Clinical Lecturer in Special Care Dentistry
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7471
- Address: Floor 5
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I am a practising community-based NHS dentist. Qualified in 2000, I have worked in NHS hospital, GP and community dentistry and in 2011, I completed a PhD.
Currently, as Clinical Lecturer in Special Care Dentistry and NIHR Transitional Research Fellow, I provide clinical dentistry for adults with complex needs and undertake research into the organisation and delivery of dental services for older dependent people. My work seeks to celebrate and promote the humanistic aspects of dental care while also embracing the opportunities of technology to improve oral health and wellbeing.
My frustrations with proprietary software available for NHS dentistry, led me to pitch at a NHS Hack Day in 2014. Subsequently, driven by a collaborative and public service ethos, I founded OpenOdonto CIC, a not for profit community interest company which aims to create openness in NHS dental IT.
For ‘geeks who love the NHS’ I organised NHS Hack Day Newcastle in 2016. NHS Hack Days are free events to attend and welcome people who are from backgrounds that are not well-represented in most geeky meetups.
I can also be found on Twitter.
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (Newcastle, 2000)
- Member of Faculty of Dental Surgery (Edinburgh, 2004)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Conscious Sedation (Newcastle, 2004)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (Newcastle, 2008)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy (2008)
- PhD (Newcastle, 2011)
- Founder/director - OpenOdonto CIC
- Committee member - British Society of British Society of Gerodontology
- British Society of Disability and Oral Health
- Faculty of Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh)
- Higher Education Academy
- International Association of Dental Research
My doctoral research played a pivotal role in a large interdisciplinary project working with local & regional collaborators in which I led a trial to investigate the clinical and cytokine response following periodontal intervention in patients with diabetes.
More recently, driven by my clinical work within community-based NHS dentistry the focus of my research has changed. I am now particularly concerned with addressing the challenges of improving the oral health of specific high risk groups of patients and delivering appropriate primary care services to these groups.
I am an active member of the Oral Healthcare and Epidemiology theme within the Centre for Oral Health Research
Current research projects include
- CARING: Person-centred co-ordinated CARe for older people livING in care homes. How should the dentist be involved? This involves a two year NIHR transitional research fellowship.
- OpenOdonto: Studies of co-creating digital tools in community-based NHS dentistry. This involves support from the Code4Health initiative and funding from the Apperta Foundation.
Previous supervisor of three successful MSc theses
I have built up a strong teaching background within the School of Dental Sciences where I have been involved both in the clinical and administrative side of teaching. Within the school I am involved in teaching and learning activities for both the Dental Surgery BDS Honours programme and the Oral and Dental Health Sciences BSc Honours programme. I am also the senior tutor for postgraduate courses within the school.
More broadly I am involved in dental core training and I also deliver postgraduate courses to dentists and other dental care professionals through the Health Education North East Continued Professional development programme for dentistry.
I believe that excellent clinical teaching skills should be underpinned by sound theoretical knowledge and I have undertaken the Newcastle Certificate in Academic Practice and gained accreditation as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Wassall RR, Exley C, Stewart M, Carroll C. Person-centred Co-ordinated Care for Older People. How is Dentistry Involved?. In: IADR. 2016.
- Desai R, Taylor J, Wassall RR, McCracken G, Preshaw PM. Inflammatory Mechanisms Linking Type 1 Diabetes and Periodontitis. In: IADR. 2016.
- Wassall RR, Preshaw PM. Clinical and technical considerations in the analysis of gingival crevicular fluid. Periodontology 2000 2016, 7070(1), 65-79.
- Lieversley M, Wassall RR. Designing across organisational boundaries - Community Dentistry Services. 2015. Available at: http://research.shu.ac.uk/design4health/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/D4H_Lievesley_Wassall.pdf.
- Irani FC, Wassall RR, Preshaw PM. Impact of periodontal status on oral health-related quality of life in patients with and without type 2 diabetes. Journal of Dentistry 2015, 43(5), 506-511.
- Wassall RR, Kingston A, Jagger C, Collerton J, Bond J, Kirkwood T, Steele J. Trajectories in Oral Health and Tooth Loss. In: IADR. 2014.
- Field J, Wassall R. Peer pressure? How styles of verbal interaction affect student satisfaction: a pilot study. In: 3 Rivers Educational Conference. 2013, Newcastle University.
- Wassall RR, Preshaw PM. Evaluation of methods for eluting GCF cytokines from Periopaper samples. In: IADR. 2010.
- Jaedicke KM, Wassall RR, Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM. Impact of diabetes on serum leptin concentrations in periodontitis patients. In: IADR. 2010.
- Jaedicke KM, Wassall RR, Taylor JJ, Preshaw PM. Periodontal disease is associated with increased levels of GCF adiponectin. In: IADR. 2010.
- Fraser H, Preshaw PM, Taylor R, Weaver JU, Wassall RR. Oral Hygiene and Periodontal Health in Type 1 Diabetes Patients. In: IADR 86th General Session. 2008, Toronto: International Association for Dental Research.
- Wassall RR, Fraser H, Taylor JJ, Taylor R, Preshaw PM, Weaver JU. Relationship between periodontal diagnosis and parameters of type-1 diabetes management. In: IADR. 2008.
- Preshaw PM, Barskby HE, Fraser H, Taylor JJ, Weaver JJ, Taylor R, Wassall RR. Serum Cytokine Concentrations in Periodontal Patients with Type 1 Diabetes. . 2008.
- Wassall RR, Preshaw PM. Type 2 diabetes mellitus as a risk factor for periodontal disease. Perio 2006, 3(4), 243-252.
- Pumerantz AS, Bissett SM, Dong F, Ochoa C, Wassall RR, Davila H, Barbee M, Nguyen J, Vila P, Preshaw PM. Standardized screening for periodontitis as an integral part of multidisciplinary management of adults with type 2 diabetes: An observational cross-sectional study of cohorts in the USA and UK. BMJ Open Diabetes Research and Care 2017, 5(1), e000413.