Dr Sharron Kuznesof
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8889
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6720
- Address: Room 3.19 Agriculture Building
Applied Social Sciences - School of Natural and Environmental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
Sharron is a Senior Lecturer in food marketing specialising in food consumer research. She is a qualitative researcher and has participated in research funded by the EU, Food Standards Agency, EPSRC and Department of Trade and Industry. Sharron has been involved in both programme development and teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. She is presently Degree Programme Director for BSc Food Marketing and Nutrition and is Gender Champion in the Faculty of Science, Agriculture and Engineering, a role which includes supporting the Athena SWAN charter principles within the Faculty. She has a PhD in novel food acceptance from Newcastle University and is a member of the Knowledge Transfer Network Bioscience Food Group. Her research focuses on personalised nutrition, food fraud and authenticity, food risk communication, food consumer behaviour and novel food and technological acceptance.
Citations to her papers in Google Scholar can be found here.
- Personalised nutrition
- Food authenticity and integrity
- Dietary change
- Consumer acceptance of novel foods and technologies
- Food risk communication
- Interpretive consumer research
- Secondary analysis of qualitative data sets
- Grounded theory
- Computer-assisted qualitative data analysis: NVivo
Recent Research Projects
WEFWEBs: analysis of the multiple dimensions of the water, energy and food nexus. This part of the research examines WEF resource use at the household level. EPSRC 2016-2018.
Ensuring the Integrity of the European Food Chain (FOODINTEGRITY), EU FP7. Work Package 7, consumers attitudes and perceptions of food authenticity and traceability 2014-2018.
Personalised Nutrition: An Integrated Analysis of Opportunities and Challenges (Food4Me), EU FP7, Co-investigator Work Package 2, Consumer attitudes to personalised nutrition 2011-2015.
Domestic Kitchens and Food Safety (Kitchen Life): ART Feasibility Study, Food Standards Agency Funded 2011-2013 (Co-investigator).
Areas of expertise where I would welcome PhD applications and enquiries:
- novel food and technological acceptance
- domestically situated food practices, e.g. food safety and food waste
- food authenticity and integrity in the food supply chain
- consumers perceived authenticity of foods
- food choice and dietary change
- Gillian Rodriguez 'The Potential Manifestation of Plance as a Brand COmponent of Regional Meat: The Cases of Cumbrian Salt Marsh Lamb and Herdwick Lamb'
- Helen Kendall “Food provisioning and domestic food hygiene practices of the over 60s in the North East of England” (Food Standards Agency funded scholar). (Completed 2013). (Principle supervisor with Dr Mary Brennan and Prof Chris Seal).
- Nichol Watson “’5’ a day: A holistic investigation into the relationship of factors and motivations contributing to the achievement of the recommended intake of fruit and vegetables” (ESRC Scholar) (Co-supervisor with Prof Chris Ritson) (Completed 2012).
- Eleftherios Alamanos “Attitudes and perceptions of UK consumers towards Greek wines” (Completed 2009) (Co-supervisor with Prof Chris Ritson).
- Angela Jones “Attitudinal and physiological responses to the consumption of wholegrain foods” (Completed 2007) (Co-supervisor with Prof Chris Seal).
- Ailbhe Smith “Sociological and dietary responses to the consumption of low-fat and wholegrain foods” (Completed 2004) (Co-supervisor with Prof Chris Seal).
ACE1000 Introduction to Marketing and Consumer Behaviour
ACE2000 Marketing Strategy Issues and Concepts
ACE2073 New Food Product Development
ACE3201 Marketing and Public Policy
ACE3202 Communication and Behaviour Change
- Macready AL, Fallaize R, Butler TL, Ellis JA, Kuznesof S, Frewer LJ, Celis-Morales C, Livingstone KM, Araújo-Soares V, Fischer A, Stewart-Knox B, Mathers JM, Lovegrove JA. Application of Behavior Change Techniques in a Personalized Nutrition Electronic Health Intervention Study: Protocol for the Web-Based Food4Me Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR Research Protocols 2018, 7(4), e87.
- Kendall H, Kaptan G, Stewart G, Grainger M, Kuznesof S, Naughton P, Clark B, Hubbard C, Raley M, Marvin HJP, Frewer LJ. Drivers of existing and emerging food safety risks: Expert opinion regarding multiple impacts. Food Control 2018, 90, 440-458.
- Rankin A, Bunting B, Poínhos P, van der Lans IA, Fischer ARH, Kuznesof S, Almeider MV, Markovina J, Frewer LJF, Stewart-Knox BJ. Food choice motives, attitudes toward and intention to adopt personalised nutrition. Public Health Nutrition 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Kendall H, Naughton P, Kuznesof S, Raley M, Dean M, Clark B, Stolz H, Home R, Chan MY, Zhong Q, Brereton P, Frewer LJ. Food Fraud and the Perceived Integrity of European Food Imports into China. PLoS One 2018, 13(5), e0195817.
