolato M, Ford A, Glenis V, Wilkinson S, Dawson R. Impact of climate change on disruption to urban transport networks from pluvial flooding. Journal of Infrastructure Systems 2017, 23(4), 04017015.
- Fu G, Wilkinson S, Dawson RJ, Fowler HJ, Kilsby C, Panteli M, Mancarella P. Integrated Approach to Assess the Resilience of Future Electricity Infrastructure Networks to Climate Hazards. IEEE Systems Journal 2017, (9), epub ahead of print.
- Pregnolato M, Ford A, Wilkinson SM, Dawson RJ. The impact of flooding on road transport: A depth-disruption function. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 2017, 55, 67-81.
- Wilkinson S, Dunn S, Adams R. Infrastructure Network Modelling for Resilience Assessment and Investment Decisions. In: National Infrastructure Commission visit to Newcastle University. 2016, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Newcastle University.
- Panteli M, Pickering C, Wilkinson S, Dawson R, Mancarella P. Power System Resilience to Extreme Weather: Fragility Modelling, Probabilistic Impact Assessment, and Adaptation Measures. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Tallett-Williams S, Gosh B, Wilkinson S, Fenton C, Burton P, Whitworth M, Datla S, Franco G, Trieu A, Dejong M, Novellis V, White T, Lloyd T. Site amplification in the Kathmandu Valley during the 2015 M7.6 Gorkha, Nepal earthquake. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Dunn S, Wilkinson S, Ford A. Spatial Structure and Evolution of Infrastructure Networks. Sustainable Cities and Society 2016, 27, 23-31.
- Goda K, Campbell G, Hulme L, Ismael B, Ke L, Marsh R, Sammonds P, So E, Okumura Y, Kishi N, Koyama M, Yotsui S, Kiyono J, Wu S, Wilkinson S. The 2016 Kumamoto Earthquakes: Cascading Geological Hazards and Compounding Risks. Frontiers in Built Environment 2016, 2(19), 1-23.
- Panteli M, Mancarella P, Hu X, Cotton I, Calverley D, Wood R, Pickering C, Wilkinson S, Dawson R, Anderson K. Impact of climate change on the resilience of the UK power system. In: IET International Conference on Resilience of Transmission and Distribution Networks (RTDN) 2015. 2015, Birmingham, UK: Institution of Engineering and Technology.