Dr Barbara Tocco
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1573
- Address: 8th Floor, Room 8.21
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 4SE, United Kingdom
I joined the Newcastle University Business School in February 2015 to work on the EU FP7 COMPETE project with Prof Matthew Gorton.
Trained as an economist, I have developed a wide range of interests within microeconomic analysis, which encompass agricultural and rural labour markets, agri-food supply chains, rural development, policy analysis.
Strength2Food - Strengthening European Food Chain Sustainability by Quality and Procurement Policy; Horizon 2020. Project Coordinator: Prof Matthew Gorton
Strength2Food is a five-year, €6.9 million project to undertake research and demonstration activities and provide evidence-based recommendations to improve the effectiveness of EU agricultural products quality policy and Public Sector Food Procurement and to stimulate Short Food Supply Chains. Our 30-partner consortium represents 11 EU and 4 non-EU countries and combines leading academic, communication, SME and stakeholder organisations to ensure a multi-actor approach.
PhD in Economics, University of Kent, 2016. Thesis on “Agricultural Employment and Inter-Sectoral Labour Mobility in Selected EU Member States ”; Advisors: Prof Sophia Davidova, Dr Alastair Bailey.
MSc in International Finance and Economic Development, University of Kent, 2010.
BA Economics and Politics, University of Kent, 2009.
European Commission FP7 Research Project ‘Factor Markets’ - PhD scholarship at the University of Kent, awarded by the European Commission, 2010-2013
Italian (Mother tongue), English (Fluent), French (Basic), German (Basic)
Member of the European Association of Agricultural Economists (EAAE)
Member of the International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE)
Member of the Agricultural Economics Society (AES)
Research Groups at Newcastle University
My research interests relate to agricultural and food economics, labour economics, development economics and behavioural economics.
Strength2Food - Strengthening European Food Chain Sustainability by Quality and Procurement Policy; Horizon 2020 (http://www.strength2food.eu/)
Completed Research Projects
COMPETE - International comparisons of product supply chains in the agro-food sectors: determinants of their competitiveness and performance on EU and international markets; EU FP7 (http://www.compete-project.eu/)
FACTOR MARKETS - Comparative analysis of factor markets for agriculture across the Member States; EU FP7 (http://www.factormarkets.eu/)
Current PhD Students:
Richard Freeman, Achieving sustainable territorial development through the creation of short supply chains in the fisheries sector, ESRC NINE DTP, with Prof J. Phillipson and Prof M. Gorton (since October 2018)
Teaching Assistant, School of Economics, University of Kent, 2011-2014 (EC311:The European Economy in the Twentieth Century)
Supervisor to undergraduate dissertations at the Newcastle University Business School (MKT3096: Contemporary Marketing Dissertation)
- Vittersø G, Torjusen H, Laitala KM, Arfini F, Biasini B, Coppola E, Csillag P, Donati M, Duboys de Labarre M, Gentili R, Gorton M, Lecoeur JL, Lucini A, Maj A, Majewski E, Malak-Rawlikowska A, Mancini MC, Menozzi D, Tocco B, Török Á, Veneziani M. Qualitative assessment of motivations, practices and organisational development of short food supply chains. Strength2Food 2018, Deliverable 7.1.
- Amilien V, Roos G, Arfini F, Biasini B, Csillag P, Duboys de Labarre M, Filipović J, Haugrønning V, Kuč V, La Spina M, Menozzi D, Meyer K, Ognjanov G, Simons J, Tocco B, Török Á, Veljković S, Wavresky P. Ethnographic study: qualitative research findings on European consumers’ food practices linked to sustainable food chains and food quality schemes. Strength2Food 2018, Deliverable 8.2.
- Hartmann M, Yeh C-H, Amilien V, Čeliković Z, Csillag P, Filipović J, Giraud G, Gorton M, Menozzi D, Quarrie S, Roos G, Saidi M, Tocco B, Török Á, Veneziani M. Quantitative research findings on European consumers’ perception and valuation of EU food quality schemes as well as their confidence in such measures. Strength2Food 2018, Deliverable 8.1.
- Harvey D, Hubbard C, Gorton M, Tocco B. How Competitive is the EU’s Agri-Food Sector? An Introduction to a Special Feature on EU Agri-Food Competitiveness. Journal of Agricultural Economics 2017, 68(1), 199-205.
