Dr Elina Meliou
Lecturer in Organisational Behaviour and HRM, Degree Programme Director MSc International Business Management
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44(0)203 752 2446
- Address: Newcastle University London
102 Middlesex Street
London, E1 7EZ
Elina joined Newcastle University London in August 2015. She gained her PhD from the University of Montpellier, France and was a Marie Curie fellow at the University of La Sapienza, Italy.
Her theoretical work builds on critical contributions from the field of organisation studies and contemporary management thinking, and focuses in particular on the intersection of leadership, gender and entrepreneurship.
Her work has been published in leading journals, including Human Relations. Elina has also published reports and has presented her work in national and international conferences. Elina has written in various blogs, including The Conversation.
She is a fellow of the Higher Education Academy and the Royal Society of Arts.
She is a member of the Academy of Management, British Academy of Management and European Group of Organisation Studies.
Elina is Degree Programme Director for the MSc International Business Management.
My research seeks to understand individuals’ actions and how these are shaped through subjective experiences in complex organizational and institutional contexts. I’m interested in exploring how actors negotiate social structures shaping their lives, creating opportunities and starting new ventures.
Ongoing work examines:
- Gender and inequalities in work
- Gender and entrepreneurship
- Leadership and entrepreneurship
To date, I have participated in various research projects funded by the European Union and academic institutions. I am principal investigator on the following projects:
- 2016- 2018 "Career trajectories of female entrepreneurs: Enacting entrepreneurship as relational good" British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grants.
- 2014-2015 “Leadership in transition to sustainable business: a study of SMEs in South East England” British Academy of Management – Researcher Development Grant Scheme.
My research has always informed my teaching. I have taught on a range of programmes at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and have been involved in executive education within the core subject areas of organisation studies.
I am currently involved in teaching Managing Organisations and People, and Managing Change in organisations at the post-graduate level.I have led initiatives to enhance student experience including a funded project entitled “Introducing gender in management education” (£2000) which focuses on introducing threshold concepts around gender in the curriculum of the Business School in order to enhance students’ learning and understanding of equality and diversity.
- Meliou E, Edwards T. Relational practices and reflexivity: Exploring the responses of women entrepreneurs to changing household dynamics. International Small Business Journal 2018, 36(2), 149-168.
- Williams J, Meliou E, Arevalo J. Gender and Sustainable Management Education: Exploring the Missing Link. In: Arevalo JA; Mitchell SF, ed. Handbook of Sustainability in Management Education: In Search of a Multidisciplinary, Innovative and Integrated Approach. North Hampton: MA: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017, pp.307-329.
- Meliou E, Edwards T. Relationally reflexive women: Household strategies of female entrepreneurs as social change. In: Proceedings of the 76th Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management. 2016, Anaheim, California: Academy of Management.
- Edwards T, Meliou E. Explaining leadership in family firms: reflexivity, social conditioning and institutional complexity. Human Relations 2015, 68(8), 1271-1289.
- Meliou E, Edwards T. Beyond the gender divide in opportunity identification: Contextual discontinuities, reflexivity and selective bricolage enactment of female entrepreneurs. In: 31st EGOS Colloquium. 2015, Athens, Greece.
- Yakovleva N, Meliou E. Exploring challenges and opportunities for responsible leadership in SMEs in England. In: British Academy of Management Annual Conference. 2015, Portsmouth, UK.
- Yakovleva N, Meliou E. Structure, agency and leadership for sustainability: A study of SMEs in England. In: 31st EGOS Colloquium. 2015, Athens, Greece.
- Meliou E. Beyond the gender divide in entrepreneurship studies: a study of women entrepreneurs. In: 8th Biennial International Interdisciplinary Conference in Gender, Work and Organisation. 2014, Keele University, Staffordshire, UK.
- Meliou E. The impact of training and development on organisation: Insights from Businesses in Wales, Welsh Assembly Government, UK. 2012.
- Meliou E. Leadership and Management Development for Businesses in Wales: Consultation with Sector Skills Council, Welsh Assembly Government, UK. 2011.
- Kakouris A, Meliou E. New Public Management: Promote the public sector modernization through service quality. Current experiences and future challenges. Public Organization Review 2011, 11(4), 351-369.
- Meliou E, Maroudas L, Chelidonis G. The Mental Health Treatment Team: Are Men or Women Better Team Players?. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion 2011, 29(8), 799-814.
- Meliou E, Maroudas L. Understanding tourism development. A representational approach. Tourismos, an International Journal of Tourism 2010, 5(2), 115-127.
- Meliou E. L’interaction dans les situations d’intimité sexuelle et l’émergence du rejet de l’acte de prévention. Revue Internationale de Psychosociologie 2007, 29, 109-122.