Dr Mark Jackson
Senior Lecturer in Archaeology
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5240
Roles and Responsibilities
Degree Programme Director, Archaeology masters' programme:
- MA Archaeology: Prehistoric Archaeology
- MA Archaeology: Greek Archaeology
- MA Archaeology: Roman Archaeology
- MA Archaeology: Roman Frontier Studies (not offered 2017-18)
- MA Archaeology: Late Antique, Medieval and Byzantine
Manager of the Gertrude Bell Photographic Archive
Schools-Liaison Officer for Archaeology
Cowen Library Representative
Archaeology Research Seminar convener
BA (Hons) 1995 Archaeology
MA 1996 Methods in Byzantine Archaeology,
PhD 2001 Title: "Kilise Tepe in Byzantine Isauria"
Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice 2007.
Research Fellow, AHRB Centre for Byzantine Cultural History, Newcastle University
My research is based mostly on the Eastern Mediterranean with a focus on Turkey, Greece and Cyprus. I work especially on:
- Late Roman and Byzantine Archaeology
- Early Byzantine Ceramics,
- Roman and Byzantine Settlement and Housing,
- Pilgrimage and Sacred Places,
- Approaches to Archaeology, Art and Text,
- Gertrude Bell
As Manager of the Gertrude Bell Photographic Archive, I have a research interest in Bell and other archaeologists of the 19th and early 20th century. I work closely with a variety of people across the world, including especially TV and radio journalists, museums, academics and members of the public who wish to use photographs for both commercial and private purposes.
'Beyond Destruction' Collaborator (with RA Dr Niveen Kassem). Funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) as part of AHRC First World War Public Engagement Centres Centre for Hidden Histories Lead Collaborator Prof. John Beckett (Nottingham)
CHiLaT - 'Cultural Heritage in Landscape: Planning for Development in Turkey'. RCUK-TUBITAK Newton Project (Co-I, with PIs: Prof. Sam Turner and Prof. Engin Nurlu (Ege University, Turkey)
'Unlocking the Ionian Landscape: Historic Landscapes of Urla-Çeşme Peninsula (Izmir, Turkey)' Fellow: Dr Elif Koparal (Co-I with Prof. Sam Turner)
Apalirou Environs Survey, Naxos. Working particularly on the Byzantine ceramics.
Bogsak Archaeological Survey directed by Dr Günder Varinlioğlu.
Kilise Tepe, in the Göksu Valley, Turkey. Co-Director for Byzantine at Kilise Tepe, since 2007 with Prof. J.N.Postgate (Cambridge). (see eprints)
Survey and ceramic processing of several Late Roman Red Slipped Ware kiln sites from Pisidia, Turkey as part of the Pisidia Survey Project Directed by Dr Lutgarde Vandeput (BIAA) and Dr Veli Kose (Hacettepe University). (see eprints)
Since 2010 worked as part of the Çatalhöyük Research Project on the late cemetery in the 4040 area at Çatalhöyük. Recently prepared papers for publication on the late burials from the 4040 area and a survey around the site with Dr Sophie Moore. (see eprints)
Letters from Baghdad Assisted the Directors Zeva Oelbaum and Sabine Krayenbuehl.
Gertrude Bell and Iraq - A Life and Legacy. Collaborated with The British Institute for the Study of Iraq and the British Academy for a three-day academic conference examining the life and legacy of Gertrude Bell; The book was published in the Proceedings of the British Academy in 2017 and includes my paper on Gertrude Bell's contribution to Archaeological Research in Central Asia Minor (see eprints).
Co-Curator (with Andrew Parkin) of The Extraordinary Gertrude Bell a new major exhibition at the Great North Museum Hancock 30 January - 3rd May 2016 at Kirkleatham Museum until Spring 2017 for which we edited a series of papers on the research of various colleagues on aspects of Gertrude Bell's life.
Gertrude Bell Comics. A recent collaboration with Lydia Wysocki, comic artist John Miers, the Young Archaeologists Club and the Robinson Library resulted in our production of the Gertrude Bell comics to encourage school students into primary texts.
