Dr Zhiqiang Hu
Senior Lecturer in Marine Hydrodynamics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (191) 208 6750
- Address: School of Engineering
Armstrong Building Room 1.53D
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Zhiqiang Hu received his bachelor degree (Ship Engineering), master degree (Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering) and doctor degree (Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering) in Shanghai Jiao Tong. He joined Newcastle University in 2016. Before that, he had worked in School of Naval Architecture, Ocean & Civil Engineering in Shanghai Jiao Tong University for 15 years. He had plenty of teaching and research experiences and knowledge in naval architecture and ocean engineering related hydrodynamics, structural dynamics and basin model test conducting technology.
2001-2003 Teaching assistant, School of Naval Architecture, Ocean & Civil Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
2004-2010 Lecturer, School of Naval Architecture, Ocean & Civil Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
2009-2010 Post-doc & visiting scholar, Department of Marine Technology, Norwegian University of Science & Technology, Norway
2011-2016 Associate professor, School of Naval Architecture, Ocean & Civil Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
2013 Visiting scholar, Newcastle University, United Kingdom
2014 Visiting scholar, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
2015 Visiting scholar, The University of Western Australia, Australia
PhD Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
MEng Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
BEng Ship Engineering, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
Memberships and editorial work
Deputy editor of journal Ocean Engineering
ISSC V.1 ( Accidental Limit States) committee member
Associate Member of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects
Topic Organizer of Committee Structures, Safety and Reliability, OMAE Conference (ASME)
ICCGS (International Conference on Collision and Grounding of Ships & Offshore Structures) steering committee member
Hydrodynamic theoretical research on the potential theory and complex nonlinear responses for ships and offshore floating units.
Model test investigations on the hydrodynamic characters for ships and floating offshore unit
Research on the coupling-dynamic characters of ocean renewable energy devices, including floating offshore wind turbine and wave energy converter.
Internal mechanism of ship structure under collision and grounding scenario, through the analytical prediction method and numerical simulation method.
External mechanism of ship collision and grounding, through analytical method and scaled model test method
Ship-ice interaction analysis for the collision between sailing ship and iceberg.
Coupling effect between internal liquid sloshing and the external vessel motion; the interactive effect between side-by-side moored floating vessels; and the coupling responses between the mooring system and the floating vessel.
Research on the theoretical analysis and program building for an in-house program DARwind, which can be used to analyse the comprehensive characters of floating wind turbine, through the integration of aerodynamic load, hydrodynamic load, elastic-structural response and control algorithm effect.
Research on the challenges of model test methodology for the scaled model test in wave basin of floating offshore wind turbine.
Research on the investigation of structural strength and fatigue strength of the blades and the tower, taking the motion effect of the supporting platform into consideration.
The investigation on the internal mechanisms of structural resistance and energy dissipation, owing to the complicated structural deformation of bending, tearing, folding and membrane stretching of ship structural components, through the simplified analytical method.
Research on the external kinetic characters of the vessels under collision and grounding scenarios.
Establishing new material models for iceberg material, considering both of the temperature-variance effect and the visco-elastic effect. Numerical simulation analysis on the incorporation of new ice material models into LS_DYNA code.
MAR8072 Fundamentals of Naval Architecture (module leader)
MAR8021 Advanced Offshore Design
MAR3035 Offshore Design (module leader)
MAR3034 Further Ship Hydrodynamics
- Zhao D, Hu Z, Chen G, Chen H, Feng X. Coupling analysis between vessel motion and internal nonlinear sloshing for FLNG applications. Journal of Fluids and Structures 2018, 76, 431-453.
- Li L, Gao Y, Hu Z, Yuan Z, Day S, Li H. Model test research of a semisubmersible floating wind turbine with an improved deficient thrust force correction approach. Renewable Energy 2018, 119, 95-105.
- Shi C, Hu Z, Ringsberg J, Luo Y. A nonlinear viscoelastic iceberg material model and its numerical validation. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part M: Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment 2017, 231(2), 675-689.
- Yang S, Rinsberg J, Johnson E, Hu Z. Biofouling on mooring lines and power cables used in wave energy converter systems - Analysis of fatigue life and energy performance. Applied Ocean Research 2017, 65, 166-177.
- Sun B, Hu Z, Wang J. Bottom structural response prediction for ship-poweredgrounding over rock-type seabed obstructions. Marine Structures 2017, 2017(54), 127-143.
