Dr Tina Gharavi
Senior Lecturer in Digital Media/Film
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 3520
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 8708
- Personal Website: www.bridgeandtunnelproductions.com
Gharavi is a BAFTA-nominated award-winning filmmaker/screenwriter. Her work has been broadcast internationally (ITV/Channel Four (UK), Showtime (US) and selected for Sundance) and she is noted for documentary, fiction and cross-platform interactive work as well as using innovative techniques to bring untold stories of marginalised people and subjects to a mainstream audience and to empower those who can, to tell their own stories.
She has made endearing, inimitably voiced films from unique perspectives on subjects as diverse as Muhammad Ali, teenage sexuality, Yemeni-British sailors, The Lackawanna 6, death row exonerees, refugees and lighthouses. She recently completed her first feature, I Am Nasrine, a coming of age story of two teenage Iranian refugees in the North of England that was nominated for a BAFTA in 2013. The project patron Sir Ben Kingsley called it “a life enhancing film, an important and much needed film”. Peter Bradshaw gave the film 4 stars and called it "A valuable debut, shot with a fluent kind of poetry." Since leaving Iran in 1979 she has been a true nomad (like her great-grandfather from the Bakhtiari tribe in Iran). Carrying no less than 4 passports she currently resides in Northern England and Paris and makes work via her award-winning production outfit, Bridge + Tunnel.
Unafraid to take risks and cross genres, Gharavi’s work is set apart by it’s attention to detail and storytelling perspective and process. As Deborah Ross writes in the Spectator, “it’s not what I would call An Earnestly Grim Wrist Slitter. Instead, it is affectionate, humane, tender and, ultimately, optimistic. So stir yourself…”
Awarded a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship (USA), a Cultural Leadership Fellowship (Hong Kong), and a Fellowship at Open Documentary Lab at MIT in Boston from 2014-15 .
Recently, Gharavi was also given a TV directing role as Second Unit Director on Kudos TV's "The Tunnel" and is a BAFTA-Elevate awardee.
Gharavi is currently in development on a further two feature fiction films, one with Film4 and BFI, and a documentary film about the US prison system currently in early stages.
Gharavi is represented as a director by Roxana Adle at Independent Talent Group.
Roles and Responsibilities
PG Director for PhD in Creative Writing
Cultural Industries Placements Coordinator
Equality & Diversity Committee Chair
Documentary & Fiction Film Production, Screenwriting, Community Media and Interactive Digital Storytelling.
Supervise students in practice-based research including screenwriting, adaptation, interactive narrative, documentary and poetry and censorship in Iran
Fellow MIT Open Documentary Lab
Board of Trustees:
BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art (current)
British Refugee Council
Regional Council, Arts Council North East
British Film Institute, Film Four, Arts Council England, British Council, Film Council UK, Heritage Lottery Fund, Baring Foundation, Northern Rock Foundation, New Writing North, Big Lottery Fund, Catherine Cookson Fund, British Council for Research in the Levant.
20+ years experience as writer/producer/director.
Producer at Bridge + Tunnel, an award-winning media production company based in the North East of England and France.
Film, media, documentary, narrative, filmmaking, cinema, installation art, screenwriting, storytelling
Selection of course:
SEL3324The Cultural Industries (Semester 1)Module Leader100%200View
SEL3325The Cultural Industries (Semester 2)Module Leader70%200View
SEL8061Personal Documentary PracticeModule Leader100%100View
SEL8062Self-Reflexive Documentary FilmModule Leader100%100View
FMS8353Screenwriting Module Leader100%200View
SEL3346Contemporary Documentary 1: Theory and Practice Module Leader100%200View
SEL3347Contemporary Documentary 2: Theory & PracticeModule Leader100%200View
SEL8640The Profession of Writing Lecturer50%200View
- Gharavi T. Digital X-Roads: Raising Critical Awareness Around Social Justice Through Participatory Filmmaking & Digital Storytelling Tools. 2016. In Preparation.
- Gharavi Tina. I Am Other: 1,000,000 Pixels for Change. 2016. In Preparation.
- Gharavi Tina. The King & I. 2016. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. Tribalism is Killing Us: Documentary Film. Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2016. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. Passport to Wonderland. Newcastle: Bridge + Tunnel, 2013. On-line Interactive Game. In Preparation.
- Gharavi T. People Like Us. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2013. DVD.
- Gharavi T. I Am Nasrine. UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2012. DVD.
- Gharavi T. Last of the Dictionary Men: A Documentary Film. Newcastle, UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2008. DVD, Digital Video.
- Gharavi T. Last of the Dictionary Men: Stories From the South Shields Yemeni Sailors. A hybrid-project with several component parts: touring exhibition and museum installation (first shown 2008) plus catalogue (2013). 2008. UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions.
- Gharavi T. The King Of South Shields. UK: Arts Council England, 2008. DVD (Digital Video).
- Gharavi T. i-Kooch – Interactive Web Narrative Project. UK: Nomad Cultural Forum, 2006.
- Gharavi T. Bread: Palestine/Israel (A documentary Installation). UK: Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2005.
- Gharavi T. Featherhead. UK: UK Film Council, Northern Film & Media, Superkrush, Bridge + Tunnel Productions, 2005.
- Gharavi T. A Town Like Lackawanna. USA/UK: Hallwalls Media Institute, 2004. DVD (Digital Video, 25’).
- Gharavi T. Mother/Country. UK: Frameline, 2002. DVD (Digital Video, 25').
- Gharavi T. Closer. UK/FR: Women Make Movies, 2001. DVD (35mm film).