I have spoken at:
- Travellers to the Near East and the Great War, Royal Geographical Society London, London (March 2018)
- Workshop on Archaeological and Cultural Landscape Studies in Rough Cilicia, Mersin University, Turkey (November 2017)
- The 8th Century, Patterns of Transition in Economy and Trade throughout the Late Antique, Early Medieval and Islamicate Mediterranean, Berlin (October 2017)
- Historical Landscapes: Character, Assessment and Visualization, Izmir Institute of Technology, Turkey (2-3 June 2017)
- Levantine Ceramics Project, Athens (May 2017)
- Gertrude Bell and Iraq A Life and Legacy Panel Discussion, British Academy, London (April 2017)
- Roman Archaeology Off Limits, British Museum, London (November 2016)
- New Approaches to Historic Landscapes Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, Istanbul (Feb 2016)
- Death in Byzantium, Newcastle (30 May 2015)
- HQ 1(UK) ARMD DIV ADAPTABLE FORCE ACADEMIC SEMINAR, Strensall, (30 April 2015)
- Panel member, “If I could sink my teeth into the whole earth” Chaired debate Fine Art, Newcastle University (17 April 2015)
- Roman Research Discussion Group, Oxford (January 2015)
- Ancient Near Eastern Seminar, Cambridge (November 2014)
- Gertrude Bell Archive, Newcastle Interdisciplinary Seminar (October 2014)
- Late Antique and Byzantine Archaeology Seminar, Oxford (October 2013)
- Gertrude Bell and Iraq: A life and Legacy, British Academy (Sept 2013)
- Research Seminar Series, Edinburgh (March 2013)
- Gertrude Bell in Asia Minor, Literary and Philosophical Society, Newcastle (October 2012)
- Byzantine Ceramics, Kings College London (February 2012)
- Late Antique and Byzantine Archaeology Seminar, Oxford (May 2011)
- McDonald Institute Research Seminar, Cambridge (May 2009)
- Symposium of Excavations, Surveys and Archaeometry, Ankara (May/June 2008)
- Archaeology of the Countryside in Medieval Anatolia, Leiden (Feb 2008)
- The archaeologies of Byzantium, Edinburgh (2008)
- International Conference on Rough Cilicia, Nebraska (Oct 2007)
- Recent Research on Byzantine Pottery, London (June 2007)
- Byzantine Congress, London (August 2006)
- Concealed Communities, Newcastle (Dec 2005)
- Byzantine Symposium on Performance, Belfast (April 2005)
- IIe Congrès International sur la céramique commune, La céramique culinaire et les amphores de l’antiquité Tardive en Méditerranée: Archéologie et Archaéométrie (April 2005) (with R.S. Gabrieli and A. Kaldelis)
- Byzantine Symposium on Trade, Oxford (March 2004)
Conferences organised at Newcastle
'Gertrude Bell Symposium', Co-hosted with Dr Emma Short 19 April 2017
'Experiencing Death in Byzantium' Co-hosted with Dr Sophie Moore and Dr Niamh Bhalla 29 May 2015.
