Cardiovascular magnetic resonance, over the last decade or so, has assumed a key role in the diagnosis, monitoring and prognostic evaluation of heart disease. The wealth of possible new information, however, is tempered by the challenges posed by cardiac and respiratory motion and practical and timely data acquisition.
The Centre’s remit to develop cutting-edge magnetic resonance techniques in collaboration with clinical researchers and commercial partners has led to the development of specialist expertise in the measurement of myocardial energetics with 31-phosphate magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Functional assessment with cardiac tagging techniques and more recently 4 dimensional flow imaging have also created an exciting opportunity to gain novel insights into cardiovascular pathophysiology.
Cardiovascular Projects at the MR Centre
Cardiovascular Publications from the MR Centre
- Madathil A, Hollingsworth KG, Blamire AM, Razvi S, Newton JL, Taylor R, Weaver JU. Levothyroxine improves abnormal cardiac bioenergetics in subclinical hypothyroidism: a cardiac magnetic resonance spectroscopic study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Apr;100(4):E607-10. doi: 10.1210/jc.2014-2942. Epub 2014 Dec 26. PMID: 25541742.
- Moore SA, Hallsworth K, Jakovljevic DG, Blamire AM, He J, Ford GA, Rochester L, Trenell MI. Effects of Community Exercise Therapy on Metabolic, Brain, Physical, and Cognitive Function Following Stroke: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Trial. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2014 Dec 23. pii: 1545968314562116. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25538152.
- Hollingsworth KG, Willis TA, Bates MG, Dixon BJ, Lochmüller H, Bushby K, Bourke J, Macgowan GA, Straub V. Subepicardial dysfunction leads to global left ventricular systolic impairment in patients with limb girdle muscular dystrophy 2I. Eur J Heart Fail. 2013 Apr 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hallsworth K, Hollingsworth KG, Thoma C, Jakovljevic D, Macgowan GA, Anstee QM, Taylor R, Day CP, Trenell MI. Cardiac structure and function are altered in adults with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. J Hepatol. 2012 Nov 22. pii: S0168-8278(12)00884-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jhep.2012.11.015. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hollingsworth KG, Hodgson T, MacGowan GA, Blamire AM, Newton JL. Impaired cardiac function in chronic fatigue syndrome measured using magnetic resonance cardiac tagging. Journal of Internal Medicine. 2012 Mar;271(3):264-70.
- Hollingsworth KG, Gorman GS, Trenell MI, McFarland R, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM, Macgowan GA, Blamire AM, Chinnery PF. Cardiomyopathy is common in patients with the mitochondrial DNA m.3243A>G mutation and correlates with mutation load. Neuromuscul Disord. 2012 Jul;22(7):592-6. Epub 2012 Apr 17. PMID:22513320
- Hollingsworth KG, Macgowan GA, Morris L, Bates MG, Taylor R, Jones DE, Newton JL, Blamire AM. Cardiac torsion-strain relationships in fatigued Primary Biliary Cirrhosis patients show accelerated ageing: a pilot cross-sectional study. J Appl Physiol. 2012 Jun;112(12):2043-8. Epub 2012 Mar 29.
- Hollingsworth KG, Blamire AM, Keavney BD, Macgowan GA. Left ventricular torsion, energetics, and diastolic function in normal human aging. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012 Feb;302(4):H885-92. Epub 2011 Dec 16. PMID: 22180656 [PubMed - in process]
- Bates MG, Hollingsworth KG, Newman JH, Jakovljevic DG, Blamire AM, Macgowan GA, Keavney BD, Chinnery PF, Turnbull DM, Taylor RW, Trenell MI, Gorman GS. Concentric hypertrophic remodelling and subendocardial dysfunction in mitochondrial DNA point mutation carriers. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hollingsworth KG, de Sousa PL, Straub V, Carlier PG. Towards harmonization of protocols for MRI outcome measures in skeletal muscle studies: consensus recommendations from two TREAT-NMD NMR workshops, 2 May 2010, Stockholm, Sweden, 1-2 October 2009, Paris, France. Neuromuscul Disord. 2012 Oct 1;22 Suppl 2:S54-67. doi: 10.1016/j.nmd.2012.06.005.PMID:22980769