The Helios is the latest generation of the Cytof Mass Cytometer. These systems combine the sample delivery and data output of a flow cytometer with the detection capabilities of a Time of Flight mass spectrometer.
The technology is conceptually akin to traditional fluorescent flow cytometry except that antibodies and detection reagents are tagged with stable isotopes of rare earth metals instead of fluorochromes. The minimal overspill allows for highly multiplexed assays to be performed producing high dimensional single cell data.
- Simultaneous detection of over 40 cellular markers including surface antigens, transcription factors and cytokines. Plus DNA markers, multiplexed sample barcoding and internal QC bead normalisation
- Lessened spill over compared to fluorescent cytometry. Compensation is not required
- Analysis of fixed and cryopreserved samples
We offer advice on antibody panel design, sample preparation, and conjugating antibodies if they are not commercially available. We encourage you to contact us in the early planning stages of mass cytometry experiments.
Core staff will acquire the samples and export the data (FCS files) for your independent analysis or in conjunction with a bioinformatician. Please book using our usual booking resource.
We have optimised protocols for immunophenotyping using mass cytometry:
- All samples must be fixed and stable in dH2O
- All samples will be run at 0.5 x106 cells/mL and filtered through a 40 micron filter. “EQ” normalisation beads will be added to your sample to a final concentration of 10% v/v.
- It takes around 70 minutes to acquire 1 million cells. This is at a fixed sample introduction rate of 30 uL/min.