- El Benni N, Stolz H, Home R, Kendall H, Kuznesof S, Clark B, Dean M, Brereton P, Frewer LJ, Chan MY, Zhong Q, Stolze M. Product attributes and consumer attitudes affecting preferences for infant milk formula in China - a latent class approach. Food Quality and Preference 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Brennan L, Cusack T, Delahunt E, Kuznesof S, Donnelly S. Academics’ conceptualisations of the research-teaching nexus in a research-intensive Irish university: A dynamic framework for growth & development. Learning and Instruction 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Poínhos P, Oliveira BMPM, van der Lans IV, Fischer ARH, Berezowska A, Rankin A, Kuznesof S, Stewart-Knox B, Frewer LJF, de Almeida MDV. Providing Personalised Nutrition: Consumers' Trust and Preferences Regarding Sources of Information, Service Providers and Regulators, and Communication Channels. Public Health Genomics 2017, 20, 218-228.
- Rankin A, Kuznesof S, Frewer LJ, Orr K, Davison J, deAlmeida MDV, Stewart-Knox B. Public perceptions of personalised nutrition through the lens of Social Cognitive Theory. Journal of Health Psychology 2017, 22(10), 1233-1242.
- Jones AR, Mann KD, Kuznesof SA, Richardson DP, Seal CJ. The whole grain content of foods consumed in the UK. Food Chemistry 2017, 214, 453-459.
- Lacey C, Clark B, Frewer L, Kuznesof S. "Reaching its limits”: Industry perspectives on salt reduction. British Food Journal 2016, 118(7), 1610-1624.
- Kendall H, Brennan M, Seal C, Lahda C, Kuznesof S. Behind the Kitchen Door: A novel mixed method approach for exploring the food provisioning practices of the older consumer. Food Quality and Preference 2016, 53, 105-116.
- Chatzopoulou E, Gorton M, Kuznesof S. Defining food authenticity: An efficient promotion for ethnic restaurants. In: EURAM 2016. 2016, Paris, France: European Academy of Management.
- Stewart Knox BJ, Markovina J, Rankin R, Bunting B, Kusnezof S, Fischer A, van der Lans I, Poinhos R, Vaz de Almeida MD, Panzone L, Gibney M, Frewer LJ. Making personalised nutrition the easy choice: creating policies to break down the barriers and reap the benefits. Food Policy 2016, 63, 134-144.
- Tan KYM, van der Beek EM, Kuznesof SA, Seal CJ. Perception and understanding of health claims on milk powder for children: A focus group study among mothers in Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand. Appetite 2016, 105, 747-757.
- Frewer LJ, Coles D, Dijkstra AM, Kuznesof S, Kendall H, Kaptan G. Synthetic Biology Applied in the Agrifood Sector: Societal Priorities and Pitfalls. APSTRACT 2016, 10(2-3), 89-97.
- Fischer ARH, Berezowska A, vanderLans IA, Ronteltap A, Rankin A, Kuznesof S, Poinhois R, Stewart-Knox B, Frewer LJ. Willingness to pay for personalised nutrition across Europe. European Journal of Public Health 2016, 26(4), 640-644.
- Giles EL, Kuznesof S, Clark B, Hubbard C, Frewer LJ. Consumer acceptance of and willingness to pay for food nanotechnology: a systematic review. Journal of Nanoparticle Research 2015, 17, 467.
- Markovina J, Stewart-Knox B, Rankin A, Gibney M, Almeida MD, Fischer A, Kuznesof S, Poinhos R, Panzone L, Frewer LJ. Food4Me study: Validity and reliability of Food Choice Questionnaire in 9 European countries. Food Quality and Preference 2015, 45, 26-32.
- Stewart-Knox B, Rankin A, Kuznesof S, Poínhos R, de Almeida MDV, Fischer A, Frewer LJ. Promoting healthy dietary behaviour through personalised nutrition: technology push or technology pull. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2015, 74(2), 171-176.
- Fallaize R, Macready AL, Butler LT, Ellis JA, Berezowska A, Fischer ARH, Walsh M, Gallagher C, Stewart-Knox BJ, Kuznesof S, Frewer LJ, Gibney M, Lovegrove JA. The perceived impact of the National Health Service on personalised nutrition service delivery among the UK public. British Journal of Nutrition 2015, 113(8), 1271-1279.
- Markovina J, Stewart-Knox B, Frewer LJ, Gibney M, Almeida MD, Rankin A, Kuznesof S, Poinhos R, Fischer ARH. Perceived barriers to the uptake of personalised nutrition: a comparison between European countries. In: 11th NuGOweek 2014 conference “Nutrigenomics of Foods”. 2014, Naples, Italy: Wageningen Academic Publishers.
- Poínhos R, van der Lans IA, Rankin A, Fischer ARH, Bunting B, Kuznesof S, Stewart-Knox B, Frewer LJ. Psychological Determinants of Consumer Acceptance of Personalised Nutrition in 9 European Countries. PLoS One 2014, 9(10), e110614.
