Professor Geoff Vigar
Professor of Urban Planning and Director of Research
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8338
- Address: School of Architecture Planning and Landscape
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
School Research Director
PhD: The Politics of Paradigmatic Policy Change and the Greening of UK Transport Planning, Department of Geography, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
Postgraduate Diploma, City and Regional Planning. University of Wales College of Cardiff.
BSc(Hons) Town Planning Studies, University of Wales College of Cardiff
My research focuses on the following overlapping elements:
- urban infrastructures. Historically this work has centred on the politics of mobility, infrastructure supply and demand and their translation into transport policy in particular.
- plan-making in theory and practice. Recent work has been oriented toward evaluating [combinations of] digital and traditional means for debating place futures using deliberative, collaborative and participatory planning theory; and on citizen-led neighbourhood plan-making.
- bringing design thinking into planning and transport planning processes and methodologies.
- professionalism, knowledge and expertise with regard to built environment professions.
Current funded work
1. Co-Investigator on a major ESRC funded project (2017-2020), 'Working in the Public interest: Spatial planning and the future of public service professional labour, with Zan Gunn, Abby Schoneboom and colleagues at Sheffield University and UCL.
2. Co-directing the Digital Local Democracy theme for Digital Civics, an EPSRC Digital Economy Research Centre [2015-2020] with Open Lab at Newcastle University and Mark Tewdwr Jones and Sebastian Weise from APL] https://digitalcivics.io/
3. The JPI funded Planning for Intangible Cultural Heritage project [with Loes Veldpaus and John Pendlebury, APL, led by Vince Nadin at Delft]. https://planningandheritage.wordpress.com/pich-2/
I was Research Director in APL from April 2012- Feb 2018. I led APL's submission to REF2014 which was the best performing Unit of Assessment at Newcastle by the widely preferred measure of intensity-adjusted GPA. APL was 4th nationally [out of 45] by this measure and also in terms of research power.
Geoff welcomes applications for post-graduate study that mesh with his research interests. To date he has supervised 15 PhD candidates to completion, and currently supervises 5 students:
- Ozge Erbas, Megaproject Decision-Making in Megacities, [2nd supervisor with Suzanne Speak]
- Jen Manuel, Participatory Media: Creating Spaces for Storytelling in Neighbourhood Planning (EPSRC Digital Civics DTC, lead supervisor with Rob Comber)
- Rorie Parsons: Cycling cultures and travel behaviour [ESRC DTC funded, lead supervisor with Andy Law]
- Sean Peacock: Creating spaces for making places: supporting young people’s involvement in placemaking through digital technology, [EPSRC Digital Civics DTC funded, supervised with Clara Crivellaro]
- Laura Pinzon, Public participation and digital media in urban development (lead supervisor with Seb Weise and Peter Kellett)
I have examined 16 PhDs at universities in the UK and overseas.
TCP1027 : Shaping Towns and Cities
TCP1028: Disciplinary perspectives on planning
TCP2028: Urban Infrastructures
TCP8902 The Reflexive Practitioner
TCP8034: Planning and Sustainability
- Madanipour A, Miciukiewicz K, Vigar G. Master plans and urban change: the case of Sheffield city centre. Journal of Urban Design 2018, 23(4), 465-481.
- Parsons R, Vigar G. 'Resistance was futile!' Cycling's discourses of resistance to UK automobile modernism 1950-1970. Planning Perspectives 2018, 33(2), 163-183.
- Vigar G, Gunn S, Brooks E. Governing Our Neighbours: participation and conflict in neighbourhood planning. Town Planning Review 2017, 88(4), 423-442.
- Manuel J, Vigar G, Bartindale T, Comber R. Participatory Media: Creating Spaces for Storytelling in Neighbourhood Planning. In: ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2017, Denver, CO, USA: ACM.
- Vigar G. The Four Knowledges of Transport Planning: enacting a more communicative, trans-disciplinary policy and decision-making. Transport Policy 2017, 58, 39-45.
- Cowie Paul, Vigar Geoff, Davoudi Simin, Madanipour Ali. Hyper-local planning in England: Territorial Governance at the Neighbourhood Scale. In: Peter Schmitt and Lisa Van Well, ed. Territorial Governance across Europe: Pathways, Practices and Prospects. London, UK: Routledge, 2016, pp.67-80.
