Law has been taught at Newcastle upon Tyne continuously since 1923. At that time, it was taught at Armstrong College (founded 1871) part of the federal University of Durham.
Armstrong College and the Newcastle upon Tyne Medical School (founded 1825) combined in 1935 as King's College, Newcastle, and in 1963, the Durham Colleges and King's College were re-constituted as the Universities of Durham and Newcastle upon Tyne respectively.
Until 1963 all law graduates in the North East of England had degrees from the federal University of Durham, but they had read law in Newcastle at Armstrong College or King's College. After that date, Newcastle law graduates took a Newcastle law degree. From 1923 to 1994, there was a Faculty of Law, first at the federal University of Durham, then from 1963 at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
In 1994, the Faculty of Law became a department, known as Newcastle Law School, in the Faculty of Law, Environment, and Social Sciences. In 2002, further re-structuring created a new Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, in which Newcastle Law School is one of nine constituent Schools. In 2006 the University of Newcastle upon Tyne adopted the style of 'Newcastle University'.