Dr Kirsten MacLeod
Lecturer in Eng Lit, Victorian/Modern
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7118
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/elll/staff/profile/kirsten.macleod
On leave to January 2016
PhD English, University of Alberta
MLIS, University of Alberta
MA English, McGill University
BA (Drama and Theatre), McGill University
Adjunct Assistant Professor, University of Alberta (2008-2011)
Society for the History of Authorship, Reading and Publishing
Canadian Association for the Study of Book Culture
Research Society for Victorian Periodicals
Modernist Studies Association
British Association for Modernist Studies
North American Victorian Studies Association
Victorian Studies Association of Western Canada
My research interests include American and British print culture of the long fin-de-siecle (1870-1930). Particular interests include: Aestheticism and Decadence, the relationship between high and popular culture, magazines in literary and cultural history, and collectors and the role of collectors and institutions as shapers and gatekeepers of cultural history. My publications have centred on Decadence, fin-de-siecle writers, and American little magazines of the 1890s.
I am currently completing a monograph on American little magazines of the 1890s, which is under contract with the University of Toronto Press in its Book and Print Culture series. I am also now working on a monograph on Carl Van Vechten, critic of music, dance, theatre, and literature; novelist; portrait photographer; unofficial literary agent; and patron of the arts. The monograph explores Van Vechten's long overlooked but important role in shaping Modernism in America in the first half of the twentieth century.
Curator's talk for American Little Magazines of the 1890s: A Revolution in Print: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9wjkn_KdGE
Eccles Eccles Centre Visiting Fellowship in American Studies, British Library (2012)
Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) Standard Research Grant (2008-2012)
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center Fellowship (2004-2005)
SSHRC Post-doctoral Fellowship (2002-2004)
SEMESTER 2 (2015-2016)
SEL 3375 Cultures of Decadence: From the Wilde 90s to the Jazz Age
SEL 8188 Reading the Past
I welcome applications from research students interested in Aestheticism and Decadence; periodical studies; late-Victorian and Modernist "high" and popular print culture; 19th and early 20th-century transatlantic literary networks; and publishing history.
- MacLeod K. Material Turns of the Screw: The Collier’s Weekly Serialization of The Turn of the Screw . Cahiers Victoriens et édouardiens 2016, 84, 21 ms. pp. Submitted.
- MacLeod K. American Little Magazines of the 1890s and the Rise of the Professional-Managerial Class. English Studies in Canada 2015, 41(1), 41-68.
- MacLeod K. What People Really Read in 1922: If Winter Comes, the Bestseller in the annus mirabilis of Modernism. In: MacDonald,K; Singer, C, ed. Transitions in Middlebrow Writing, 1880-1930. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2015, pp.272.
- MacLeod K. "Ernest Dowson". Oxford Bibliographies Online: Victorian Literature 2013.
- MacLeod K. American Little Magazines of the 1890s: A Revolution in Print. 2013. 47 East 60th Street, New York City: Grolier Club, 170.
- Macleod K. Making It New, Old School: Carl Van Vechten and Decadent Modernism. Symbiosis 2012, 16(2), 209-224.
- MacLeod K. The "Librarian's Dream-Prince": Carl Van Vechten and America's Modernist Cultural Archives Industry. Libraries & the Cultural Record 2011, 46(4), 360-387.
- MacLeod K. The First Appearance of Jack London's Bald-Face (1900). Papers of the Bibliographical Society of America 2010, 104(3), 347-352.
- MacLeod K. M. P. Shiel and the Love of Pubescent Girls: The Other Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name. English Literature in Transition 1880-1920 2008, 51(4), 355-380.
- MacLeod K. The Fine Art of Cheap Print: Turn-of-the-Century American Little Magazines. In: Ann Ardis and Patrick Collier, ed. Transatlantic Print Culture 1880-1940: Emerging Media, Emerging Modernisms. Basingstoke, UK: Palgrave MacMillan, 2008, pp.182-198.
- MacLeod K, Badley J. Women, Writing, and Reading. 2007. University of Alberta: Bruce Peel Special Collections Library, 75.
- MacLeod K. ‘Art for America’s Sake’: Decadence and the Making of American Literary Culture in the Little Magazines of the 1890s. Prospects: An Annual of American Cultural Studies 2006, 31, 309-339.
- MacLeod K. Fictions of British Decadence: High Art, Popular Literature and the fin de siècle. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006.
- MacLeod K. Wormwood, by Marie Corelli. 2004. Peterborough, ON: Broadview Press.