Dr Matt Flynn
Principal Res Associate
- Telephone: 01912081729
- Personal Website: www.agediversity.org
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4SE
BackgroundDr. Matt Flynn is the Director of the Centre for Research into the Older Workforce. His research interest focuses on the impact of ageing societies on the world of work. He has carried out research for the UK government and European Union and has conducted research in the UK, Germany, Japan and Hong Kong. He is currently leading an ESRC study which applying the Capabilities Approach to work to retirement transitions as well as a study for the Trades Union Congress on the impact of the abolition of the default retirement age on older workers.
Full details of his work can be found at www.agediversity.org
Research800x600 Normal 0 false false false EN-GB ZH-CN X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
· Bilateral (Hong Kong): Age Diversity: Applying the Capabilities Approach to Career Development across the life course, ESRC/RGC (Hong Kong), Matt Flynn and Alfred Chan PI‘s, £135000 (including RGC contribution) 8/2011-6/2014
· Foresight Future: Foresight: Implications of an Ageing Society for Manufacturing , BIS Foresight Future McNair, S., Flynn, M., Myerson, J., Gheerawo, R., Ramster, G £10,800 2/2013-4/2013
· ELDer Employees in companies experiencing Restructuring: Stress and well-being , ADAPT, European Union Budget Heading 04.04.01.03, Malcolm Sargeant PI, 1/2012-12/2012
· The Experience of Older Workers in Japan and the UK: a comparative study, British Council PMI2, Matt Flynn PI, £40,000, 5/2008-4/2010
· Age Diversity in the Workplace: a comparative perspective, ESRC, Michael Muller Camen PI, £100,000, 9/2007-8/2008
· Managing an Older Workforce- a qualitative study into employers’ policies and practices, DWP, Stephen McNair PI, £110,000, 1/2006-1/2007
· Knowledge Management in the Automotive Industry, ESF, Swahdin Ghosh PI, £50,000 (UK part), 1/2004-12/2006
· The Effects of Gender and Qualifications on Older People’s Employability, HE-ESF, Stephen McNair PI, £121,000, 10/2003-9/2006
· The Older Workforce in the South East, SEEDA, Stephen McNair PI, £569,000, 10/2003-3/2006
· The Age Dimension of Employment Practices, DTI, Stephen McNair PI, £61,000. 1/2004-9/2004
- McNair S, Flynn M, Myerson J, Gheerawo R, Ramster G. What are the supply (workforce) and demand (product) implications of an ageing society?. London: BIS, 2012. Foresight.
- Flynn M. Representing an Ageing Workforce: Challenges and opportunities for Britain’s union. London: Trades Union Congress, 2013. In Preparation.
- Flynn M, McNair S. Working Longer in the NHS: Report on Submissions. Leeds: NHS Employers, 2013.
- Muller-Camen M, Flynn M, Schroder H. The impact of national context on managing age diversity: The cases of the UK and Germany. In: Parry, E; Tyson, S, ed. Managing an Age Diverse Workforce. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, pp.223-245.
- Flynn M, Brewster C, Smith R, Rigby M. Trade Union Democracy: The Dynamics of Different Forms. In: Harcourt, M; Wood, G, ed. Trade Unions and Democracy: Strategies and Perspectives. New Jersey: Transaction Publishers, 2006, pp.319-351.
- Flynn M, McNair S. What would persuade older people to stay longer in work? . In: Chiva, A; Manthorpe, J, ed. Older Workers in Europe. Milton Keynes: Open University Press, 2009, pp.24-37.
- Clarke C, Harcourt M, Flynn M. Clinical Governance, Performance Appraisal and Interactional and Procedural Fairness at a New Zealand Public Hospital. Journal of Business Ethics 2013, 117(3), 667-678.
- Flynn M, Upchurch M, Muller-Camen M, Schroder H. Trade union responses to ageing workforces in the UK and Germany. Human Relations 2013, 66(1), 45-64.
- Upchurch M, Croucher R, Flynn M. Political Congruence and Trade Union Renewal. Work, Employment and Society 2012, 26(5), 857-868.
- Flynn M, McNair S, Worman D. Managing Age: a Guide to Good Employment Practice. London: TUC and CIPD, 2011.
- Flynn M. The 'duty to consider': How employers are managing requests from employees to delay retirement. In: Wright, T; Conley, H, ed. Gower Handbook of Discrimination at Work. Farnham: Gower, 2011, pp.235-246.
- Purcell C, Flynn M, Chatrakul Na Ayudhya U. The Effects of Flexibilization on Social Divisions and Career Trajectories in the UK Labour Market. In: Blossfeld, H; Buchholz, S; Hofacker, D; Kolb, K, ed. Globalized Labour Markets and Social Inequality in Europe. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, pp.261-294.
- Muller-Camen M, Croucher R, Flynn M, Schroder H. National institutions and employers' age management practices in Britain and Germany: 'Path dependence' and option exploration. Human Relations 2011, 64(4), 507-530.
