Emeritus Professor Michael Jones-Lee
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Room 7.24,
Newcastle University Business School,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
Professor Jones-Lee has been an advisory group member to the World Health Organisation project on Health Costs Related to Air Pollution. He has similarly served on an equivalent Department of Health group in the UK. The European Commission ran a Working Group on the Economic Evaluation of Road Safety in 1997-1998 in which he participated.
In related work, the results of a HSE/DETR/Home Office/Treasury funded project, of which he was a Principal Investigator, led the DETR to revise upwards the monetary value of the prevention of a road fatality, the original value having been based on work that he directed in the 1980s. His experience in this field has recently led to him being called as an expert witness before the Cullen Inquiry into rail safety.
He and his colleagues have also been engaged in a project on the valuation of reductions of "dread" risks commissioned by the HSE and a project on the valuation of a QALY commissioned by NICE and NCCRM.
Professor Jones-Lee also co-directed research projects commissioned by London Underground Limited 1992-1994 and by Rail Safety Standards Board 2005-2007, aimed at determining values for the prevention of Underground and rail injuries.
In 2013, he and colleagues completed a project commissioned by the HSE on Latency, Dread and Cancer Risks.
Welfare economics, individual choice under uncertainty, the economics of safety; Empirical investigation of attitudes to physical risk using sample surveys.
- Clough P, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. A new approach to environmental valuation for New Zealand. Policy Quarterly 2018, 14(2), 50-57.
- McDonald R, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. Evidence of variable discount rates and non-standard discounting in mortality risk valuation. Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 2017, 82, 152-167.
- Jones-Lee M, Chilton S. Valuing Safety: Principal Limitations of the J-Value Model. International Journal of Business Continuity and Risk Management 2017, 7(3), 222-232.
- McDonald R, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. Dread and latency impacts on a vsl for cancer risk reductions. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2016, 52(2), 137-161.
- Mason H, van Exel J, Baker R, Brouwer W, Donaldson C, Donaldson C, Baker R, Mason H, Pennington M, Bell S, Jones-Lee M, Wildman J, Lancsar E, Robinson A, Bacon P, Olsen JA, Gyrd-Hansen D, Kjaer T, Beck M, Nielsen JS, Persson U, Bergman A, Protiere C, Moatti JP, Luchini S, Pinto Prades JL, Mataria A, Khatib R, Jaralla Y, Brouwer W, van Exel J, Topor-Madry R, Kozierkiewicz A, Poznanski D, Kocot E, Gulacsi L, Pentek M, Kharroubi S, Manca A, Shackley P. From representing views to representativeness of views: Illustrating a new (Q2S) approach in the context of health care priority setting in nine European countries. Social Science and Medicine 2016, 166, 205-213.
- Jones-Lee MW. Dealing with safety in UK public sector project appraisal. In: Mansfield,C;Smith,VK, ed. Benefit-cost analyses for security policies: Does Increased Safety Have to Reduce Efficiency?. Edward Elgar Publishing Limited, 2015, pp.117-139.
- Jones-Lee M, Loomes G. Final response to Thomas and Vaughan. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 2015, 94, 542-544.
- Chilton S, Covey J, Jones-Lee M, Loomes G, Pidgeon N, Spencer A. Response to 'Testing the validity of the "value of a prevented fatality" (VPF) used to assess UK safety measures'. Process Safety and Environmental Protection 2015, 93, 293-298.
- Jones-Lee M, Chilton S, Metcalf H, Nielsen JS. Valuing gains in life expectancy: clarifying some ambiguities. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2015, 51(1), 1-21.
- Baker R, Donaldson C, Mason H, Jones-Lee M. Willingness to Pay for Health. Encylopedia of Health Economics 2014, 3, 495 - 501.
- Jones-Lee M, Spackman M. The development of road and rail transport safety valuation in the United Kingdom. Research in Transportation Economics 2013, 43(1), 23-40.
- Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, McDonald R, Metcalf H. Does the WTA/WTP Ratio Diminish as the Severity of a Health Complaint is Reduced? Testing for Smoothness of the Underlying Utility of Wealth Function. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2012, 45(1), 1-24.
- Baker R, Chilton S, Donaldson C, Jones-Lee M, Lancsar E, Mason H, Metcalf H, Pennington M, Wildman J. Searchers vs surveyors in estimating the monetary value of a QALY: resolving a nasty dilemma for NICE. Health Economics, Policy and Law 2011, 6(4), 435-447.
