Dr Helen St Clair-Thompson
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6175
- Address: School of Psychology (Room 5.19)
Ridley Building 1
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
I came to the University of Newcastle in 2013 following eight years as a lecturer at the University of Hull. I have experience teaching a range of topics in psychology. I have published on the subject of working memory, and more recently on the topic of mental toughness. I am also interested in the teaching and learning of psychology.
I am an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society and a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. I have also held a number of external roles, including as external examiner.
I am particularly interested in psychology applied to education. I am interested in the concept of mental toughness, describing how we deal with stress and pressure irrespective of prevailing circumstances. I have carried out research concerned with mental toughness in educational settings but am also interested in mental toughness applied to other areas including cognition and health.
Some of my other research is concerned with working memory, a cognitive system used for storing and processing information during cognitive tasks. I am interested in the cognitive underpinnings of working memory and performance on working memory tasks, and how working memory (and associated executive functions) relate to children's educational achievement.
I am also interested in the teaching and learning of psychology, and a member of a special interest group for educational research in psychology.
PSY1012 Introduction to Psychology for Joint Honours
PSY3000 Psychology Professional Placement Year
PSY3027 Disorders of Development: A Psychological Perspective
PSY3031 The Psychology of Teaching and Learning
PSY8044 Disorders of Development: A Psychological Perspective
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Project Supervision
BSc Psychology Senior Tutor
- Ward F, St Clair-Thompson H, Postlethwaite A. Mental Toughness and Perceived Stress in Police and Fire Officers. Policing: An International Journal 2017. In Press.
- McGeown SP, Putwain D, St Clair-Thompson H, Clough P. Understanding and supporting adolescents' mental toughness in an educational context. Psychology in the Schools 2017, 54(2), 196-209.
- St Clair-Thompson H, Giles R, McGeown S, Putwain D, Clough P, Perry J. Mental toughness and transitions to high school and to undergraduate study. Educational Psychology 2017, 37(7), 792-809.
- McGeown S, St Clair-Thompson H, Putwain DW. The Development and Validation of a Mental Toughness Scale for Adolescents. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Clough P, Oaks S, Dagnall N, St Clair-Thompson H, McGeown S. The Study of Non-cognitive Attributes in Education: Proposing the Mental Toughness Framework. In: M. S. Khine & S. Areepattamannil, ed. Non-Cognitive Skills and Factors in Educational Attainment. Sense Publishers, 2016, pp.315–329.
- St Clair-Thompson H, McGeown S. Mental toughness: Correlates with educational outcomes. In: M. S. Khine & S. Areepattamannil, ed. Non-Cognitive Skills and Factors in Educational Attainment. Sense Publishers, 2016, pp.331–353.
- McGeown S, St Clair-Thompson H, Putwain D, Clough P. Individual differences in education outcomes: Applying a model of mental toughness. In: E. Roberson, ed. Psychology of Individual Differences: New research. NovaScience Publishers, 2016, pp.69-92.
- McGeown SP, StClair-Thompson H, Clough P. The study of non-cognitive attributes in education: proposing the mental toughness framework. Educational Review 2016, 68(1), 96-113.
- Bugler M, McGeown S, StClair-Thompson H. An investigation of gender and age differences in academic motivation and classroom behaviour in adolescents. Educational Psychology 2016, 36(7), 1196-1218.
- St Clair-Thompson H, Bugler M, Robinson J, Clough P, McGeown SP, Perry J. Mental toughness in education: Exploring relationships with attainment, attendance, behaviour and peer relationships. Educational Psychology 2015, 35(7), 886-907.
- Bugler M, McGeown S, StClair-Thompson H. Gender differences in adolescents’ academic motivation and classroom behaviour. Educational Psychology 2015, 35(5), 541-556.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. Mental toughness in higher education. In: D. Strycharczyk & P. Clough, ed. Developing Mental Toughness in Young People: Approaches to Achievement, Well-being and Positive Behaviour. London: Karnac Books, 2014, pp.157-162.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. Mental toughness in secondary schools. In: D. Strycharczyk & P. Clough, ed. Developing Mental Toughness in Young People: Approaches to Achievement, Well-being and Positive Behaviour. London: Karnac Books, 2014, pp.149-156.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. Establishing the reliability and validity of a computerized assessment of children's working memory for use in group settings. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment 2014, 32(1), 15-26.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, ed. Working memory: Developmental differences, component processes, and improvement mechanisms. New York: Novascience, 2013.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. Working Memory and Children's Scholastic Attainment from 7 to 15 Years of Age: Developmental Differences and the Contribution of Speed of Processing. In: H.L. St Clair-Thompson, ed. Working Memory: Developmental Differences, Component Processes and Improvement Mechanisms. Novascience, 2013, pp.1-16.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, Allen RJ. Are forwards and backwards recall the same? A dual-task study of digit recall. Memory and Cognition 2013, 41(4), 519-532.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. Ascending versus randomised list lengths in working memory span tasks. Journal of Cognitive Psychology 2012, 24(3), 335-341.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, Overton T, Bugler M. Mental capacity and working memory in chemistry: Algorithmic versus open-ended problem solving. Chemistry Education Research and Practice 2012, 13(4), 484-489.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. Working memory span tasks: The effects of task structure and administration and scoring procedures. In: D. Hendrix & O. Holcomb, ed. The Psychology of Memory. Hauppage, New York: Nova Science, 2012, pp.183-206.
- Bugler M, St Clair-Thompson HL, McGeown SP. Sex, gender identity and adolescent's academic motivation and classroom behaviour. In: S.P. McGeown, ed. The Psychology of Gender Differences. New York: Novascience, 2012, pp.107-130.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. Executive functions and working memory behaviours in children with a poor working memory. Learning and Individual Differences 2011, 21(4), 409-414.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. Backwards digit recall: A measure of short-term memory or working memory?. European Journal of Cognitive Psychology 2010, 22(2), 286-297.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, Stevens R, Hunt A, Bolder E. Improving children's working memory and classroom performance. Educational Psychology 2010, 30, 203-220.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, Sykes S. Scoring methods and the predictive ability of working memory tasks. Behavior Research Methods 2010, 42, 969-975.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, Overton T, Botton C. Information processing; A review of implications of Johnstone's model for science education. Research in Science and Technological Education 2010, 28(2), 131-148.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, Botton C. Working memory and science education: Exploring the compatibility of theoretical approaches. Research in Science and Technological Education 2009, 27, 139-150.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, Holmes J. Improving short-term and working memory: Methods of memory training. In: N.B. Johansen, ed. New Research in Short-Term Memory. Novascience, 2008.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. The effects of cognitive demand upon relationships between working memory and cognitive skills. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 2007, 60, 1378-1388.
- St Clair-Thompson HL, Gathercole SE. Executive functions and achievements in school: Shifting, updating, inhibition and working memory. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology 2006, 20, 745-759.
- St Clair-Thompson HL. The influence of strategies upon relationships between working memory and cognitive skills. Memory 2007, 15, 353-365.