- Alamanos E, Kuznesof S, Ritson C. The influence of holidays on wine purchasing behaviour: Marketing and tourism insights based on a holiday experience in Greece. International Journal of Tourism Research 2014, (ePub ahead of print).
- Berezowska A, Fischer ARJ, Ronteltap A, Kuznesof S, MacCready A, Fallaize R, vanTrijp HCM. Understanding consumer evaluations of personalised nutrition services in terms of the privacy calculus: a qualitative study. Public Health Genomics 2014, 17(3), 127-140.
- Kendall H, Kuznesof S, Seal C, Dobson S, Brennan M. Domestic food safety and the older consumer: A segmentation analysis. Food Quality and Preference 2013, 28(1), 396-406.
- Stewart-Knox B, Kuznesof S, Robinson J, Rankin A, Orr K, Duffy M, Poínhos R, de Almeida MD, Macready A, Gallagher C, Berezowska A, Fischer ARH, Navas-Carretero S, Riemer M, Traczyk I, Gjelstad IMF, Mavrogianni C, Frewer LJ. Factors influencing European consumer uptake of personalised nutrition: Results of a qualitative analysis. Appetite 2013, 66, 67-74.
- Rankin A, Stewart-Knox B, Duffy M, Kuznesof S, Fischer A, deAlmeida M, Davison J, Orr K, Macready A, Walsh M, Gibney M, Frewer L. Food4Me Personalised Nutrition: What does the consumer want. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 2013, 63(S1), 345-346.
- Brownlee IA, Kuznesof S, Moore C, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. The impact of a 16-week dietary intervention with prescribed amounts of whole-grain foods on subsequent, elective whole grain consumption. British Journal of Nutrition 2013, 110(5), 943-948.
- Kuznesof S, Brownlee IA, Moore C, Richardson DP, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. WHOLEheart study participant acceptance of wholegrain foods. Appetite 2012, 59(1), 187-193.
- Treagear A, Dobson S, Brennan M, Kuznesof S. Critically divided?: How marketing educators perceive undergraduate programmes in the UK. European Journal of Marketing 2010, 44(1-2), 66-86.
- Brownlee IA, Moore C, Chatfield M, Richardson DP, Ashby P, Kuznesof SA, Jebb SA, Seal CJ. Markers of cardiovascular risk are not changed by increased whole-grain intake: the WHOLEheart study, a randomised, controlled dietary intervention. British Journal of Nutrition 2010, 104(1), 125-134.
- Kuznesof S. Reusing Qualitative Data to Generate Theory: Reflections on ‘Working at the Margins’. In: Reflective Marketing in a Material World: Academy of Marketing annual conference. 2008, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.
- Tregear A, Kuznesof S, Brennan M. Critical Apporaches in undergraudate marketing teaching: Investigating students perceptions. Journal of Marketing Management 2007, 23(5-6), 411-424.
- Kuznesof S, Brennan M. Perceived Risk and Product Safety in the Food Supply Chain. In: Bourlakis, M.A., Weightman, P.W.H, ed. Food Supply Chain Management. London, UK: Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2004, pp.32-48.
- Miles S, Brennan M, Kuznesof S, Ness M, Ritson C, Frewer LJ. Public worry about specific food safety issues. British Food Journal 2004, 106(1), 9-22.
- Smith AT, Kuznesof S, Richardson DP, Seal CJ. Behavioural, attitudinal and dietary responses to the consumption of wholegrain foods. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2003, 62(2), 455-467.
- Frewer LJ, Hunt S, Brennan M, Kuznesof S, Ness M, Ritson C. The views of scientific experts on how the public conceptualize uncertainty. Journal of Risk Research 2003, 6(1), 75-85.
- Frewer LJ, Miles S, Brennan M, Kuznesof S, Ness M, Ritson C. Public preferences for informed choice under conditions of risk uncertainty. Public Understanding of Science 2002, 11(4), 363-372.
- Ness M, Gorton M, Kuznesof S. The student shopper: Segmentation on the basis of attitudes to store features and shopping behaviour. British Food Journal 2002, 104(7), 506.
- Frewer LJ, Hunt S, Miles S, Brennan M, Kuznesof S, Ness M, Ritson C. Communicating risk uncertainty with the public. London: Food Standards Agency, 2001. Final Report and Technical Annex.
- Tregear A, Kuznesof S, Moxey A. Policy initiatives for regional foods: Some insights from consumer research. Food Policy 1998, 23(5), 383-394.
- Kuznesof S, Tregear A, Moxey A. Regional foods: a consumer perspective. British Food Journal, 99 (6), 199-206 1997.
- Kuznesof S, Ritson C. Consumer acceptability of genetically modified foods with special reference to farmed salmon. British Food Journal, 98, (4-5), 39-47 1996.
- Kuznesof S, Ritson C. The Role of Marketing Rural Food Products. The Rural Economy and the British Countryside. London: Earthscan. Eds: Allanson, P. and Whitby, M., , 99-115 1996.