Dr Marwa Elnahas
Lecturer in Accounting and Finance
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 208 1691
- Address: Room 7.24
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4SE
Marwa is a doctoral graduate of Lancaster University and joined Newcastle University Business School as a lecturer of Accounting and Finance in 2014. A module leader for the Erasmus/International Exchanged Students (Management Accounting), teaching a variety of other accounting modules e.g. (i) Management Accounting; (ii) Case Studies in Finance, Accounting & Business; (iii) Accounting, Organization and Society. A Fellow of the Higher Education Academy of the U.K. and currently supervising a number of Ph.D. students in research areas related to earnings management, ethics and corporate governance; climate change; and Social media reporting.
Marwa's research is particularly interested in the link between financial reporting quality, auditing and corporate governance. Her research interests also draw upon ethical finance and religiosity, for issues related to financial reporting standards, stock markets' valuation and accountability. Marwa’s empirical research and publications (in ranked ABS academic journals and media articles) incorporates earnings management, risk-taking and capital market valuations models in financial institutions as well as M&A in non-financial firms. Her recent research interest covers Financial Technology (FinTech) and cryptocurrencies. She has contributed to several international and national academic conferences/research events and currently acts as a peer-reviewer for various accounting and finance academic journals. She is also listed in the top 10% of Authors on SSRN by total new downloads within the last 12 months. Marwa and her colleagues at Newcastle/Durham universities were awarded an ESRC IAA funding.
She previously worked as a senior research fellow at Aston Business School and currently a visiting fellow in the GOLCER centre (Lancaster University Management School). Her background also reflect on professional practices as an auditor and accountant in local auditing firms as well as multi-national Oil & Gas Corporations (e.g. Shell & Schlumberger, Egypt).
Research gates: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marwa_Elnahass
- Earnings management & Accounting Qaulity
- FinTech & Blockchains
- Corporate Governance
- Islamic & conventional Banking/Finance
- ACC 3002 : Management Accounting (Module Leader).
- ACC 3022: Erasmus, Management Accounting (Module Leader)
- ACC 3000: Case Studies in Finance, Accounting & Business.
- ACC 3016: Accounting, Organization & Society.
- Elnahass M, Izzeldin M, Steele G. Capital and Earnings Management: Evidence from Alternative Banking Business Models. The International Journal of Accounting 2018, 53(1), 20-32.
- Karbhari Y, Muye IM, Hasan AF, Elnahass M. Governance Mechanisms and Efficiency: Evidence from an Alternative Insurance (Takaful) Market. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Abdelsalam O, Elnahass M, Mollah S. Religiosity and Bank Asset Securitization. SSRN 2017, https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2933116. In Preparation.
- Abdelsalam O, Dimitropoulos P, Elnahass M, Leventis S. Earnings management behaviors under different monitoring mechanisms: The case of Islamic and conventional banks. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 2016, 132(Supp), 155-173.
- Elnahas M, Izzeldin M. Financial Services facing upheaval prior to IFRS 9 implementation. Snapshot 2016.
- Elnahass M, Izzeldin M, Steele G. The Expected Loan Loss Model and Earnings Management: Evidence from Contemporary Practices. 2016. In Preparation.
- Elnahass M, Izzeldin M, Abdelsalam O. Loan loss provisions, bank valuations and discretion: a comparative study between conventional and Islamic banks. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 2014, 103(Suppl), S160-S173.
- Hegazy M, Elnahas M. An Analysis of Multi-Location Audit Risk Factors and the Improvement of the Audit Process: An Empirical Study. Journal of Economics and Engineering 2012, 3(1).
- Hegazy M, Elnahass M. An Assessment of the Multilocation Audit Engagements for the Improvement of the Audit Efficiency and Effectiveness: An Empirical Study within the Egyptian Setting. 2011. In Preparation.
- Elnahass M, Hegazy M. An Empirical Study and Assessment of the Multiple Action Audit Risk Factors. Journal of Accounting, Management, and Insurance Review 2008, 385-425.