- Chen J, Hu Z, Liu G, Tang Y. Comparison of different dynamic model methods for floating wind turbines. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 2017, 9, 063304.
- Li L, Gao Y, Yuan Z, Day S, Hu Z. Dynamic response and power production of a floating integrated wind, wave and tidal energy system. Renewable Energy 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Zhang M, Liu JX, Hu ZQ. Experimental and numerical analysis of tanker double-hull structures punched by a wedge indenter. In: Progress in the Analysis and Design of Marine Structures: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Marine Structures (MARSTRUCT 2017). 2017, Lisbon, Portugal: CRC Press/Balkema.
- Chen J, Duan F, Hu Z. Experimental investigation of aerodynamic damping effects on a semi-submersible floating offshore wind turbine. In: 27th International Ocean (Offshore) and Polar Engineering Conference (ISOPE). 2017, San Francisco, CA, USA: Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Chen J, Hu Z. Experimental investigation of aerodynamic-effect-induced dynamic characteristics of an OC4 semi-submersible floating wind turbine. Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment 2017. In Press.
- Xu Q, Hu Z, Jiang Z. Experimental investigation of sloshing effect on the hydrodynamic responses of an FLNG system during side-by-side operation. Ships and Offshore Structures 2017, e-pub ahead of print.
- Zhao D, Hu Z, Chen G. Experimental investigation on dynamic responses of FLNG connection system during side-by-side offloading operation. Ocean Engineering 2017, 136, 283-293.
- Torres-Lopez J, Tao L, Xiao L, Hu Z. Experimental study on the hydrodynamic behaviour of an FPSO in a deepwater region of the Gulf of Mexico. Ocean Engineering 2017, 129, 549-566.
- Yu C, Hu Z, Wang S. Investigation of heave response of the deepwater octagonal FDPSO using various heave plate configurations. Journal of Marine Science and Application 2017, 16(4), 446-457.
- Hu Z, Liu G, Chen J. Investigation on high-order coupled rigid-flexible multi-body dynamic code for offshore floating wind turbines. In: ASME 2017 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering. 2017, Trondheim, Norway: ASME.
- Li H, Hu Z, Wang J, Meng X. Short-term fatigue analysis for tower base of a spar-type wind turbine under stochastic wind-wave loads. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Li HR, Hu ZQ, Wang J, Meng XM. Short-term fatigue analysis for tower base of a spar-type wind turbine under stochastic wind-wave loads. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Shi C, Hu Z, Ringsberg J, Luo Y. Validation of a temperature-gradient-dependent elastic-plastic material model of ice with finite element simulations. Cold Regions Science and Technology 2017, 133, 15-25.
- Fu B, Wan D, Hu Z. Vortex-induced vibrations of a flexible cylinder experiencing an oscillatory flow. In: Proceedings of the International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. 2017, San Francisco, California, USA: Society of Petroleum Engineers.
- Yang S, Ringsberg JW, Johnson E, Hu ZQ. A comparison of coupled and de-coupled simulation procedures for the fatigue analysis of wave energy converter mooring lines. Ocean Engineering 2016, 117, 332-345.
- Shen M, Hu Z, Liu G. Dynamic response and viscous effect analysis of a TLP-type floatingwind turbine using a coupled aero-hydro-mooring dynamic code. Renewable Energy 2016, 99, 800-812.
- Duan F, Hu Z, Liu G, Wang J. Experimental comparisons of dynamic properties of floating wind turbine systems based on two different rotor concepts. Applied Ocean Research 2016, 58, 266-280.
- Duan F, Hu Z, Wang J. Investigation of the VIMs of a spar-type FOWT using a model test method. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy 2016, 8(6), 063301.
- Duan F, Hu Z, Niedzwecki J. Model test investigation of a spar floating wind turbine. Marine Structures 2016, 49(2016), 76-96.
- Hu Z, Wang S, Chen G, Chai S, Jin Y. The effects of LNG-tank sloshing on the global motions of FLNG system. International Journal of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Sun B, Hu ZQ, Wang G. An analytical method for predicting the ship side structure response in raked bow collisions. Marine Structures 2015, 41, 288-311.
- Gao Y, Hu ZQ, Ringsberg J, Wang J. An elastic-plastic ice material model for ship-iceberg collision simulations. Ocean Engineering 2015, 102, 27-39.
