Dr Hugh Metcalf
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1702
- Address: Floor 6, Room 6.17
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
My academic research is in the following areas:
A) Applied welfare economics, centering on the use of surveys and experimental situations to understand how individuals make decisions affecting their economic welfare.
Key interests: Safety Economics, Health Economics.
B) International trade and exchange rate economics.
Key interests: Integration; Exchange rate determination.
c) Applied Financial Economics.
I currently supervise students in the following areas:
Non-Market goods valuation
With Mike Jones-Lee, Sue Chilton, Graham Loomes.
£345,000 – Dept of Environment, Transport and the Regions – Valuing health
benefits from reductions in air pollution 2001-2004
£197,000 – Health and Safety Executive - Valuation of Health and Safety Benefits – Dread Risks 2002-2004
With Mike Jones-Lee, Sue Chilton,
£2,500 – Environment Agency - Pre-pilot study to estimate monetary value of reducing risk of a major accident to the environment 2004
With Mike Jones-Lee, Sue Chilton, Cam Donaldson, John Wildman, Phil Shackley.
£424,832 – National Coordinating Centre for Research Methodology and National Institute for Clinical Excellence – Societal Value of a Quality Adjusted Life Year 2005 - 2007
£9,092 – National Coordinating Centre for Research Methodology, NHS Research and
Development Programme - Protocol-writing grant on ‘The societal value of a
QALY: a survey of the public in England and Wales’. 2004
With Sue Chilton
£20,000 – ESRC - Tilting at Windmills? The Attitude-Behaviour Gap in Renewable Energy Conflicts (plus J Benson of CURDS, and others). 2004
£34,000 – European Commission - New Energy Externalities Development for Sustainability Experimental Investigation of Valuation Mechanisms ( plus French, Spanish, Czech, Hungarian, Polish, Swiss partners) 2005-2006
- Nielsen JS, Chilton S, Metcalf H. Improving the Risk-Risk Trade-Off Method for Use in Safety Project Appraisal Responses. Environmental Economics and Policy Studies 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Clough P, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. A new approach to environmental valuation for New Zealand. Policy Quarterly 2018, 14(2), 50-57.
- Radmehr M, Willis K, Metcalf H. A mechanism to derive more truthful willingness to accept values for renewable energy systems. Heliyon 2018, 4(1), e00503.
- Taylor M, Chilton S, Ronaldson S, Metcalf H, Nielsen JS. Comparing increments in utility of health: An individual-based approach. Value in Health 2017, 20(2), 224-229.
- McDonald R, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. Evidence of variable discount rates and non-standard discounting in mortality risk valuation. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 2017, 82, 152-167.
- Zhang H, Hudson R, Metcalf H, Manahov V. Investigation of institutional changes in the UK housing market using structural break tests and time-varying parameter models. Empirical Economics 2017, 53(2), 617-640.
- McDonald R, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. Dread and latency impacts on a vsl for cancer risk reductions. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2016, 52(2), 137-161.
- Zhang H, Manahov V, Hudson R, Metcalf H. Do house prices overreact to relevant information? New evidence from the UK housing market. Investment Management and Financial Innovations 2015, 12(3), 33-46.
- Jones-Lee M, Chilton S, Metcalf H, Nielsen JS. Valuing gains in life expectancy: clarifying some ambiguities. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2015, 51(1), 1-21.
- Zhang H, Hudson R, Metcalf H, Manahov V. Identification of house price bubbles using user cost in a state space model. Applied Economics 2015.
- Baker R, Bartczak A, Chilton S, Metcalf H. Did people "buy" what was "sold"? A qualitative evaluation of a contingent valuation survey information set for gains in life expectancy. Journal of Environmental Management 2014, 133, 94-103.
- Eldemerdash H, Metcalf H, Maioli S. Twin deficits: new evidence from a developing (oil vs. non-oil) countries' perspective. Empirical Economics 2014, 47(3), 825-851.
- Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, McDonald R, Metcalf H. Does the WTA/WTP Ratio Diminish as the Severity of a Health Complaint is Reduced? Testing for Smoothness of the Underlying Utility of Wealth Function. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2012, 45(1), 1-24.
- Baker R, Chilton S, Donaldson C, Jones-Lee M, Lancsar E, Mason H, Metcalf H, Pennington M, Wildman J. Searchers vs surveyors in estimating the monetary value of a QALY: resolving a nasty dilemma for NICE. Health Economics, Policy and Law 2011, 6(4), 435-447.
- Desaigues B, Ami D, Bartczak A, Braun-Kohlová M, Chilton S, Czajkowski M, Farreras V, Hunt A, Hutchison M, Jeanrenaud C, Kaderjak P, Máca V, Markiewicz O, Markowska A, Metcalf H, Navrud S, Nielsen JS, Ortiz R, Pellegrini S, Rabl A. Economic valuation of air pollution mortality: A 9-country contingent valuation survey of value of a life year (VOLY). Ecological Indicators 2011, 11(3), 902-910.
- Seested-Nielsen J, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. How would you like your gain in life expectancy to be provided? An experimental approach. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2010, 41(3), 195-218.
- Balg B, Metcalf H. Modeling exchange rate volatility. Review of International Economics 2010, 18(1), 109-120.
- Marques H, Metcalf H. Migration Policy in the Enlarged EU. In: Pop Silaghi, MI; Marques, H; Matis, D, ed. Globalization, Integration and Transition: Challenges for Developing and Developed Countries. Saarbrucken: Lambert Academic Publishers, 2010, pp.49-64.
- Baker R, Chilton SM, Jones-Lee MW, Metcalf HRT. Valuing lives equally in a benefit-cost analysis of safety projects: a method to reconcile theory and practice. Safety Science 2009, 47(6), 813-816.
- Marques H, Metcalf H. Manufacturing Wages in the Enlarged EU: The Role of Neighbour-Country Effects. Manchester School 2009, 77(1), 65-81.
- Baker R, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. Valuing lives equally: Defensible premise or unwarranted compromise?. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2008, 36(2), 125-138.
- Marques H, Metcalf H. Geography and Manufacturing Wages in the Enlarged EU. In: Shinnick, E, ed. Public Finance, Monetary Policy and Market Issues. London: INFER, 2008, pp.268-290.
- Baker R, Chilton SM, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. A face-validity test of response strategies to 'dread risks'. Revue d'Economie Politique 2007, 117(5), 781-794.
- Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H, Loomes G, Robinson A, Covey J, Spencer A, Spackman M. Valuation of health and safety benefits: Dread Risks. Norwich: HSE Books, 2007. RR541.
- Marques H, Metcalf H. Ending restrictions to migration from the new EU member countries: Sectoral trade and real wage effects. Contemporary Economic Policy 2006, 24(2), 287-299.
- Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Kiraly F, Metcalf H, Pang W. Dread risks. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2006, 33(3), 165-182.
- Marques H, Metcalf H. What determines sectoral trade in the enlarged EU?. Review of Development Economics 2005, 9(2), 197-231.
- Chilton S, Covey J, Jones-Lee M, Loomes G, Metcalf H. Valuation of Health Benefits Associated with Reductions in Air Pollution. London: DEFRA, 2004. Final.
- Marques H, Metcalf H. The EU's New Economic Geography after the Eastern Enlargement. Journal of Economic Integration 2003, 18(4), 627-641.
- Baker R, Chilton S, Donaldson C, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H, Shackley P, Ryan M. Determining the societal value of a QALY by surveying the public in England and Wales: a research protocol. National Co-ordinating Centre for Research Methodology, 2003.