'Experiencing Byzantium'. 44th Spring Symposium of Byzantine Studies hosted in Newcastle upon Tyne 8th - 10th April 2011 with Dr Claire Nesbitt (Durham) published by Ashgate in autumn 2013. The interdisciplinary theme, 'Experiencing Byzantium', embraced all aspects of Byzantine studies and brought together historians, art historians, archaeologists and palaeographers. http://www.ashgate.com/isbn/9781472412294
'Light: a Christmas Symposium' 11 December 2009 (with Dr Sam Turner, Newcastle University)
'Art, Archaeology and Text in Byzantium', 10 December 2004 (Organiser)
Current research students:
Gianluca Foschi "The Role of Musical Proprtions in Early Christian Buildings" (Co-supervised with Dr David Creese, Prof Sam Turner and Prof Magnus Williamson)
Nigel Porter "Assessing the social and political significance of Athenian painted pottery through examination of changes in scenes of warriors departing on Attic pottery between 600 BC and 400 BC" (Co-supervised with Dr Sally Waite and Dr Joseph Skinner)
Bill Pickering "The North East Coast Industries Exhibition, Newcastle-upon-Tyne 1929"
Previous research students:
Maria Duggan (PhD student, co-supervised with Prof Sam Turner and Dr James Gerrard) Awarded PhD 2015
Vasiliki Manolopoulou (PhD student, co-supervised with Prof Sam Turner) Awarded PhD 2016
Sophie Moore “A Relational Approach to Mortuary Practices within Medieval Byzantine Anatolia”. (co-supervised with Dr Chris Fowler) Awarded PhD 2013
Katie Green “Rural Byzantine Landscapes and Societies: New Approaches to Characterization and Analysis” Awarded PhD 2013 (co-supervised with Prof Sam Turner)
Eniko Hudak (MLitt student, co-supervised with Dr James Gerrard)
I am interested in supervising research students in areas of my research.
Visiting Scholar, Trinity College, Cambridge (Feb-May 2009)
Member of Executive Committee Society for the Promotion of Byzantine Studies (2009-2012)
Member of the Council of the British Institute at Ankara (2006-2009)
- AHRC for 'Beyond Destruction' via Centre for Hidden Histories (2016)
- British Academy Newton Advanced Fellowship for Dr E. Koparal (2016) (Co-I with Sam Turner)
- AHRC-TUBITAK Newton Project (2016) Co-I (with PI: Sam Turner and Engin Nurlu (Ege University, Turkey))
- Catherine Cookson Fund (2015)
- Newcastle Institute for Creative Arts Practice (CI) (2015)
- HaSS Faculty Impact Fund (2015)
- Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies (2013)
- Dumbarton Oaks Washington D.C. Fieldwork Grant, Kilise Tepe (2011)
- Newcastle University HASS Faculty Research Fund Grant (2009)
- Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies (2009)
- Dumbarton Oaks Washington D.C. Fieldwork Grant, Kilise Tepe (2009)
- Newcastle University HASS Faculty Research Fund Grant (2008)
- In 2007, a British Academy large grant was awarded for the Kilise Tepe Archaeological Excavation. Co-I (PI: Prof. J.N. Postgate, Cambridge)
Undergraduate Teaching 2017-2018
Module Leader for:
ARA2091 Archaeologies of the Roman Empire (Semester 1)
ARA3016 Archaeology of Byzantium and its Neighbours (Semester 1)
ARA1001 Stuff: Living in a Material World (Semester 2)
- ARA1027 Introduction to Archaeology
- ARA3023 BA Dissertation
- ARA 3024 BA Dissertation
Postgraduate Teaching 2017-2018
Degree Programme Director and personal tutor for taught postgraduates on our MA Programmes:
Module Leader for:ARA8090 Research Themes, Theories and Skills in Archaeology (Semester 1)
ARA8116 Archaeology of Byzantium and its Neighbours (Semester 1)
ARA8106 Independent Study Project in Archaeology (Semester 1)
ARA8150 Graduate Seminar in Roman Archaeology (Semester 2)
ARA8172 Graduate Seminar in Byzantine Archaeology (Semester 2)
ARA8107 Independent Study Project in Archaeology (Semester 2)
ARA8099 MA Dissertation (Semester 3)
- Jackson MPC, Serifoglu TE. A British Archaeologist at the First World War Middle East Front: Gertrude Bell. In: Ozden, N; Sofuoglu, A, ed. Uluslararasi Birinci Dunya Savasi'nin 100. Yili Sempozyumu Bildiriler Kitabi. Ankara: Bitlis Eren Universitesi; Turk Tarih Kurumu, 2017, pp.463-474.
- Jackson MPC. A critical examination of Gertrude Bell’s contribution to archaeological research in central Asia Minor. In: Gertrude Bell and Iraq: A Life and Legacy. 2017, Oxford: Oxford University Press for the British Academy.
