Student Financial Support

Non-UK Student Finance

EU Tuition Fee Loans

Financial help for full-time students from EU countries.

If you're a full-time non-UK EU student, you may be able to  apply to the Student Loans Company for a tuition fee loan. If you're eligible for a loan, you do not need to pay fees whilst studying. You cannot defer payment of your tuition fees through any other method.


If you started your course in 2020/21, you will be able to borrow up to £9,250. The fee loan is paid direct to the University on your behalf. You'll pay the loan back to the Student Loans Company once you graduate.

Students who start their studies in 2021/22 need to have Pre-Settled Status as part of the EU Settlement Scheme and have lived in the UK or EEA for the 3 years before the start of their course.

How to apply


  • first time applicants should complete an EU18NEU20NEU20N‌‌ (PDF: 243KB)
  • continuing students should complete an EUPr1a (PDF: 131KB)


Application Forms will be available from April 2021.


You do not start repaying your loan until the April after you leave your course or you graduate, whichever is sooner, and only when you are earning enough. The Student Loan Company has information about Tuition Fee Loan repayment thresholds for EU students. These thresholds take into account differences in living costs depending upon where you will live once you graduate. For repayment enquiries, take a look at the Student Loans Company repayment portal.


You are charged interest on your loan from the moment you receive the first instalment until you have paid it off in full. If you started your course before September 2012, the interest rates vary because they are linked to the rate of inflation. If you started your course after 1 September 2012, interest rates will depend on the rate of inflation and also how much you earn after you graduate.


Student Finance Services 
Student Loans Company 
PO Box 89 

Tel: +44 (0)141 243 3570

Canadian Student Loans

Newcastle University is a recognised institution for the purpose of certifying Canadian Student Loan applications.

The Federal and Provincial Governments offer financial aid to Canadians studying at Newcastle University. Newcastle University’s institutional code is PUBR. Canadian loans are means-tested, so you must demonstrate financial need in order to qualify for financial aid.

If you're interested in applying for a loan, you must do so through your provincial/territorial student assistance office or website. When you apply, you are considered for funding by both the Provincial and Federal Government, so you only have to apply once for funding for the year.

Governments don’t charge interest on student loans for full-time students until after they have completed their studies or left school. Interest starts to accumulate from the month after students leave school, but payments are only required six months later.

For details on eligibility and how to apply for a loan, visit the Canada Student Loans Program website.

The provincial Student Finance Department will process most of the loans, not the University. However, you may require University signatures or verification of your student status. The University must also confirm that you have been accepted onto a course or are already enrolled before any financial aid will be disbursed.

Any forms that need to be signed or certified by Newcastle University must only be signed by members of the Student Financial Support Team.

For more details, contact the Student Financial Support Team.


Student Financial Support Team
Student Wellbeing Service
King's Gate
Newcastle University

Tel +44 (0) 191 222 5538

US Loans

Many students get federal student aid to help pay for their study at international schools, either at undergraduate or graduate level.

Whether you plan to study abroad for a semester or get your entire degree outside the United States, you may be able to use federal student aid to pay your expenses.

Newcastle University is approved by the US Department of Education to participate in the William D Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, enabling eligible American students to access financial support.

Newcastle University's federal school code is G08460. This code may also appear at times as 00846000.

US Federal student loans are administered centrally by the Student Financial Support Team. Read through the following before starting the application process. You may find that the process is very different to applications made at US Universities.