Dr Ole Pedersen
Reader in Environmental Law
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7553
I joined Newcastle Law School in 2008. Prior to this, I studied law at the University of Copenhagen (where I earned an LLB and an LLM) and at the University of Aberdeen (where I gained an LLM and a PhD). My current roles within the Law School include teaching the undergraduate Environmental Law module alongside a number of different environmental law modules on the LLM in Environmental Regulation and Sustainable Development. In addition to this I am Chair of the Board of Examiners.
My research focuses on several aspects of environmental law and regulation. First, I have a general interest in all legal and regulatory matters relating to the environment and I am joint author of Environmental Law (9th ed.), one of the leading texts in the discipline. Second, I have a keen interest in the relationship between environmental issues and human rights and I have published extensively on this subject over the years. Third, I have an interest in the theoretical foundations of environmental law as well as the role played by the courts in shaping environmental law.
Outside of Newcastle, I am Deputy Director of the Global Network for the Study of Human Rights and the Environment and I serve on the Editorial Board of the Environmental Law Review.
My research focuses on various aspects of environmental law (UK, international and European environmental law). Current work focuses on human rights and the environment, the theoretical bases of environmental law, issues relating to 'fracking' and the role played by the courts in environmental regulation.
Public international law and human rights law.
My current work includes research into the theoretical foundations of environmental law as well as work on rights and the environment. In addition, I am working on a project examining the role of courts in environmental law.
I am currently supervising research students researching environmental impacts of climate change in the Arctic, the governance aspects relating to renewable energy projects and of good practice relating to mining operations. I am interested in supervising research students in various aspects of environmental law. In particular the areas of environmental rights, environmental justice, climate change, and international environmental law.
If you would like further information on reading for a research degree at Newcastle Law School please see www.ncl.ac.uk/nuls/postgraduate/research/index.htm
Environmental Law (Law3015)
Science, Climate Change and Environmental Justice (Law8138)
International Environmental Law (Law8053)
Biodiversity and Natural Resources Law (Law8553)
- Bell S, McGillivray D, Pedersen O, Lees E, Stokes E. Environmental Law. OUP, 2017.
- Pedersen OW. Resilience in Environmental Law: Epistemic Limitations and the Role of Participation. In: Bridget M. Hutter, ed. Risk, Resilience, Inequality and Environmental Law. Edward Elgar, 2017, pp.49-63.
- Pedersen OW. Review: Versions of Academic Freedom by Stanely Fish, (2015). Legal Studies 2015, 35(3), 551-558.
- Pedersen OW. The Rhetoric of Environmental Reasoning and Responses as Applied to Fracking. Journal of Environmental Law 2015, 27(2), 325-334.
- Martikainen Mika, Pedersen Ole. Germline edits: Heat does not help debate. Nature 2015, 520(7549), 623.
- Pedersen OW. The Limits of Interdisciplinarity and the Practice of Environmental Law Scholarship. Journal of Environmental Law 2014, 26(3).
- Pedersen OW. Opinion: What Happened to Environmental Justice?. Environmental Law Review 2014, 16(2), 87-90.
- Pedersen OW. From Abundance to Indeterminacy: The Precautionary Principle and its Two Camps of Custom. Transnational Environmental Law 2014, 3(02), 323-339.
- Pedersen OW. Legal Reasoning in Environmental Law: A Study of Structure, Form and Language by Douglas Fisher [Book review]. Journal of Environmental Law 2014, 26(2), 357-359.
- Pedersen OW. The Price is Right: Aarhus and Access to Justice. Civil Justice Quarterly 2014, 33(1), 13-17.
- Pedersen OW. Review: Green Governance: Ecological Survival, Human Rights, and the Law of the Commons by Burns H. Weston and David Bollier. Journal of Law and Society 2013, 40(3), 468-471.
- Bell S, McGillivray D, Pedersen OW. Environmental Law. Oxford University Press, 2013.
- Pedersen OW. Environmental Risks, Rights and Black Swans. Environmental Law Review 2013, 15(1).
