Professor Michael Rossington
Professor of Romantic Literature
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3427
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/elll/staff/profile/michael.rossington
- Address: School of English Literature, Language & Linguistics
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 7RU
I joined Newcastle University in 1993. I was promoted to a Personal Chair in 2014.
Roles and responsibilities
I teach and supervise students in Romantic-period literature and lead, or co-lead, three research projects.
MA, DPhil (Oxford)
Lecturer in Literature, The Open University
Textual editing, and 18th-c. & 19th-c. literature with a particular focus on the Romantic period, especially: i. Percy Shelley; ii. textual criticism and manuscript studies; iii. poetry; iv. Mary Shelley; v. republicanism; vi. comparative approaches to continental European and British writing.
i. Editing poems and plays for, and coordinating, Volume 5 of The Poems of Shelley in the Longman Annotated English Poets series (Routledge); ii. With Ruth Abbott (Cambridge), an 8-vol. print edition of all of William Wordsworth’s poems for the Longman Annotated English Poets series and a digital edition of all locatable manuscripts of his poetry that have authority; iii. Animating Text at Newcastle University
Visiting Scholar, Trinity College, Cambridge (2016); Visiting Fellow, Exeter College, Oxford (2015); Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellow, The Huntington Library, San Marino, California (2014); Modern Humanities Research Association Research Associateship (2014)
Introduction to Literary Studies II (SEL1004); Revolutionary Britain, 1789-1832 (SEL2203); Dissertation (SEL3362)
Research Matters II (SEL8542)
- Rossington M. Editing Shelley. In: O'Neill, M; Howe, A; Callaghan,M, ed. The Oxford Handbook of Percy Bysshe Shelley. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017, pp.645-656.
- Rossington M. Tragedy. In: O'Neill,M; Howe,A; Callaghan,M, ed. The Oxford Handbook of Percy Bysshe Shelley. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2017, pp.299-308.
- Rossington M. Introduction to Shelley's Poetical Essay on the Existing State of Things (1811) in 'About the Text', Shelley's Poetical Essay: The Bodleian Libraries' 12 millionth book. Oxford, UK: The Bodleian Libraries, University of Oxford, 2015. Available at: http://poeticalessay.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/about-the-text/.
- Schmid S, Rossington M, ed. The Reception of P.B. Shelley in Europe. London, New Delhi, New York, Sydney: Bloomsbury Academic, 2015.
- Rossington M. William Michael Rossetti and the Organization of P. B. Shelley in the Later Nineteenth Century. European Romantic Review 2015, 26(3), 387-393.
- Rossington M. [Dante in the Nineteenth Century]. Translation and Literature 2014, 23(1), 133-139.
- Rossington M. Crabbe's Times. Romanticism 2014, 20(2), 117-127.
- Edwards G, Rossington M. Introduction: George Crabbe: Times and Spaces. Romanticism 2014, 20(2), 103-105.