- Cowie P, Madanipour A, Davoudi S, Vigar G. Maintaining stable regional territorial governance institutions in times of change: Greater Manchester Combined Authority. In: Peter Schmitt and Lisa Van Well, ed. Territorial Governance across Europe: Pathways, Practices and Prospects. London, UK: Routledge, 2016, pp.141-156.
- Sinniah GK, Shah MZ, Vigar G, Aditjandra PT. Residential Location Preferences: New Perspective. Transportation Research Procedia 2016, 17, 369-383.
- Gunn S, Brooks E, Vigar G. “The Community’s Capacity to Plan: The disproportionate requirements of the new English Neighbourhood Planning Initiative. In: Simin Davoudi and Ali Madanipour, ed. Reconsidering Localism. Routledge, 2015.
- Healey P, Vigar G. Creating a special place: The Ouseburn Valley and Trust in Newcastle. Planning Theory and Practice 2015, 16(4), 565-568.
- Vigar G. Infrastructure Planning. In: Cullingworth, JB; Nadin, V; Hart, T; Davoudi, S; Pendlebury, J; Vigar, G; Webb, D; Townshend, T, ed. Town and Country Planning in the UK. 2015.
- Vigar G. Making places better: institutional design for local plan-making. In: Hillier,J;Metzger,J, ed. Connections: Exploring Contemporary Planning Theory and Practice with Patsy Healey. Farnham: Ashgate, 2015.
- Vigar G. Planning, the profession and the public. In: Cullingworth, JB; Nadin, V; Hart, T; Davoudi, S; Pendlebury, J; Vigar, G; Webb, D ;Townshend, T, ed. Town and Country Planning in the UK. Abingdon, UK: Routledge, 2015.
- Hart T, Davoudi S, Vigar G. The nature of planning. In: Cullingworth, JB; Nadin, V; Hart, T; Davoudi, S; Pendlebury, J; Vigar, G; Webb, D; Townshend, T, ed. Town and Country Planning in the UK. Abingdon, UK: Routledge, 2015.
- Cullingworth B, Nadin V, Hart T, Davoudi S, Pendlebury J, Vigar G, Webb D, Townshend T. Town and Country Planning in the UK. Abingdon, UK: Routledge, 2015.
- Sinniah GK, Shah MZ, Vigar G, Aditjandra PT. Residential Location Preferences: The Significance of Socio-Cultural and Religious Attributes. TeMA Journal of Land Use, Mobility and Environment 2014, 7(2), 223-238.
- Vigar G, Cowie P, Healey P. Success and Innovation in Planning: Creating Public Value. London, UK: Royal Town Planning Institute, 2014. RTPI Research Reports 8.
- Miciukiewicz K, Vigar G. Encounters in motion: considerations of time and social justice in urban mobility research. In: Henckel, D., Thomaier, S., Könecke, B., Zedda, R., & Stabilini, S, ed. Space-Time Design of the Public City. Dordrecht: Springer, 2013, pp.171-185.
- Davoudi s, Cowie P, Madanipour A, Vigar G. ESPON TANGO - Territorial Approaches for New Governance. Final Report. Luxembourg, Luxembourg: ESPON Coordination Unit, 2013.
- Segers R, Van den Broeck P, Khan A, Moulaert F, Schreurs J, De Meulder B, Miciukiewicz K, Vigar G, Madanipour A, ed. Handboek Ruimtelijke Kwaliteit : het SPINDUS projekt ; praktische methoden voor de beoordeling, implementatie en evaluatie van ruimetelijke kwaliteit. Brussels: Academic and Scientific Publishers (ASP), 2013.
- Vigar G. Promoting Fairer Neighbourhood Planning. In: Shaw, K; Blackie, J, ed. New Directions in Planning: Beyond Localism. Newcastle, UK: Department of Social Sciences, Northumbria University, 2013, pp.73-79.
- Vigar G, Brooks E, Gunn S. The innovative potential of neighbourhood plan-making. Town and Country Planning 2013, (epub ahead of print).
- Miciukiewicz K, Vigar G. Mobility and Social Cohesion in the Splintered City: Challenging Technocentric Transport Research and Policy-making Practices. Urban Studies 2012, 49(9), 1941-1957.
- Vigar G. Planning and Professionalism: Knowledge, Judgement and Expertise in English Planning. Planning Theory 2012, 11(4), 361-378.
- Gunn S, Vigar G. Reform processes and discretionary acting space in English planning practice, 1997–2010. Town Planning Review 2012, 83(5), 533-552.
