Dr David McDonald
Experimental Scientific Officer
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7079 / 241 8826
- Address: Dr David McDonald
Flow Cytometry Core
Experimental Scientific Officer - Flow Cytometry Specialist:
Provide instrument training, cell sorting and application support within the Flow Cytometry Core Facility.
Assistance is also available in multiparameter assay design and planning for fluorescence and mass cytometry.
Post-doctoral Research Associate: Primary Immunodeficiency Group.
Investigating the genetic and molecular basis of novel, human, primary immune deficiencies.
PhD: Autoimmune Endocrinology; Institute of Human Genetics, Newcastle University
Investigating the immunomodulatory effects of antithyroid drugs in autoimmune thyroid disease, with respect to structural changes in thyroid peroxidase.
International Society for the Advancement of Cytometry
British Society of Immunology
Mass Cytometry and High Dimensional Fluorescence Cytometry
As a key operator of the Helios cytof mass cytometer and our state of the art 30 parameter Symphony A5 fluorescent analyser, I am particularly interested in design and implementation of multiparameter, high dimensional analysis in flow cytometry.
By way of whole-exome deep-sequencing followed by molecular characterisation, my post-doctoral research aimed to unravel the underlying basis of novel, human, primary immune deficiencies. I am particularly interested in aberations in lymphocyte signalling, senescence and cell-death pathways.
Viral recognition and killing by natural killer cells
Previous research also sort to understand NK-cell immune evasion strategies employed by Herpes viruses, a common complication in immunocompromised individuals
Outside of many aspects of flow cytometry I have a strong background in molecular and cellular assays.
Speaker at Britsh Society of Immunology Congress 2011
Invited speaker at Miltenyi Biotec T/NK cell day 2010
- McDonald DO, Pearce SHS. Thyroid peroxidase forms thionamide-sensitive homodimers: relevance for immunomodulation of thyroid autoimmunity. Journal of Molecular Medicine 2009, 87(10), 971-980.
- Dickinson RE, Griffin H, Bigley V, Reynard LN, Hussain R, Haniffa M, Lakey JH, Rahman T, Wang XN, McGovern N, Pagan S, Cookson S, McDonald D, Chua I, Wallis J, Cant A, Wright M, Keavney B, Chinnery PF, Loughlin J, Hambleton S, Santibanez-Koref M, Collin M. Exome sequencing identifies GATA-2 mutation as the cause of dendritic cell, monocyte, B and NK lymphoid deficiency. Blood 2011, 118(10), 2656-2658.
- Morgan NV, Goddard S, Cardno TS, Rahman F, Crupek A, Straatman-Iwanowska A, Pasha S, Hambleton S, Cant A, Barge D, Gennery A, McDonald D, Anderson G, Huissoon A, Tate WP, Maher ER. A novel human immunodeficiency disorder associated with a mutation in the T cell receptor a subunit constant gene (TRAC). In: Clinical and Experimental Immunology: United Kingdom Primary Immunodeficiency Network Immunology Forum. 2010, Bath, UK: British Society for Immunology.
- Roycroft M, Fichna M, McDonald D, Owen K, Zurawek M, Gryczynska M, Januszkiewicz-Lewandowska D, Fichna P, Cordell H , Donaldson P, Nowak J, Pearce S. The tryptophan 620 allele of the lymphoid tyrosine phosphatase (PTPN22 gene) predisposes to autoimmune Addison's disease. Clinical Endocrinology 2009, 70(3), 358-362.
- Skinningsrud B, Husebye ES, Pearce SH, McDonald DO, Brandal K, Wolff AB, Lovas K, Egeland T, Undlien DE. Polymorphisms in CLEC16A and CIITA at 16p13 are associated with primary adrenal insufficiency. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2008, 93(9), 3310-3317.
- Hambleton S, McDonald DO, Morgan NV, Griffin H, Singh-Dang T, Grainger A, Reynard L, Gennery AR, Slatter M, Flood TJ, McKiernan P, Barge D, Abinun M, Hackett S, Loughlin J, Lakey J, Cant AJ, Santibanez-Koref M. Autosomal recessive combines immunodeficiency due to loss of function mutation in Tripeptidyl Peptidase II. In: 15th Biennial Meeting European Society for Immunodeficiency (ESID). 2012, Florence, Italy: Springer.
- Griffin H, McDonald DO, Singh-Dang T, Dickinson R, Grainger A, Reynard L, Hussain R, Cant AJ, Gennery AR, Abinun M, Flood TJ, Collin MP, Loughlin J, Morgan NV, Santibanez-Koref M, Hambleton S. Whole exome sequencing as a diagnostic tool in primary immunodeficiency. In: 15th Biennial Meeting European Society for Immunodeficiency (ESID). 2012, Florence, Italy: Springer.
- McDonald D, Morgan N, Griffin H, Dang TS, Grainger A, Reynard L, Loughlin J, Santibanez-Koref M, Hambleton S. Whole-exome deep sequencing identifies a novel causative mutation in primary immunodeficiency. In: Immunology: Annual Congress of the British Society for Immunology. 2011, Liverpool, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Lu W, Zhang Y, McDonald DO, Jing HE, Carroll B, Robertson N, Zhang Q, Griffin H, Sanderson S, Lakey JH, Morgan NV, Reynard LN, Zheng L, Murdock HM, Turvey SE, Hackett SJ, Prestidge T, Hall JM, Cant AJ, Matthews HF, Koref MFS, Simon AK, Korolchuk VI, Lenardo MJ, Hambleton S, Su HC. Dual Proteolytic Pathways Govern Glycolysis and Immune Competence. Cell 2014, 159(7), 1578-1590.
- Villani A-C, Satija R, Reynolds G, Sarkizova S, Shekhar K, Fletcher J, Griesbeck M, Butler A, Zheng S, Lazo S, Jardine L, Dixon D, Stephenson E, Nilsson E, Grundberg I, McDonald D, Filby A, Li W, De Jager PL, Rozenblatt-Rosen O, Lane AA, Haniffa M, Regev A, Hacohen N. Single-cell RNA-seq reveals new types of human blood dendritic cells, monocytes, and progenitors. Science 2017, 356(6335).