- Schroder H, Flynn M, Muller-Camen M. Rationale for and implementation of age-neutral HRM in divergent institutional contexts - Examples from Britain and Germany. In: Boppel M; Boehm S; Kunisch S, ed. From Grey to Silver: Managing the Demographic Change Successfully. Heidelberg: Springer, 2011, pp.101-115.
- Flynn M. Mandatory retirement in the police service: The case of the London MPS. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies & Management 2010, 33(2), 376-391.
- Flynn M. The United Kingdom government's 'business case' approach to the regulation of retirement. Ageing and Society 2010, 30(3), 421-443.
- Flynn M. Who would delay retirement? Typologies of older workers. Personnel Review 2010, 39(3), 308-324.
- Harcourt M, Lam H, Harcourt S, Flynn M. Discrimination in hiring against immigrants and ethnic minorities: The effect of unionization. International Journal of Human Resource Management 2008, 19(1), 98-115.
- Wilson D, Flynn M, Frame P. Equality and diversity. In: Muller-Camen, M; Leigh, S; Croucher, R, ed. Human Resource Management- A Case Study Approach. London: CIPD, 2008, pp.91-112.
- Flynn M, Croucher R. Retired members in a British union. Work, Employment and Society 2006, 20(3), 593-603.
- Owen-Hussey L, McNair S, Flynn M. Age Discrimination: a Lived Experience and the Employer Dimension. Guildford: HE-ESF, 2005.
- McNair S, Flynn M, Humphreys C, Woodfield S, Owen L. Older People Changing Work: A Report on Job Change in Britain. Guildford: SEEDA, 2004.
- Chatrakul U, Flynn M, Schroder H. Older workers’ career choices in the UK: A life course perspective using Sen´s Capability Approach. Journal of Business Ethics 2015. In Preparation.
- Hofacker D, Schroder H, Li Y, Flynn M. Trends and determinants of work-retirement transitions in Germany, England and Japan. Journal of Social Policy 2016, 45(01), 39-64.
- de Thierry E, Lam H, Harcourt M, Flynn M, Wood G. Defined benefit pension decline: the consequences for organizations and employees. Employee Relations 2014, 36(6), 654-673.
- Flynn M, Schröder H, Higo M, Yamada A. Government as Institutional Entrepreneur: Extending Working Life in the UK and Japan. Journal of Social Policy 2014, 43(3), 535-553.
- Flynn M, Wong L, Yin W, Hartog M, Xi C. Older Chinese Migrants in the UK: Employability, Retirement and Care for the Elderly. In: Third Chinese Congress on Gerontology and Health Industry. 2014, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Schroder H, Muller-Camen M, Flynn M. The management of an ageing workforce: organisational policies in Germany and Britain. Human Resource Management Journal 2014, 24(4), 394-409.
- Upchurch M, Croucher R, Flynn M. Does political congruence help us understand trade union renewal?. In: Hauptmeier, M;Vidal, M, ed. Comparative Political Economy of Work. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, pp.272-289. In Preparation.
- McNair S, Flynn M, Dutton Y. Employer Responses to an Ageing Workforce: a Qualitative Study. London: DWP, 2007.
- Owen L, Flynn M. Changing Work: Mid to Late Life Transitions in Employment. Ageing International 2005.
- Ball C, Flynn M. Active Ageing through Social Partnership and Industrial Relations in Europe: National Report for the United Kingdom. European Union and Newcastle University, 2018. ASPIRE Reports.
- Flynn M, Hofacker D, Hong I, Schroder H. Comparing the effects of workforce ageing in Western and Asian contexts: Institutional, firm and individual level perspectives". Human Relations 2016. In Preparation.
- Flynn M, Li Y. Employment and retirement of older workers in the UK. In: Delaying Retirement: Progress and Challenges of Active Ageing in Europe, the United States and Japan. Palgrave Macmillan, 2016, pp.221-240.
- Khan HTA, Flynn M. Self-Reported Health Status of Older Adults in Malaysia and Singapore: Evidence from the 2007 Global Ageing Survey. Applied Research in Quality of Life 2016, 11(3), 687-705.
- Hofacker D, Schroder H, Li YX, Flynn M. Trends and Determinants of Work-Retirement Transitions under Changing Institutional Conditions: Germany, England and Japan compared. Journal of Social Policy 2016, 45(1), 39-64.
- Flynn M, Li Y. Organisational change, stress and retirement: New perspectives from the Job Strain and Effort-Reward Imbalance models. Ageing and Society 2015. Submitted.
- Flynn D, Flynn M. Retirement on the Line: Age, Work, and Value in an American Factory. British Journal of Industrial Relations 2015, 53(1), 173-174.
- Chatrakul U, Schroder H, Miles L, Flynn M. Understanding older workers’ abilities to exercise ‘choice’ when it comes to extending their working lives in late career. In: CIPD Applied Research Conference 2015. 2015, London: Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
- Sudbury-Riley L, Bennett K, Flynn M, Sainsbury R, Scurry T. Are United Kingdom Workers and Organizations Prepared for an Extended Working Life?. In: Ageing & Society Knowledge Community, 4th Interdisciplinary Conference. 2014, Manchester, UK.