Dr Ruth Connolly
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8133
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8708
I have just embarked on an edition of Ben Jonson's poetry with Tom Cain, for the Longman's Annotated English Poets Series. I am also in the initial stages of a monograph project exploring the body and affect in seventeenth-century poetry and I am working with colleagues in History and Music on a project to recover the history of print and musical literacy in Newcastle between 1500 and 1800.
My other interests lie in the field of early modern women's writing, particularly life-writing and in investigating this I have focussed especially on the writings of Katherine Boyle Jones, Viscountess Ranelagh (1614-91) and Mary Boyle Rich, Countess of Warwick (1624-1678). As a result of working on an edition of Robert Herrick's Complete Poetry and on the Jonson edition I have become increasingly engaged with editorial theory and through this route with work in the digital humanities.
I am one of the co-convenors of the Medieval and Early Modern Research group at Newcastle. Our website is here: http://research.ncl.ac.uk/mems/.
IRCHSS Funded Doctoral student (2001-2005)
Pforzheimer Visiting fellow at the Harry Ransom Center, University of Texas (September 2008)
Visiting Fellow, Folger Shakespeare Library, (October 2008)
The Complete Poetry of Robert Herrick won the Ronald H. Bainton Prize for Best Reference Work which is awarded by the Sixteenth-Century Society. (2014)
SEL 3362: Dissertation in English Literature
Second Year (UG)
SEL 2218: Research Project in English and History
SEL 8188 Reading the Past II
SEL 8353 Manuscript, Print, Digital I
SEL 8647 Manuscript, Print, Digital II
I welcome students interested in seventeenth-century poetry and prose; manuscript and print culture; editing; women's writing, particularly life-writing and the relationship between gender, knowledge and authority in the early modern period.
- Cain T, Connolly R, ed. Lords of Wine and Oile: Community and Conviviality in the Poetry of Robert Herrick. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Connolly R, Cain T. 'Herrick's Communities of Manuscript and Print'. In: Cain, T., Connolly, R, ed. Lords of Wine and Oile: Community and Conviviality in the Poetry of Robert Herrick. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Connolly R. Print, Miscellaneity and the Reader in Robert Herrick's Hesperides. In: Allen, G., Griffin, C., O'Connell, M, ed. Readings on Audience and Textual Materiality. London: Pickering and Chatto, 2011.
- Connolly R. Viscountess Ranelagh and the Authorisation of Women's Knowledge in the Hartlib Circle. In: Harris, J; Scott-Baumann, E, ed. The Intellectual Culture of Puritan Women, 1558-1680. London: Palgrave Macmillian, 2010, pp.150-161.
- Connolly R. New Approaches to the Work of Robert Herrick. Literature Compass 2009, 6(6), 1177-1187.
- Connolly R. A Proselytising Protestant Commonwealth: The Religious and Political Ideals of Katherine Jones, Viscountess Ranelagh (1614-1691). The Seventeenth Century 2008, 23(2), 244-264.
- Connolly R. 'A Wise and Godly Sybilla':Viscountess Ranelagh and the Politics of International Protestantism. In: Brown, S, ed. Women, Gender and Radical Religion in Early Modern Europe. Leiden: Brill, 2007, pp.285-306.
- Connolly R. A Manuscript Treatise of Viscountess Ranelagh (1614-1691). Notes and Queries 2006, 53(2), 170-172.
- Windram HF, Howe CJ, Connolly R. Thinking 'bibliogeographically': Phylogenetic analyses and systems of manuscript circulation. In: Beal, P, ed. Discovering, Identifying and Editing Early Modern Manuscripts. London: British Library, 2013, pp.215-251.
- Connolly R. Editing Intention in the Manuscript Poetry of Robert Herrick. Studies in English Literature 1500-1900 2012, 52(1), 69-84.
- Connolly R. 'Robert Herrick', 'Mary Rich' and 'Lady Jane Cavendish'. In: Blackwell Renaissance Encyclopedia. Routledge, 2012. In Preparation.
- Connolly R. Introduction: Community and Conviviality in the Works of Robert Herrick. In: Connolly, R; Cain, T, ed. Lords of Wine and Oile : Community and Conviviality in the Poetry of Robert Herrick. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Cain TS, Connolly R. The Complete Poetry of Robert Herrick: Volume 2. The Complete Poetry of Robert Herrick 2013. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2, 864.
- Connolly R. Bodily Imaginings: The Somatic in Seventeenth-Century Poetry. 2019. In Preparation.
- Connolly R, Cain T. The Complete Poetry of Ben Jonson. In: Paul Hammond and David Hopkins ed. Longmans Annotated English Poets 2018. London: Pearson. In Preparation.
- Connolly R. 'The Sons of Ben'. In: Eugene Giddens, ed. The Oxford Handbook of Ben Jonson. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015. In Press.
- Connolly R. Bestiaries of feeling: flies, snails, toads and spiders in Richard Lovelace’s Lucasta: PosthumePoems (1659). The Seventeenth Century 2017, 32(4), 473-491.
- Connolly R. New modelled cavaliers. The Seventeenth Century 2017, 32(4), 321-325.
- Connolly R, ed. New modelled cavaliers [Special edited issue of The Seventeenth Century]. Routledge, 2017.
- Connolly Ruth. Hester Pulter's Childbirth Poetics. Women's Writing 2016, epub ahead of print.