- Pedersen OW. Environmental Enforcement Undertakings and Possible Implications: Responsive, Smarter or Rent Seeking?. Modern Law Review 2013, 76(2), 319-345.
- Pedersen OW. Modest Pragmatic Lessons for a Diverse and Incoherent Environmental Law. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 2013, 33(1), 103-131.
- Pedersen OW. Review of: Green Governance: Ecological Survival, Human Rights, and the Law of the Commons, by Burns H. Weston and David Bollier. Journal of Law and Society 2013, 40(3), 468-471.
- Pedersen OW. An International Environmental Court and International Legalism. Journal of Environmental Law 2012, 24(3), 547-558.
- Pedersen OW. A Perfect Moral Storm. Journal of Environmental Law 2012, 24(2), 392-394.
- Pedersen OW, Cho HS. Environmental Rights and Future Generations. In: Tushnet, M., Fleiner, T., Saunders, C, ed. Handbook on Constitutional Law. London: Routledge, 2013, pp.401-412.
- Pedersen OW. C Cullinan, Wild Law: A Manifesto for Earth Justice. Environmental Liability 2011, 19(3), 104.
- Pedersen OW. The Janus-Head of Human Rights and Climate Change: Adaptation and Mitigation. Nordic Journal of International Law 2011, 80(4), 403-423.
- Pedersen OW. Price and participation: the UK before the Aarhus Convention's Compliance Committee. Environmental Law Review 2011, 13(2), 115-123.
- Murray C, Pedersen O. Examining Critical Perspectives on Human Rights: An Introduction. In: Examining Critical Perspectives on Human Rights. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012, pp.3-18.
- Dickinson RA, Katselli-Proukaki E, Murray C, Pedersen O, ed. Examining Critical Perspectives on Human Rights. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Pedersen OW. Environmental Justice in the UK: Uncertainty, Ambiguity and the Law. Legal Studies 2011, 31(2), 279-304.
- Pedersen OW. A Bill of Rights, Environmental Rights and the UK Constitution. Public Law 2011, n/a(2), 577-595.
- Pedersen OW. Diversity, Dissonance and Denial: Exploring The Canengusian Environmental Connection. Journal Jurisprudence 2010, 7, 379-403.
- Pedersen OW. Climate Change and Human Rights: Amicable or Arrested Development?. Journal of Human Rights and the Environment 2010, 1(2), 236-251.
- Pedersen OW. 'Climategate': Group Polarisation and Hockey Tricks. Environmental Liability 2010, 18(1), 11.
- Pedersen OW. The Ties that Bind: The Environment, the European Convention on Human Rights and the Rule of Law. European Public Law 2010, 16(4), 571-595.
- Pedersen OW, Pillai A, Slater AM. Justice and Sustainable Development:Compatibility or Conflict? A Scottish Case Study. In: French, D, ed. Global Justice and Sustainable Development. Leiden: Brill, 2010, pp.363-382.
- Pedersen OW. Environmental Principles and Environmental Justice. Environmental Law Review 2010, 12(1), 1-24.
- Slater A-M, Pedersen OW. Environmental justice: lessons on definition and delivery from Scotland. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 2009, 52(6), 797-812.
- Pedersen OW. Transatlantic Movements of Justice: A Story of Inspiration and Diversity. Environmental Justice 2009, 2(1), 35-42.
- Pedersen OW. European Environmental Human Rights and Environmental Rights: A Long Time Coming?. Georgetown International Environmental Law Review 2008, 21(1), 73-111.
- Pedersen OW. Review of Access to Environmental Justice: A Comparative Study A. Harding (ed.) Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2007. Environmental Law Review 2009, 11(3), 228-229.
- Pedersen OW. Benefits and Costs of the Environment: Copenhagen Consensus 2008. Journal of Environmental Law 2008, 20(3), 465-473.
- Pedersen OW. Regulation, Enforcement and Governance in Environmental Law, 2nd edition. By Richard Macrory [Book review]. Journal of Environmental Law 2015, 27(3), 555-558.
- Warnock C, Pedersen OW. Environmental Adjudication: Mapping the Spectrum and Identifying the Fulcrum. Public Law 2017. In Press.