- Yu ZL, Hu ZQ, Wang G. Plastic mechanism analysis of structural performances for stiffeners on bottom longitudinal web girders during a shoal grounding accident. Marine Structures 2015, 40, 134-158.
- Ma Y, Hu ZQ, Xiao LF. Wind-wave induced dynamic response analysis for motions and mooring loads of a spar-type offshore floating wind turbine. Journal of Hydrodynamics, Series B 2015, 26(6), 865-874.
- Zeng J, Hu ZQ, Chen G. A steady-state plate tearing model for ship grounding over a cone-shaped rock. Ships and Offshore Structures 2014, 11(3), 245-257.
- Gao Z, Hu ZQ, Wang G, Jiang Z. An analytical method of predicting the response of FPSO side structures to head-on collision. Ocean Engineering 2014, 87(2014), 121-135.
- Zhao W, Yang J, Hu Z, Tao L. Coupled analysis of nonlinear sloshing and ship motions. Applied Ocean Research 2014, 47, 85-97.
- Zhao W, Yang J, Hu Z, Tao L. Coupling between roll motions of an FLNG vessel and internal sloshing. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering 2014, 136(2), 021102.
- Zhao W, Yang J, Hu Z, Xiao L, Tao L. Hydrodynamics of a 2D vessel including internal sloshing flows. Ocean Engineering 2014, 84, 45-53.
- Zhao W, Yang J, Hu Z, Tao L. Prediction of hydrodynamic performance of an FLNG system in side-by-side offloading operation. Journal of Fluids and Structures 2014, 46, 89-110.
- Zhao WH, Yang JM, Hu ZQ. Effects of sloshing on the global motion responses of FLNG. Ships and Offshore Structures 2013, 8(2), 111–122.
- Zhao WH, Yang JM, Hu ZQ, Xiao LF, Peng T. Experimental and numerical investigation of the roll motion behavior of a floating liquefied natural gas system. SCIENCE CHINA Physics, Mechanics & Astronomy 2013, 56(3), 629–644.
- Zhao WH, Yang JM, Hu ZQ, Xie B. Hydrodynamics of an FLNG system in tandem offloading operation. Ocean Engineering 2013, 57(2013), 150–162.
- Yu ZL, Hu ZQ, Amdahl J, Liu Y. Investigation on structural performance predictions of double-bottom tankers during shoal grounding accidents. Marine Structures 2013, 33(2013), 188-213.
- Ma Y, Hu ZQ, Qu Y, Lu G. Research on the characteristics and fundamental mechanism of a newly discovered phenomenon of a single moored FPSO in the South China Sea. Ocean Engineering 2013, 59(2013), 274-284.
- Zhao WH, Yang JM, Hu ZQ, Xiao LF. Experimental investigation of effects of inner-tank sloshing on hydrodynamics of an FLNG system. Journal of Hydrodynamics, Series B 2012, 24(1), 107-115.
- Wei YF, Yang JM, Chen G, Hu ZQ. Experimental study on the hydrodynamic performance of FDPSO and SRV. Ships and Offshore Structure 2012, 7(4), 357–369.
- Zhao WH, Yang JM, Hu ZQ, Wei YF. Full-scale measurement investigation of the hydrodynamics of a turret-moored FPSO in a typhoon and deduction of its mooring load. Ships and Offshore Structures 2012, 7(3), 285–295.
- Hu ZQ, Yang JM, Zhao YN, Bai G. Full scale measurement for FPSO on motions in six-degrees of freedom and environmental loads and deduction of mooring system loads. SCIENCE CHINA Physics, Mechanics & Astronomy 2011, 54(1), 26-34.
- Zhao WH, Yang JM, Hu ZQ, Wei YF. Recent developments on the hydrodynamics of floating liquid natural gas (FLNG). Ocean Engineering 2011, 38(2011), 1555–1567.
- Wei YF, Yang JM, Chen G, Hu ZQ. The effect of axial stiffness of mooring lines on the horizontal motion of FDPSO. SCIENCE CHINA Physics, Mechanics & Astronomy 2011, 54(1), 10-15. In Preparation.
- Hu ZQ, Amdahl J, Hong L. Verification of a simplified analytical method for predictions of ship groundings over large contact surfaces by numerical simulations. Marine Structures 2011, 24(2011), 436–458.