Professor Sinead Morrissey
Professor of Creative Writing
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 2088059
I have recently moved to Newcastle University from Queen's University Belfast in order to take up position as Director of the Newcaslte Centre for the Literary Arts. I will also be teaching Creative Writing courses and supervising Creative Writing PhD students with a focus on poetry.
I have a BA in German and English and a PhD on servant characters in late eighteenth-century British fiction, both from Trinity College, Dublin.
I have published six collections of poetry to date and my awards include the Patrick Kavanagh Award (1990), a Lannan Literary Fellowship (2007), first place in the UK National Poetry Competition (2007), the Irish Times Poetry Prize (2009, 2013), and the T S Eliot Prize (2013). In 2016 I received the E M Forster Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters. I have served as Belfast's Inaugural Poet Laureate (2013-2014) and my most recent collection, On Balance, is the Poetry Book Society Summer Choice 2017 and has been shortlisted for the Forward Prize for Best Collection.
- There Was Fire in Vancouver (Carcanet, 1996)
- Between Here and There (Carcanet, 2002)
- The State of the Prisons (Carcanet, 2005)
- Through the Square Window (Carcanet, 2009)
- Parallax (Carcanet, 2013)
- On Balance (Carcanet, 2017)
- Parallax and Selected Poems (Farrar Straus Giroux, New York, 2015)
ANTHOLOGIES (as co-editor)
- The Future Always Makes me so Thirsty: New Poets from the North of Ireland (Blackstaff Press, 2016)
- Up by the Roots: a music/poetry collaboration with composer Piers Hellawell (Edition Peters, 2016).
In addition I have published individual poems widely in national and international poetry journals including Poetry (Chicago), Poetry Review, Poetry Ireland Review, as well as having poems featured in the Guardian, the Irish Times and the New Statesman. My work has also been broadly anthologised.
TeachingI have been teaching creative writing for fifteen years with a particular, though not exclusive, focus on poetry. I have taught at all levels of the curriculum and to date have supervised six PhD Creative Writing Poetry students to completion. At Newcastle I will be working primarily with MA poetry students as well as undertaking PhD supervision in Creative Writing (Poetry).
- Morrissey S. On Balance. Manchester, England: Carcanet Press, 2017.