Professor Michael Rossington
Professor of Romantic Literature
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3427
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8708
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/elll/staff/profile/michael.rossington
- Address: School of English Literature, Language & Linguistics
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
I joined Newcastle University in 1993. I was appointed to a Personal Chair in 2014.
Roles and responsibilities
Academic Director (Newcastle University), Northern Bridge Doctoral Training Partnership.
External examiner for the MAs in 'The Eighteenth Century' and 'Nineteenth-Century Studies' at the University of Sheffield.
MA, DPhil (Oxon)
Senior Lecturer in English Literature, Newcastle University (2000-14)
Lecturer in English Literature, Newcastle University (1993-2000)
Lecturer in Literature, The Open University (1988-92)
The literature of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, with a particular focus on bibliography, comparative literature, continental Europe, life-writing, manuscript studies, poetry, republican thought, translation, the work of Percy Shelley and Mary Shelley and its reception in the nineteenth century, and textual editing.
Scholarly editions of poems and plays for the fifth and final volume of the Longman Annotated English Poets edition of The Poems of Shelley (which I'm co-ordinating for Routledge) and a monograph on the poetry of Percy Shelley.
Co-lead with Jennifer Richards (School of English Literature, Language and Linguistics), Paul Watson (School of Computing Science) and Magnus Williamson (School of Arts and Cultures) of 'Animating Text at Newcastle University', an award from Newcastle University's Research Investment Fund (2016-2019)
Modern Humanities Research Association Research Associateship (2014-15)
Visiting research appointments
Visiting Scholar, Trinity College, Cambridge (2016)
Visiting Fellow, Exeter College, Oxford (2015)
Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellow, The Huntington Library, California (2014)
Visiting Fellow, St Catherine's College, Oxford (2012)
Visiting Fellow, All Souls College, Oxford (2006)
Visiting Scholar, St John's College, Oxford (1995)
Doctoral research supervision
Recent PhD projects for which I've been main supervisor include:
• a Benjaminian interpretation of drama and the dramatic in Coleridge's writings;
• masculinities and national identities 1761-1817;
• political economy in the prose of Percy Shelley;
• the philosophy of death in the poetry of Wordsworth and Percy Shelley;
• Goethe's Faust and the drama and poetry of Byron and Percy Shelley;
• the representation of memory in the writings of William Wordsworth and George Eliot.
I'm currently main supervisor of a PhD on utopian ideas in Percy Shelley's poetry. I welcome inquiries from applicants who wish to pursue master's or doctoral research in any area of my expertise.
Introduction to Literary Studies 2 (SEL1004)
Revolutionary Britain, 1789-1832 (SEL2203)
- Rossington M. Introduction to Shelley's Poetical Essay on the Existing State of Things (1811) in 'About the Text', Shelley's Poetical Essay: The Bodleian Libraries' 12 millionth book. Oxford, UK: The Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford, 2015. Available at: http://poeticalessay.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/about-the-text/.
- Schmid S, Rossington M, ed. The Reception of P.B. Shelley in Europe. London, New Delhi, New York, Sydney: Bloomsbury Academic, 2015.
- Rossington M. William Michael Rossetti and the Organization of P. B. Shelley in the Later Nineteenth Century. European Romantic Review 2015, 26(3), 387-393.
- Rossington M. [Dante in the Nineteenth Century]. Translation and Literature 2014, 23(1), 133-139.
- Rossington M. Crabbe's Times. Romanticism 2014, 20(2), 117-127.
- Edwards G, Rossington M. Introduction: George Crabbe: Times and Spaces. Romanticism 2014, 20(2), 103-105.
- Rossington M, Donovan J, Everest K, eds. The Poems of Shelley, Volume 4: 1820-1821. Longman Annotated English Poets 2013. London and New York: Routledge, 424 pp.
- Rossington M. Editing Shelley. In: O'Neill, M., Howe, A. with the assistance of Madeleine Callaghan, ed. The Oxford Handbook of Percy Bysshe Shelley. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2013, pp.645-656.
- Rossington M. Tragedy: The Cenci and Swellfoot the Tyrant. In: O'Neill, M., Howe, A. with the assistance of Madeleine Callaghan, ed. The Oxford Handbook of Percy Bysshe Shelley. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2013, pp.299-308.
- Donovan J, Duffy C, Everest K, Rossington M, eds. The Poems of Shelley, Volume 3: 1819-1820. Longman Annotated English Poets 2011. London and New York: Pearson Education, 784 pp.