- Bellassen V, Arfini F, Antonioli F, Bodini A, Brennan M, Courbou R, Delesse L, Donati M, Drut M, Duboys de Labarre M, Dupont O, Filipović J, Gauvrit L, Giraud G, Gorton M, Hilal M, Husson E, Laitala KM, Majewski E, Malak-Rawlikowska A, Monier-Dilhan S, Muller P, Poméon T, Ristic B, Sayed M, Schaer B, Stojanovic Z, Paget A, Tocco B, Toque E, Tregear A, Veneziani M, Vergote M-H, Vittersø G, Wilkinson A. Results and lessons from pilot studies and final set of verified indicators for impact measurement of Food Quality Schemes, Public Sector Food Procurement and Short Food Supply Chains: evidence from the Comté PDO cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano PDO cheese, Serbian organic raspberries, County Durham school meals, Locavorium shop and Korycin Cheese. Strength2Food 2017, Deliverable 3.4.
- Barczak A, Bellassen V, Arfini F, Brečić R, Giraud G, Majewski E, Tocco B, Tregear A, Vittersø G. Report detailing the selection of case study regions and cases for impact analysis. Strength2Food 2016, 19.
- Arfini F, Antonioli F, Bellassen V, Brennan M, Fumel M, Gorton M, Hartmann M, Hawes DR, Mancini MC, Roos G, Schüssler J, Tocco B, Torjusen H, Tregear A, Veneziani M, Virginie A, Vittersø G, Yeh C. Working paper on the conceptual framework and literature review for understanding the social, environmental and economic impacts of FQS, SFSC and varying PSFP policies on agri-food chain participants and rural territories. Strength2Food 2016, 87.
- Bellassen V, Giraud G, Hilal M, Arfini F, Barczak A, Bodini A, Brennan M, Drut M, Duboys de Labarre M, Gorton M, Hartmann M, Majewski E, Monier-Dilhan S, Muller P, Poméon T, Tocco B, Tregear A, Veneziani M, Vergote M-H, Vitterso G, Wavresky P, Wilkinson A. Report detailing the methods and indicators for measuring the social, environmental and economic impacts of food quality schemes, short food supply chains and varying public sector food procurement policies on agri-food chain participants and rural territories. Strength2Food 2016, 92.
- Tocco B, Hubbard C, Gorton M. Competitiveness of the EU Agri-Food Sector: a Synthesis of Findings from the COMPETE Project. Compete Working Papers 2015, 16.
- Tocco B, Davidova S, Bailey A. Labour Adjustments in Agriculture: Evidence from Romania. Studies in Agricultural Economics 2014, 116(2), 67-73.
- Tocco B, Davidova S, Bailey A. Determinants to Leave Agriculture in the EU. In: Swinnen, J. and L. Knops, ed. Diversity Under A Common Policy: Land, Labour and Capital Markets in European Agriculture. Brussels: Centre for European Policy Studies, 2013, pp.154-170.
- Tocco B, Davidova S, Bailey A. The Impact of CAP Payments on the Exodus of Labour from Agriculture in Selected EU Member States. Factor Markets Working Papers 2013, 66.
- Tocco B, Bailey A, Davidova S. Determinants to Leave Agriculture and Change Occupational Sector: Evidence from an Enlarged EU. Factor Markets Working Papers 2013, 46.
- Tocco B, Bailey A, Davidova S. The Reallocation of Agricultural Labour across Sectors: An Empirical Strategy for Micro Data. Factor Markets Working Papers 2013, 45.
- Tocco B, Bailey A, Davidova S. The Theoretical Framework and Methodology to Estimate the Farm Labour and Other Factor-Derived Demand and Output Supply Systems. Factor Markets Working Papers 2013, 44.
- Tocco B, Davidova S, Bailey A. Commonalities and Differences in Labour Market Developments and Constraints in Different EU Regions. Factor Markets Working Papers 2012, 22.
- Tocco B, Davidova S, Bailey A. Supply and Demand Side Limitations Affecting the Structure of Agriculture and the Rural Economy. Factor Markets Working Papers 2012, 21.
- Tocco B, Davidova S, Bailey A. Key Issues in Agricultural Labour Markets: A Review of Major Studies and Project Reports on Agriculture and Rural Labour Markets. Factor Markets Working Papers 2012, 20.