- Donaldson C, Baker R, Mason H, Jones-Lee M, Lancsar E, Wildman J, Bateman I, Loomes G, Robinson A, Sugden R, Prades JLP, Ryan M, Shackley P, Smith R. The social value of a QALY: raising the bar or barring the raise?. BMC Health Services Research 2011, 11(1), 8.
- Nielsen JS, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. How would you like your gain in Life Expectancy to be provided? An experimental approach. In: Economic Science Association (ESA) World Meeting. 2010, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Nielsen JS, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. How would you like your gain in Life Expectancy to be provided?An experimental approach. In: Foundations and Applications of Utility, Risk and Decision Theory (FUR). 2010, Newcastle upon Tyne.
- Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, McDonald R, Metcalf H. Willingness to Pay, Willingness to Accept and “Smooth vs Kinked” Utility of Wealth Functions: An Empirical Test of a Theoretical Debate. Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Newcastle University Business School, 2010. Newcastle Discussion Papers in Economics 2010-6.
- Nielsen JS, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. How do you prefer your gain in life expectancy to be delivered? An experimental approach linking hypothetical and incentivised choices. In: Annual Conference of the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economist. 2009, Amsterdam.
- Nielsen JS, Chilton S, Jones-Lee M, Metcalf H. How do you prefer your gain in life expectancy to be delivered? An experimental approach linking hypothetical and incentivised choices. In: Managing the Social Impacts of Change from a Risk Perspective SCARR. 2009, Bejing, China.
- Jones-Lee MW, Guria J, Leung J, Loomes G. Some Policy Implications of a Disparity Between Willingness to Accept and Willingness to Pay-Based Values of Statistical Life : A Note. 2005.
- Guria J, Leung J, Jones-Lee M, Loomes G. The willingness to accept value of statistical life relative to the willingness to pay value: Evidence and policy implications. Environmental and Resource Economics 2005, 32(1), 113-127.
- Chilton S, Covey J, Jones-Lee M, Loomes G, Metcalf H. Valuation of Health Benefits Associated with Reductions in Air Pollution. London: DEFRA, 2004. Final.
- Jones-Lee M. Valuing international safety externalities: Does the "golden rule" apply?. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2004, 29(3), 277-287.
- Jones-Lee M. Economic Value of Life. In: Demency, P; McNicoll, G, ed. Encyclopaedia of Population. New York: Macmillan, 2003.
- Jones-Lee M, Loomes G. Valuation of Safety. In: Hensher, DA; Button, KJ, ed. Handbook of Transport and the Environment. New York: Elsevier, 2003, pp.451-462.
- Jones-Lee M. An Anomaly in the Valuation of Transport Safety. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy 2002, 1(1), 7-8.
- Bateman IJ, Carson RT, Day B, Hanemann N, Hett T, Hanley N, Jones-Lee M, Loomes G, Mourato S, Ozdemiroglu E. Economic Valuation with State-Preference Techniques: A Manual. Cheltenham, Gloucestershire: Edward Elgar, 2002.
- Chilton S, Covey J, Hopkins L, Jones-Lee M, Loomes G, Pidgeon N, Spencer A. Public perceptions of risk and preference-based values of safety. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 2002, 25(3), 211-232.
- Jones-Lee M. Valuing Safety in Road Project Appraisal. Applied Health Economics and Health Policy 2002, 1(3), 115-117.
- Jones-Lee M, Loomes G. Private Values and Public Policy. In: Weber, E; Baron, J; Loomes, G, ed. Conflict and Tradeoffs in Decision Making. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001, pp.205-230.
- Robinson A, Loomes G, Jones-Lee M. Visual analog scales, standard gambles, and relative risk aversion. Medical Decision Making 2001, 21(1), 17-27.
- Carthy T, Chilton S, Covey D, Hopkins L, Jones-Lee MW, Loomes G, Pidgeon N, Spencer A. On the contingent valuation of safety and the safety of contingent valuation: Part 2 - The CV/SG "chained" approach. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 1998, 17(3), 187-213.
- Beattie J, Covey J, Dolan P, Hopkins L, Jones-Lee M, Loomes G, Pidgeon N, Robinson A, Spencer A. On the contingent valuation of safety and the safety of contingent valuation: Part I - Caveat investigator. Journal of Risk and Uncertainty 1998, 17(1), 5-25.
- Dubourg WR, Jones-Lee MW, Loomes G. Imprecise preferences and survey design in contingent valuation. Economica 1997, 64(256), 681-702.
- Dolan P, Jones-Lee MW. The time trade-off: A note on the effect of lifetime reallocation of consumption and discounting. Journal of Health Economics 1997, 16(6), 731-739.