- Neri E, Jackson M, O'Hea M, Gregory T, Blet-Lemarquand M, Schibille N. Analyses of glass tesserae from Kilise Tepe: New insights into an early Byzantine production technology. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports 2017, 11, 600-612.
- Jackson M. Binbirkilise. In: Niewöhner P, ed. The Archaeology of Byzantine Anatolia. From the End of Late Antiquity to the Coming of the Turks. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2017, pp.312-320.
- Jackson M. Building on the Past: Gertrude Bell and the Transformation of Space in the Karadağ. In: Heffron,Y;Stone,A;Worthington,M, ed. At the Dawn of History. Ancient Near Eastern Studies in Honour of J. N. Postgate. Eisenbrauns, 2017, pp.239-254.
- Jackson M, Parkin A, ed. The Extraordinary Gertrude Bell. Newcastle upon Tyne: Tyne Bridge Publishing, 2016.
- Jackson M. 2007–2011 Excavations at Kilise Tepe: A Byzantine Rural Settlement in Isauria. Dumbarton Oaks Papers 2015, 69, 355-380.
- Jackson M. Constantinople: Archaeology of a Byzantine Megapolis. Final Report on the Istanbul Rescue Archaeology Project 1998-2004. Medieval Archaeology 2015, 59(1), 399-399.
- Moore S, Jackson M. Late Burials from the 4040 Area of the East Mound. In: Hodder,I, ed. Çatalhöyük excavations: the 2000-2008 seasons, volume 7. Los Angeles: Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press in association with the British Institute of Archaeology at Ankara, 2014, pp.603-620.
- Jackson M. Byzantine Settlement at Kilise Tepe in the Göksu Valley. In: Hoff, M., Townsend, R, ed. Rough Cilicia: New Historical and Archaeological Approaches. Oxford: Oxbow Books, 2013, pp.219-232.
- Nesbitt C, Jackson M, ed. Experiencing Byzantium: Papers from the 44th Spring Symposium of Byzantine Studies, Newcastle and Durham, April 2011. Farnham: Ashgate, 2013.
- Jackson MPC, Postgate JN, Serifoglu TE. Kilise Tepe 2011 Yili Kazιlarι. Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 2013, 34(2), 5-24.
- Jackson M, Zelle M, Vandeput L, Köse V. Primary evidence for Late Roman D Ware production in southern Asia Minor: a challenge to 'Cypriot Red Slip Ware'. Anatolian Studies 2012, 62, 89-114.
- Vandeput L, Kose V, Jackson M. Pisidia Survey Project 2009: Research in the Territory of Pednelissos. Arıştırma Sonuçları Toplantısı 2011, 28(3), 75-90.
- Jackson M, Postgate N. Excavations at Kilise Tepe 2009. Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 2010, 32(3), 424-446.
- Jackson M, Postgate N. Kilise Tepe 2007. Anatolian Archaeology 2010, 13, 28, & cover.
- Jackson M, Postgate N. Excavations at Kilise Tepe 2007. Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 2009, 30(3), 207-232.
- Collon D, Jackson M, Postgate N. Excavations at Kilise Tepe 2008. Kazı Sonuçları Toplantısı 2009, 31(1), 159-184.
- Jackson M, Postgate N. Kilise Tepe 2009. Anatolian Archaeology 2009, 15, 21-23.
- Jackson MPC. Local Painted Pottery Trade in early Byzantine Isauria. In: Mango, M.M, ed. Byzantine Trade, 4th-12th Centuries: The Archaeology of Local, Regional and International Exchange. Farnham, Surrey: Ashgate, 2009, pp.137-144.
- Jackson M. Medieval Rural Settlement at Kilise Tepe in the Göksu Valley. In: Vorderstrasse, T., Roodenberg, J.J, ed. Archaeology of the Countryside in Medieval Anatolia. Leiden, Netherlands: Netherlands Institute for the Near East, 2009, pp.71-83.
- Vandeput L, Kose V, Jackson M. Pisidia Survey Project 2009: pottery and more in the territory of Pednelissos. Anatolian Archaeology 2009, 15, 31-32.
