Skip to main content

Financial Advice

Help on managing your money while you're at University.

You not only need money to pay for your tuition fees, you also need to budget for your day-to-day living. The amount you'll need for living costs will depend on your circumstances and your own personal tastes. It will also depend on:

  • whether you’re full-time or part-time
  • the length of your academic year
  • the type of accommodation you choose
  • if you have dependants who live with you
  • the course you’re studying

Student finance advisers

Our student finance advisers can provide:

  • professional and impartial advice to all current and prospective students about student funding and finance related matters
  • individual and tailored one-to-one appointments
  • educative workshops and group information sessions (on request)
  • information leaflets and online resources

They can help you if you:

  • want help managing your money and planning a budget
  • are struggling to cover all of your costs and want to know about the funding you may be eligible to apply for
  • have queries about your statutory funding (student loan and fee loan)
  • want information about bursaries, scholarships and other funding schemes
  • need information about a range of student finance related topics such as student bank accounts, TV licences, and council tax

Contact the Student Finance Advisers by emailing us.

Canvas course

Money matters, making the most of your money at uni

Sign up for our online money management course on Canvas. The course is divided into five modules and it takes approximately one hour to finish it:

  • How am I going to manage? The basics of income and expenditure
  • Budgeting
  • Staying safe from fraud
  • Money and your wellbeing
  • Supermarket shopping and healthy eating habits

The course is aimed at UK undergraduate students. We’re working to expand the course in the future.

The course isn’t mandatory, and it won’t give you credits towards your degree. You can read through the modules in your own time, there are no deadlines and you do not need to complete it all at once.

Banking and credit

From receiving loan instalments and wages to paying your bills, you’ll benefit from having your own bank account while you’re at University.

There is an enormous range of bank accounts available. It will depend upon your personal circumstances which accounts you are eligible to apply for. If you need to borrow money, consider all of your options and make sure you understand the contract you’re entering.

Council tax

Council tax is collected by local authorities. Some properties are exempt from Council tax, and some people do not have to pay it.

Most students are entitled to some form of exemption or discount, but this depends on individual circumstances.


If you're aged 19 or over and receive National Health Service (NHS) treatment, you may have to pay for prescriptions and other health costs and services.

You'll have to pay the current rates for treatment unless you meet the NHS exemption criteria.

For more information:


It may be tempting to cut costs by not taking out insurance to cover your possessions.

However, we advise all students to insure their possessions whilst studying at University.

If you live in University-managed or managed partnership accommodation, contents insurance is included in your rent. You won't need a separate policy, although you should check that it provides adequate cover.

If you live in any other accommodation, you will need to arrange your insurance separately. Many companies offer insurance and it is worthwhile shopping around for the best deal. Save the Student has advice on how to get cheap student contents insurance. Use comparison sites like

Regardless of where you live, you should use a common sense approach towards security and safety to ensure that your insurance policy remains valid.

Travel insurance

The University provides overseas travel insurance cover without charge to students travelling overseas on authorised, course-related University business.


If you have any queries:

International calls

The cost of calling international numbers from the UK can be very high. Fortunately, there are some clever ways around this that can save you a small fortune on call charges.

Mobile and broadband

It's very easy to overspend on mobile and broadband contracts.


Consider using a SIM-only tariff, which you can get without a contract, and includes a monthly bundle of minutes, data and texts. Make sure that you pay only for what you need. Avoid the most expensive bundles if you don’t use as much – for example, don’t get a 5gb/month tariff if you only use 1gb a month of data.

If you take out a contract, shop around and make sure you get the best deal.


Broadband can be very expensive, especially if you decide to get a bundle with digital TV and phone calls. To help you make the right decision, think about your answers to these five questions before you sign on the dotted line.

TV licence

Do you watch or record live TV, or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer? You'll need to be covered by a TV licence to:

  • watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
  • download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

If you do any of the above without a valid licence you: 

  • risk prosecution
  • will receive a fine of up to £1,000
  • will incur any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay

You will still have to buy a TV licence if you need one.

Placement budget

Plan your money for the year ahead

Planning your budget for your placement year has many advantages. It gives you control of your money, relieves stress, helps you enjoy your placement and explore a new Town or City. 

If you need any help with this please get in touch.

Registration and induction

The Student Financial Support team help students make the most of their money. We provide information, advice and guidance on student finance, scholarships, budgeting and help if you’re struggling for money. We can help whether you’re a first year undergraduate or a seasoned postgraduate.

The Student Financial Support team

Where to start

Our web-pages are a great resource to get you started. We provide useful information about money at University, from applying for student finance to help when you leave. Take a look at some of our main services.

The below leaflets will help you get started at University.

Get in touch

If you have any questions about student money please contact us.