Dr Wojciech Mrozik
Researcher (Environmental Chemist)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6410
- Address: School Engineering
Environmental Engineering Group
Newcastle upon Tyne
2008 - PhD in Chemistry (Environmental Chemistry) from University of Gdansk, Poland
2004 - MSc (integrated) in Environmental Protection, University of Gdansk, Poland
2008 - 2015 Associate Professor/ Lecturer - Department of Inorganic Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
2011 - 2012 PostDoc (FNP TEAM) - Department of Medical Laboratory Diagnostics, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
2007 - 2008 Assistant Professor - Department of Inorganic Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Medical University of Gdansk, Poland
I am interested in transport, sorption, biodegradation and interactions of modern pollutants (micropollutants) with natural environment. My research focuses on the fate assessment of emerging hazards (i.e. ionic liquids, pharmaceuticals and personal care products) in soils, natural waters and wastewater. I utilize various analytical techniques such as LCMS, LC-CAD or GC.
Anoter aspect of my research theme are alternative sorbents based either on clay minerals or biochars. I am interested inperformance assessemnt of these sorbents as well as real applications.
- Valorisation of agricultural wastes in the Thai rural economy for bioenergy production, nutrient recycling and water pollution control in aquaculture – Newton Fund (2017 -2018) – Research Associate
- Enzymatic antibiotics pollution control – British Council (2016 – 2018) - Researcher
- Smart reactive sorbents for the removal of emerging contaminants – CeG Seed Corn (2015-2016) - Co-Investigator
- Global Innovation Partnership to Investigate, Restore and Protect the Urban Water Environment – British Council (2014 – 2016), Researcher
- Synthetic peptides - study on physiochemical properties and biological activity- National Science Centre, Poland, (2013 - 2016) - Principal Investigator
- Mitigating the risk of micropollutants in the environment - EPSRC Challenging Engineering, UK (2011 – 2017) – Research Associate
- Diagnostic markers for investigation of formation and progression of atherosclerotic plaques- Foundation for Polish Science, TEAM, Poland, (2011-2015) – internal PostDoc
- Biodegradation of antidiabetic drugs by sewage sludge and selected soils, National Science Centre, Poland, (2011-2012) - Principal Investigator
- Study on mechanism of interaction of ionic liquids with selected mineral surfaces, Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, Poland, (2010- 2011) - Co-Investigator
- Study on sorption mechanism and time of transport of ionic liquids in various types of soil and sediment, Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, (2006-2008) – PhD grant (PI)
- Development of analytical methodology for investigation of ionic liquids in biological and environmental samples, Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, (2005- 2008) – Named Researcher
- Investigation of toxicology and ecotoxicology of ionic xenobiotics – environmental risk assessment of ionic liquids and perchlorate compounds, Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education, (2005- 2008) – Researcher
Analitycal techniques - HPLC, GC, IC, MS
My teaching experience:
- Basic and Inorganic Chemistry (Medical University of Gdansk)
- Basic Crystallography (Medical University of Gdansk)
- Analytical Chemistry (Medical University of Gdansk and University of Gdansk)
- Environmental Engineering (University of Gdansk)
- Water Supply and Treatment Module (Newcastle University)
- Biogeochemistry (Medical University of Gdansk)
I am co-supervisor of five PhD Students
I am also active MSc supervisor (or co-supervisor)
- Markiewicz M, Jungnickel C, Stolte S, Bialk-Bielinska A, Kumirska J, Mrozik W. Primary degradation of antidiabetic drugs. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2017, 324(Part B), 428-435.
- Markiewicz M, Jungnickel C, Stolte S, Bialk-Bielinska A, Kumirska J, Mrozik W. Ultimate biodegradability and ecotoxicity of orally administered antidiabetic drugs. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2017, 333, 154-161.
- Han Z, Sani B, Mrozik W, Obst M, Beckingham B, Karapanagioti HK, Werner D. Magnetite Impregnation Effects on the Sorbent Properties of Activated Carbons and Biochars. Water Research 2015, 70(1), 394-403.
