Dr Jonathan Jones
Lecturer - Economics; DPD for BA (Hons) Economics and Business Management (LN12)
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1550
- Address: Room 3.02
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Jonathan Jones is a lecturer in Economics at Newcastle University Business School. His research interests are in empirical microeconomics that are applied specifically to foreign direct investment where he has developed an international reputation within the cross-disciplinary area of economics, regional science, geography and international business. This is from publication in a number of economics and regional science journals and being the co-author of books on Foreign Direct Investment and the Regional Economy and Understanding the Location of Foreign Direct Investment. He has also been involved as an affiliate of the ESRC/UK government funded Spatial Economics Research Centre (SERC) and his work has attracted media interest that includes national and regional television, newspapers, radio appearances and BBC web-based coverage.
PhD, Economics, University of Newcastle upon Tyne:
'The Nature and Performance of Inward Investment in North-East England: 1985-98'
MA(Economics), University of Liverpool
BA(Hons), Economics/Accounting & Finance, University of Manchester
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=HCIAdbsAAAAJ&hl=en
Foreign Direct Investment, Regional Economics, Applied Microeconomics
Current Papers under Submission
"The Motives for FDI Location in Europe and EU Enlargement" (with Ilona Serwicka and Colin Wren).
“European Integration and the Border Effect in FDI Location” (with Ilona Serwicka and Colin Wren).
Neha Tengur: Tax Structure and Electoral Cycles: Evidence from the European Union
Putu Sudiana: The Political Economy of Tax Incentives and FDI
Qianyi Zhou: Location of BRICS FDI within the European Union.
Ilona Serwicka: FDI Location across EU Regions and Enlargement.
Abdulaziz Almahmood: Inward FDI and Saudi Arabia.
Previous Work and Affiliations
Affiliate of Spatial Economics Research Centre.
SERC Discussion Papers:
Roles and Responsibilities
Degree Programme Director for the BA(Hons) Economics and Business Management (LN12) degree programme
ECO2003 Economic Modelling
ECO2004 Microeconomic Analysis
ECO106 Statistics for Economists
ECO110 Mathematics for Economics
ECO312 Public Economics
BSM824 Applied Time Series Modelling and Forecasting
- Jones J, Serwicka I, Wren C. Economic integration, border costs and FDI location: Evidence from the fifth European enlargement. International Review of Economics and Finance 2018, 54, 193-205.
- Jones J. Agglomeration Economies and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: A Meta-Analysis. Journal of Regional Science 2017, 57(5), 731-757.
- Wren C, Jones J. Understanding the Location of Foreign Direct Investment. Palgrave Macmillan UK, 2016.
- Jones J, Wren C. The Dynamics of Service FDI Location: A Disaggregated Industry Analysis for Great Britain. In: Beerepoot,N; Lambregts,B; Kleibert,J, ed. Globalisation and Services-driven Economic Growth : Perspectives from the Global North and South. London: Routledge, 2016, pp.90-104.
- Jones J, Wren C. Does Service FDI Locate Differently to Manufacturing FDI? A Regional Analysis for Great Britain. Regional Studies 2016, 50(12), 1980-1994.
- Serwicka I, Jones J, Wren C. The Motives for the FDI Location Choice in the ‘Old’ and ‘New’ Europe. In: 54th Congress of European Regional Science Association. 2014, St Petersburg, Russia: ERSA.
- Wren C, Jones J. FDI Location across British Regions and Agglomerative Forces: A Markov Analysis. Spatial Economic Analysis 2012, 7(2), 265-286.
- Wren C, Jones J. Quantitative Evaluation of the LEAD Programme, 2004-11. Lancaster: Institute for Entrepreneurship and Enterprise Development, Lancaster University, 2012.
- Wren C, Jones J. Assessing the Regional Impact of Grants on FDI Location: Evidence from U.K. Regional Policy, 1985-2005. Journal of Regional Science 2011, 51(3), 497-517.
- Wren CM, Jones J. Re-investment and the survival of foreign-owned plants. Regional Science and Urban Economics 2009, 39(2), 214-223.
- Wren C, Jones J. Grants and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence from the UK Regions. In: Farschi M; Janne O; McCann P, ed. Technological Change and Mature Industrial Regions: Firms, Knowledge, and Policy. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2009, pp.299-320.
- Jones J, Wren C. Foreign Inward Investment and Regional Prospects. Northern Economic Review 2008, 38, 61-79.
- Jones J, Wren C. Foreign Direct Investment and the Regional Economy. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2005.
- Jones J, Wren C. Do inward investors achieve their job targets. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics 2004, 66(4), 483-513.
- Jones J, Wren C. Inward foreign direct investment and employment: A project-based analysis in north-east England. Journal of Economic Geography 2004, 4(5), 517-543.
- Jones J, Tomaney J, Pike A, Wren C. Memorandum to the Welsh Affairs Select Committee Inquiry into Trade and Manufacturing Policy Impact on Wales. House of Commons Parliamentary Papers 2004.