Dr Helen Freshwater
Reader in Theatre & Performance
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7764
I took my PhD, MRes and undergraduate degrees at Edinburgh University, and taught at Nottingham University and Birkbeck College, London, before joining Newcastle University in 2011.
My research focuses upon twentieth century British theatre and contemporary performance, and my publications include Theatre & Audience and Theatre Censorship in Britain: Silencing, Censure and Suppression (which were both published by Palgrave Macmillan in 2009). I am a contributing editor to New Theatre Quarterly and Performing Ethos. In 2011 I was awarded a Philip Leverhulme Prize to support my current research project, which explores how contemporary theatre uses child performers and constructs the figure of the child through performance.
My research focuses upon twentieth century British theatre and contemporary performance, and I have published on censorship; audiences, participation and interactivity; archive theory and historiography; and British physical theatres. My current research explores the representation of children and childhood in contemporary British theatre and performance.
I welcome applications from postgraduate students working in any of the above fields.
In November 2011 I was awarded a Philip Leverhulme Prize to support my research into the theatrical representation of children and childhood. These prizes are made to outstanding young scholars who have made a substantial and recognised contribution to their field of study at international level.
I will be giving a paper at the 'British Theatre in the 21st Century' conference in Paris in October 2016, and have invited to lecture at the Centre for Spectatorship and Audience Research at the University of Toronto in November.
In Semester 2 2016-17 I am convening and teaching on:
SEL1031 'Drama, Theatre, Performance'
SEL2217 'Popular Performance Here and Now'
I will also be contributing to SEL8452 'Research Matters 2'.
- Freshwater H. Children and the Limits of Representation in the Work of Tim Crouch. In: Angelaki, V, ed. Contemporary British Theatre: Breaking New Ground. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013, pp.167-188.
- Freshwater H. The censorship of the stage: writing on the edge of the allowed. In: Powell, K; Raby, P, ed. Oscar Wilde in Context. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2013, pp.278-288.
- Freshwater H. Consuming Authenticities: Billy Elliot the Musical and the Performing Child. The Lion and the Unicorn 2012, 36(2), 154-173.
- Freshwater H. The Author: Tim Crouch in Conversation with Helen Freshwater. Performing Ethos 2011, 1(2), 181-196.
- Freshwater H. 'You Say Something': Audience Participation and The Author. Contemporary Theatre Review 2011, 21(4), 405-409.
- Freshwater H. Delirium: In Rehearsal with theatre O. In: Mermikides, A, Smart, J, ed. Devising in Process. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010, pp.128-146.
- Freshwater H. Theatre & Audience. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Freshwater H. Theatre Censorship in Britain: Silencing, Censure and Suppression. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Freshwater H. ‘Physical Theatre: Complicite and the Question of Authority’. In: Holdsworth, N., Luckhurst, M, ed. A Concise Companion to Contemporary British and Irish Drama. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2007, pp.171-199.
- Freshwater H. Sex, Violence and Censorship: London’s Grand Guignol and the negotiation of the limit. Theatre Research International 2007, 32(3), 247-262.
- Freshwater H. Fingers on the collective pulse? Frantic Assembly and the future of theatre. Performance Research 2004, 9(3), 30-43.
- Freshwater H. Towards a Redefinition of Censorship. In: Müller, B, ed. Censorship and Cultural Regulation in the Modern Age. Amsterdam and New York: Rodophi, 2004, pp.225-245.
- Freshwater H. The Allure of the Archive. Poetics Today 2003, 24(4), 729-758.
- Freshwater H. Anti-theatrical Prejudice and the Persistence of Performance: the Lord Chamberlain's Plays and Correspondence Archive. Performance Research 2002, 7(4), 50-58.
- Freshwater H. Performance Theory, Practice, and the Intrusion of the Real. In: Scanlon, J; Waste A, ed. Crossing Boundaries: Thinking through Literature. United Kingdom: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd, 2001, pp.189-199.
- Freshwater H. Suppressed Desire: dramatic inscriptions of lesbianism in 1930s Britain. New Theatre Quarterly 2001, 17(4), 310-318.
- Freshwater H. The Ethics of Indeterminacy: Theatre de Complicite’s Mnemonic. New Theatre Quarterly 2001, 17(3), 212-218.
- Freshwater H. Agency, Power, and the Inner Child: The ‘Revolting Children’ of Matilda. In: Leve, J; Ruwe, D, ed. Children, Childhood and Musical Theater. Farnham: Ashgate, 2016. In Preparation.