- Elton H, Jackson M, Mietke G, Newhard J, Ozgenel L, Twigger E. Türkiye, Alahan'da bir Roma Kentinin Keşfi. Olba 2009, 17, 83-116.
- Jackson M. Book review: Dominique Pieri. Le commerce du vin oriental à lépoque Byzantine (Vè-VIIè siècles): le témoignage des amphores en Gaule (Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique 174). Antiquity 2008, 82(315), 229–230.
- Jackson M. Byzantine Ceramics From The Excavations at Kilise Tepe 2007 And Recent Research On Pottery From Alahan. Araştırma Sonuçları Toplantısı 2008, 26(2), 159-174.
- Jackson M, Greene K. Ceramic Production. In: Oleson, J.P, ed. The Oxford Handbook of Engineering and Technology in the Classical World. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2008, pp.496-519.
- Jackson M, Postgate N. Kilise Tepe 2008. Anatolian Archaeology 2008, 14, 23-25.
- Ousterhout RG, Jackson MPC, ed. Ramsay, W.M., And Gertrude L. Bell, The Thousand and One Churches, with newly digitized original images from Newcastle University and University of Pennsylvania Museum Archives. first published 1909.. Philadelphia, PA: University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, 2008.
- Jackson M, Greene K. Roman Pottery in the Archaeological Record. Peña, JT. Cambridge. Antiquity 2008, 82(316), 517-518.
- Jackson MPC, Collon D. Architectural Fragments. In: Postgate, JN; Thomas, DC, ed. Excavations at Kilise Tepe, 1994-98: From Bronze Age to Byzantine in Western Cilicia. University of Cambridge: McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, 2007, pp.215-230.
- Nevett L, Jackson MPC. Hellenistic Ceramics and Lamps. In: Postgate, JN; Thomas, DC, ed. Excavations at Kilise Tepe, 1994-98: From Bronze Age to Byzantine in Western Cilicia. University of Cambridge: McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, 2007, pp.279-386.
- Jackson MPC. Pottery from Level I. In: Postgate, JN; Thomas, DC, ed. Excavations at Kilise Tepe, 1994-98: From Bronze Age to Byzantine in Western Cilicia. University of Cambridge: McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, 2007, pp.387-427.
- Gabrieli RS, Jackson MPC, Kaldelis A. Stumbling into the Darkness: Trade and Life in Post-Roman Cyprus. In: Bonifay, M; Tréglia, J-C, ed. Lrcw 2: Late Roman Coarse Wares, Cooking Wares and Amphorae in the Mediterranean: Archaeology and Archaeometry. Oxford: Archaeopress, 2007, pp.791-802.
- Jackson MPC. The Church; The Northwest Corner; The Northeast Corner Sub-surface Clearance. In: Postgate, JN; Thomas, DC, ed. Excavations at Kilise Tepe, 1994-98: From Bronze Age to Byzantine in Western Cilicia. University of Cambridge: McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, 2007, pp.185-214.
- Jackson MPC. The Kilise Tepe Area in the Byzantine Era. In: Postgate, JN; Thomas, DC, ed. Excavations at Kilise Tepe, 1994-98: From Bronze Age to Byzantine in Western Cilicia. University of Cambridge: McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, 2007, pp.19-29.
- Elton H, Jackson MPC, Mietke G, Newhard J, Ozgenel L, Twigger E. A new Late-Roman urban centre in Isauria. Journal of Roman Archaeology 2006, 19(1), 300-311.
- Carlton RJ, Jackson M, Johnston R. Archaeological Fieldwork at Littlethorpe Potteries 2000-2002. Universities of Durham and Newcastle Archaeological Journal 2002, 24.
- Jackson M. A Pilgrimage Experience at Sacred Sites in Late Antique Anatolia. In: Baker,P;Forcey,C;Jundi,S;Witcher,R, ed. TRAC 98: Proceedings of the Eighth Annual Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference, Leicester 1998. Oxford: Oxbow, 1999, pp.72-85.