- Mrozik W, Stefanska J. Adsorption and biodegradation of antidiabetic pharmaceuticals in soils. Chemosphere 2014, 95, 281-288.
- Markiewicz M, Mrozik W, Rezwan K, Thoming J, Hupka J, Jungnickel C. Changes in zeta potential of imidazolium ionic liquids modified minerals - implications for determining mechanism of adsorption. Chemosphere 2013, 90(2), 706-712.
- Maszkowska J, Kolodziejska M, Bialk-Bielinska A, Mrozik W, Kumirska J, Stepnowski P, Palavinskas R, Krugere O, Kalbe U. Column and batch tests of sulfonamide leaching from different types of soil. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2013, 260, 468-474.
- Mrozik W, Jungnickel C, Paszkiewicz M, Stepnowski P. Interaction of Novel Ionic Liquids with Soils. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution 2013, 224(11), 1759.
- Mrozik W, Markowska A, Guzik L, Kraska B, Kamysz W. Determination of counter-ions in synthetic peptides by ion chromatography, capillary isotachophoresis and capillary electrophoresis. Journal of Peptide Science 2012, 18(3), 192-198.
- Mrozik W, Kotlowska A, Kamysz W, Stepnowski P. Sorption of ionic liquids onto soils: experimental and chemometric studies. Chemosphere 2012, 88(10), 1202-1207.
- Bialk-Bielinska A, Maszkowska J, Mrozik W, Bielawska A, Kolodziejska M, Palavinskas R, Stepnowski P, Kumirska J. Sulfadimethoxine and sulfaguanidine: Their sorption potential on natural soils. Chemosphere 2012, 86(10), 1059-1065.
- Jungnickel C, Mrozik W, Markiewicz M, Luczak J. Fate of ionic liquids in soils and sediments. Current Organic Chemistry 2011, 15(12), 1928-1945.
- Guzik L, Mrozik W, Kamysz W. Determination of simvastatin in pharmaceutical dosage forms by optimized and validated method using HPLC/UV. Croatica Chemica Acta 2010, 83(4), 371-377.
- Nichthauser J, Mrozik W, Markowska A, Stepnowski P. Analysis of residual ionic liquids in environmental samples: Development of extraction methods. Chemosphere 2009, 74(4), 515-521.
- Mrozik W, Jungnickel C, Ciborowski T, Pitner W, Kumirska J, Kaczynski Z, Stepnowski P. Predicting mobility of alkylimidazolium ionic liquids in soils. Journal of Soils and Sediments 2009, 9(3), 237-245.
- Siedlecka EM, Mrozik W, Kaczynski Z, Stepnowski P. Degradation of 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride ionic liquid in a Fenton-like system. Journal of Hazardous Materials 2008, 154(1-3), 893-900.
- Mrozik W, Jungnickel C, Skup M, Urbaszek P, Stepnowski P. Determination of the adsorption mechanism of imidazolium-type ionic liquids onto kaolinite: Implications for their fate and transport in the soil environment. Environmental Chemistry 2008, 5(4), 299-306.
- Mrozik W, Nichthauser J, Stepnowski P. Prediction of the adsorption coefficients for imidazolium ionic liquids in soils using cyanopropyl stationary phase. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies 2008, 17(3), 383-388.
- Stepnowski P, Mrozik W, Nichthauser J. Adsorption of alkylimidazolium and alkylpyridinium ionic liquids onto natural soils. Environmental Science and Technology 2007, 41(2), 511-516.
- Stepnowski P, Nichthauser J, Mrozik W, Buszewski B. Usefulness of π...π aromatic interactions in the selective separation and analysis of imidazolium and pyridinium ionic liquid cations. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 2006, 385(8), 1483-1491.
- Stepnowski P, Mrozik W. Analysis of selected ionic liquid cations by ion exchange chromatography and reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Separation Science 2005, 28(2), 149-154.
- Latala A, Stepnowski P, Nedzi M, Mrozik W. Marine toxicity assessment of imidazolium ionic liquids: Acute effects on the Baltic algae Oocystis submarina and Cyclotella meneghiniana. Aquatic Toxicology 2005, 73(1), 91-98.