Welcome to Newcastle!
We are a world-class university with a thriving international community. Currently we have students from over 120 different countries including more than 200 African students.
If you are thinking about joining us, we are here to help you every step of the way.
We have a strong global reputation for our high quality teaching and research. Choose from hundreds of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees on offer.
Newcastle is friendly, multicultural and safe. The city centre is just a few minutes' walk from the campus, and we're also close to the beach and countryside.
At Newcastle, you will develop connections with fellow students from around the world.
The International Society brings together students of different nationalities. This can help you settle in to the local environment and promotes cultural diversity on our campus.
The Afro-Caribbean Society aims to bring together students from Africa and the Caribbean, and anyone who shares an interest and love their culture.
Find out more about societies on the NUSU website.
We'll support you every step of the way, including:
- advice on visa applications
- guaranteed accommodation for one year (subject to certain conditions)
- airport meet and greet service
- International Welcome to help you make friends
- guidance about finances
- academic support and information
- English language support throughout your studies
- career guidance from our award-winning Careers Service
On campus you can visit our student support teams every weekday. We also have 24 hour support through our website.
Find out the qualifications from Nigeria that we accept for entry onto undergraduate and postgraduate courses at Newcastle.
Undergraduate entry requirementsUndergraduate entry requirements
Typically we recognise:
- overall minimum IDFP average of 60% with IELTS 6.5 in the Global International College International Degree Foundation Programme as comparable to ABB at A level
- GPA 3.2/4.0 in the National Diploma as comparable to ABB at A level
Please check course specific entry requirements as they do vary across courses, with ABB typically the minimum required.
Postgraduate entry requirementsPostgraduate entry requirements
Typically we recognise:
- Distinction in the Post Higher National Diploma as comparable to a 2.1 and Credit or Upper Credit as comparable to a 2.2
- 2.1 in a Bachelor degree as comparable to a 2.1 and 2.2 with a minimum CGPA of 3.0-3.5/5.0 as comparable to a 2.2
If you do not meet these requirements you may be eligible to apply for entry to a course at INTO Newcastle. These courses are based on our campus and help you to prepare for study with us.
English language requirements
If your first language isn't English you will generally need an IELTS score of 6.5, or equivalent, to study at Newcastle.
Our English language requirements section also lists the alternative English language qualifications we accept. This varies depending on which country you are from.
If you don't meet our English language requirements extra support is available. You could also complete a course to help improve your English before you start your degree. We provide these at our:
You will also receive language support throughout your studies.
Most non-EEA students need to apply for entry clearance permission before departure to study in the UK. You can find more information on our Visa and Immigration page.
Fees & Funding
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and discounts
If you're wanting to come and study at Newcastle and you're from outside the EU we have a number of schemes you could take advantage. Visit our undergraduate finance pages or our postgraduate funding and finance database for more information on scholarships and discounts.
2017 Shell Nigeria Exploration & Production Company (SNEPCo) Postgraduate Scholarship Award Scheme2017 Shell Nigeria Exploration & Production Company (SNEPCo) Postgraduate Scholarship Award Scheme
SNEPCo will fund one Nigerian student studying MSc Geotechnical Engineering at Newcastle University. The scholarship will cover:
- Full tuition fees
- One return flight ticket from Nigeria to the UK
- A contribution towards living expenses
You may only apply for this scholarship if you are already holding an offer for MSc Geotechnical Engineering. Applicants should fill in this form (Microsoft Word, 36Kb) and return it to Africa.firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 30 June 2017.
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- Display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- Be aged below 28 years by 30 September 2017
- Be of Nigerian nationality (proof of this will be required)
- Currently reside in Nigeria
- Return and take up permanent residence in Nigeria after completion of the proposed programme of study
- Have obtained a university degree equivalent to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours Degree) at a minimum
- Not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- Have a valid Nigerian passport valid to December, 2018
- Be neither current nor former employees (who have left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC, the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies or the Nigerian Consultant
- Not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria or the Nigerian Consultant
Cost of living
Newcastle is a budget-friendly city for international students, compared to other UK cities. This is because:
- accommodation is reasonably priced
- many amenities are within walking distance of your accommodation
- the city is very compact, with most of the shops, theatres, cafes and restaurants a few minutes' walk from the campus
- there are many discounts for students
Approximate living costs, excluding tuition fees and return fares, are:
undergraduates – allow approximately £8,600 for a 9-month period (£956 per month)
postgraduates – allow approximately £10,500 for a 12-month period (£875 per month)
Further details are in our leaflet on the Cost of Living in Newcastle (PDF: 650KB).
Our graduates are in demand
Newcastle University has a proud tradition of graduates who achieve greatness in their chosen fields. From social leaders, innovators of industry and famous faces, Newcastle University alumni are making their mark across the globe.
Skills for the workplace
We work closely with employers to ensure the content of our degrees reflects the skills that are needed in the world of work. By providing internships and work experience placements wherever possible, we ensure you have the relevant skills to excel in your chosen career.
Our award-winning Careers Service is one of the best, largest and most innovative in the UK. Every year international, national and local employers come to our campus to deliver presentations and to hold interviews for their graduate-level jobs. If you want to build up work experience whilst studying, we have various initiatives to help you add to your degree.
You can contact us by email with any questions you may have about applying to Newcastle.
You can visit us on campus throughout the year for a personalised tour. We would love to meet you and show you life on campus first-hand. Complete our online form to request a tour.
You can also explore our campus and the city of Newcastle by watching one of our virtual tours.
Representatives from the International Recruitment Team and academic schools visit different countries throughout the year. Our upcoming visits to your country are listed here and new events will be added as they are confirmed. You can see all our travel plans on our events page.
How to Apply
You can apply online to study with us.
We have helpful instructions explaining how to do this on both our undergraduate and postgraduate websites:
Applying to INTO Newcastle
INTO Newcastle has courses to help you prepare to study with us. You can find out more about how to apply on our website.
We have excellent relationships with education agents from Nigeria who can provide further information and assist you with the submission of your application to Newcastle University. Our contacts are listed by city below.
Tel.: 081-7149-5402, 09-093478930
Suite 3, 2nd Floor, Hatlab Place, Plot 1952 Sokode Crescent, Wuse Zone 5, Abuja
2nd Floor The Horizon Office Complex, Vitas Bus Stop, Ring Road, Ibadan
Ile Oridetu, 1st Floor, 1 Shell Close, Onireke, Ibadan
BCIE Victoria Island
14 Muri Okunola Street, Megamound Place, Off Ajose Adeogun Street, Victoria Island, Lagos
Valley View Plaza, 99 Opebi Road, Ikeja, Lagos
UKEAS Victoria Island
6, Adeloa Odeku Street, Victoria Island
3rd Floor, 76 Opebi Road, Ikeja, Lagos
Other offices: Abuja, Ibadan, Enugu, Port Hancourt, Victoria Island
Port HarcourtPort Harcourt
BCIE Port Harcout
Jumbo House, 2nd Floor, 80 Aba Road, Opposite Government Crafts Development Centre, Port Harcourt, Rivers State
UKEAS Port Harcourt
Plot 156, No 11 Tom Inko-Tariah Street. Rumuogba Estate, Port Harcourt, Rivers State