Professor Chris Phillips
Professor and SAgE Director of Diversity
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 208 7972
Chris joined Newcastle in 1984 after working for five years in the Computing Studies Department at Hull University, and before that in the Statistics and Computational Mathematics Department at Liverpool University, where he also gained his BSc, MSc and PhD. Chris' background is as a numerical analyst/computational scientist. Chris is currently based in the School of Computing Science, but also holds an appointment as the SAgE Faculty Director of Diversity. Before this Chris was Head of Academic Operations Singapore; SAgE Faculty Dean of Undergraduate Studies; and Director of Teaching, Degree Programme Director for all undergraduate programmes, and coordinator of the Active Learning in Computing Centre of Excellence in Teaching and Learning in the School of Computing Science.
Chris has extensive experience of leading TEMPUS/Erasmus programmes - currently active is ALIOT, working with universities in Ukraine and Italy, Portugal, Sweden and the UK. Chris is a Chartered IT Professional and a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Area of expertise: Pedagogic research
- Phillips C, Devlin M. Helping Students Understand Programming through Active Learning. In: Tenth International Workshop on Active Learning in Engineering Education. 2011, Santiago, Chile: Escuela de Ingenieria Universidad de Chile.
- Devlin M, Phillips C. Assessing Competency in Undergraduate Software Engineering Teams. In: IEEE Education Engineering Conference (EDUCON). 2010, Madrid, Spain: Universidad Politecnica de Madrid.
- Starov O, Kharchenko V, Sklyar V, Phillips C. Hacking the innovations with university-industry hackathons. In: University-Industry Interaction Conference 2015, Berlin. 2016. In Preparation.
- Kharchenko V, Sklyar V, Gorbenko A, Phillips C. Green Computing and communications in critical application domains: challenges and solutions. In: IEEE 2013 International Conference on Digital Technologies (DT 2013). 2013.
- Boyarchuk A, Kharchenko V, Phillips C. National network of centres of innovative academia-industry handshaking: from critical computing to safety engineering. In: ICEE-2011, Belfast, Northern Ireland. 2011.
- Sumtsova OV, Aikina TY, Bolsunovskaya LM, Phillips C, Zubkova OM, Mitchell PJ. Collaborative learning at engineering universities: Benefits and challenges. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning 2018, 13(1), 160-177.
- Bolsunovskaya LM, Kemerova NS, Phillips C. Educational technology of resource-efficient language training of mining engineers. Gornyi Zhurnal 2017, (4), 98-103.
- Kharchenko V, Illiashenko O, Boyarchuk A, Sklyar V, Phillips C. Emerging curriculum for industry and human applications in Internet of Things. In: 9th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications (IDAACS). 2017, Bucharest, Romania: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Inc.
- Devlin M, Marshall LF, Phillips C. Fair Assessment of Contribution and Process In Student Team Projects. In: Informing Science + Information Technology Education Conference. 2017, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
- Devlin M, Marshall LF, Phillips C. Fair Assessment of Contribution and Process in Student Team Projects. In: Whatley J; Nerantzi C, ed. Teaching with Team Projects in Higher Education. Santa Rosa, California: Informing Science Press, 2016, pp.89-106.
- Kharchenko V, Illiashenko O, Boyarchuk A, Phillips C, Vain J, Krispin M. FPGA-based critical computing: TEMPUS and FP7 projects issues. In: 10th European Workshop on Microelectronics Education (EWME). 2014, Tallinn, Estonia: IEEE Computer Society.