Our specialisms include:
- questions of faith and religion in poetry and the novel
- industry and the idea of progress
- the Anglo-American periodical in high and popular culture
- book history
- slavery and abolitionism
- the travelogue
- the politics of the child and children's literature
- genealogies of feminism and economics
- Victorian poetry
- the Victorian novel
- the visual arts.
19th-century and Victorian archives in Newcastle include the Special Collections in the University's Robinson Library, which has a major Nineteenth-Century Novel collection, and the Tyne and Wear Archives. We also work with the Lit and Phil, which has extensive eighteenth and nineteenth-century holdings.