Dr Tina Gharavi
Senior Lecturer in Digital Media/Film
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3520
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8708
- Personal Website: www.bridgeandtunnelproductions.com
Gharavi is a BAFTA-nominated award-winning filmmaker/screenwriter. Her work has been broadcast internationally (ITV/Channel Four (UK), Showtime (US) and selected for Sundance) and she is noted for documentary, fiction and cross-platform interactive work as well as using innovative techniques to bring untold stories of marginalised people and subjects to a mainstream audience and to empower those who can, to tell their own stories. Awarded a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship (USA), a Cultural Leadership Fellowship (Hong Kong), she released her feature film, I Am Nasrine, a coming of age story of teenage asylum-seekers from Iran in 2013. She is currently in development on a further two feature fiction films, with Film4 and BFI, and a documentary film about the US prison system currently in early stages. She is a Fellow from 2014-15 at Open Documentary Lab at MIT in Boston.
Roles and Responsibilities
Cultural Industries Placements Coordinator
Alumni & Employability Coordinator
Documentary & Fiction Film Production, Screenwriting, Community Media and Interactive Digital Storytelling.
Supervise students in practice-based research including screenwriting, adaptation, interactive narrative and poetry and censorship in Iran
Fellow MIT Open Documentary Lab
Board of trustees:
British Refugee Council
Regional Council, Arts Council North East
Arts Council England, British Council, Film Council UK, Heritage Lottery Fund, Baring Foundation, Northern Rock Foundation, New Writing North, Big Lottery Fund, Catherine Cookson Fund, British Council for Research in the Levant.
Over 17 years experience as writer/producer/director.
Producer at Bridge + Tunnel , an award-winning media production company based in the North East of England and Paris.
Film, media, documentary, narrative, filmmaking, cinema, installation art, screenwriting, storytelling
TeachingSEL3324The Cultural Industries (Semester 1)Module Leader100%200ViewSEL3325The Cultural Industries (Semester 2)Module Leader70%200ViewSEL8054One week course in Creative Writing (Spring School)Lecturer20%200ViewSEL8061Personal Documentary PracticeModule Leader100%100ViewSEL8062Self-Reflexive Documentary FilmModule Leader100%100ViewFMS8353ScreenwritingModule Leader100%200ViewSEL3346Contemporary Documentary 1: Theory and PracticeModule Leader100%200ViewSEL3347Contemporary Documentary 2: Theory & PracticeModule Leader100%200ViewSEL8640The Profession of WritingLecturer50%200View
- Gharavi T. Digital X-Roads: Raising Critical Awareness Around Social Justice Through Participatory Filmmaking & Digital Storytelling Tools. 2016. In Preparation.
- Gharavi Tina. I Am Other: 1,000,000 Pixels for Change. 2016. In Preparation.
- Gharavi Tina. The King & I. 2016. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. Tribalism is Killing Us: Documentary Film. Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2016. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. Passport to Wonderland. Newcastle: Bridge + Tunnel, 2013. On-line Interactive Game. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. People Like Us. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2013. DVD.
- Gharavi T. I Am Nasrine. UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2012. DVD.
- Gharavi T. Last of the Dictionary Men: A Documentary Film. Newcastle, UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2008. DVD, Digital Video.
- Gharavi T. Last of the Dictionary Men: Stories From the South Shields Yemeni Sailors. A hybrid-project with several component parts: touring exhibition and museum installation (first shown 2008) plus catalogue (2013). 2008. UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions.
- Gharavi T. The King Of South Shields. UK: Arts Council England, 2008. DVD (Digital Video).
- Gharavi T. i-Kooch – Interactive Web Narrative Project. UK: Nomad Cultural Forum, 2006.
- Gharavi T. Bread: Palestine/Israel (A documentary Installation). UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2005.
- Gharavi T. Featherhead. UK: UK Film Council, Northern Film & Media, Superkrush, Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2005.
- Gharavi T. A Town Like Lackawanna. USA/UK: Hallwalls Media Institute, 2004. DVD (Digital Video, 25’).
- Gharavi T. Mother/Country. UK: Frameline, 2002. DVD (Digital Video, 25').
- Gharavi T. Closer. UK/FR: Women Make Movies, 2001. DVD (35mm film).