- Vigar G, Shaw A, Swann R. Selling sustainable mobility: The reporting of the Manchester Transport Innovation Fund bid in UK media. Transport Policy 2011, 18(2), 468-479.
- Haughton G, Allmendinger P, Counsell D, Vigar G. The New Spatial Planning: Territorial Management with Soft Spaces and Fuzzy Boundaries. London: Routledge, 2010.
- Gonzalez S, Vigar G. The Ouseburn Trust in Newcastle: a struggle to innovate in the context of a weak local state. In: Moulaert, F; Swyngedouw, E; Martinelli, F; Gonzalez, S, ed. Can Neighbourhoods Save the City? Social Innovation and Local Community Development. London: Routledge, 2010, pp.128-140.
- Davoudi S, Healey P, Vigar G, Majale M. The Institutional and Regulatory Framework for Planning. In: UN Habitat, ed. Planning Sustainable Cities. London: Earthscan, 2009.
- Vigar G. Towards an Integrated Spatial Planning?. European Planning Studies 2009, 17(11), 1571-1590.
- Gonzalez S, Vigar G. Community influence and the contemporary local state: potentials and contradictions in the neo-liberal city. City: analysis of urban trends, culture, theory, policy, action 2008, 12(1), 64-78.
- MacKinnon D, Vigar G. Devolution and the UK's new transport policy landscape. In: Docherty I; Shaw J, ed. Traffic Jam: Ten Years of 'Sustainable' Transport in the UK. Bristol: Policy Press, 2008, pp.29-48.
- Haughton G, Counsell D, Vigar G. Sustainable Development in Post-Devolution UK and Ireland. Regional Studies 2008, 42(9), 1223-1236.
- Benneworth P, Vigar G. Strategic Planning in Practice: the case of North East England. In: Dimitriou HT, Thomson R, ed. Strategic and Regional Planning: a review of principles and practices. London: Spon, 2007.
- Vigar G. Transport and mobility in the English market town. In: Powe, N; Hart, T; Shaw, T, ed. Market Towns: Roles, Challenges and Prospects. London: Routledge, 2007, pp.59-68.
- Vigar G. Deliberation, participation and learning in the development of regional strategies: Transport policy making in North East England. Planning Theory and Practice 2006, 7(3), 267-287.
- Vigar G. Modernising Transport Planning in the English Regions. In: Allmendinger, P., Tewdwr-Jones, M, ed. Territory, Identity and Spatial Planning. London: Routledge, 2006, pp.205-218.
- Vigar G, Graham S, Healey P. In search of the city in spatial strategies: Past legacies, future imaginings. Urban Studies 2005, 42(8), 1391-1410.
- Vigar G, Porter G. Regional Governance and Strategic Transport Policy: the case of North East England. European Spatial Research and Policy 2005, 12(1).
- Haggett C, Vigar G. Tilting at Windmills? Understanding Opposition to Windfarm Applications. Town and Country Planning 2004, 73(10), 288-291.
- Porter G, Vigar G. Governance, accountability and responsibility in constructing strategic transport policy, a case study from North East England. Northern Economic Review 2003.
- Vigar G, Stead D. Local transport planning under new Labour. In: Dohert, I., Shaw, J, ed. A New Deal for Transport: The UK's Struggle with the Sustainable Transport Agenda. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2003, pp.51-72.
- Counsell D, Haughton GF, Allmendinger P, Vigar G. New Directions in UK strategic planning: from development plans to spatial development strategies. Town and Country Planning 2003, 72(1), 15-19.
- Vigar G, Healey P. Developing environmentally respectful policy programmes: Five key principles. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 2002, 45(4), 517-532.
- Vigar G. The Politics of Mobility: Transport, the environment and public policy. London: Spon Press, 2002.
- Vigar G. Implementing transport's 'new realism'?: The dissemination of demand-management policies in UK transport planning. Town Planning Review 2001, 72(4), 423-443.
- Vigar G. Reappraising UK transport policy 1950-99: The myth of 'mono-modality' and the nature of 'paradigm shifts'. Planning Perspectives 2001, 16(3), 269-291.
- Hull AD, Vigar G. Structures and Processes in Strategic Spatial Plan Preparation: the participatory agenda. In: Madanipour, A; Hull, AD; Healey, P, ed. The Governance of Place. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2001.
- Vigar G. Local 'Barriers' to environmentally sustainable transport planning. Local Environment 2000, 5(1), 19-32.
- Vigar GI, Healey P, Hull A, Davoudi S. Planning, Governance and Spatial Strategy in Britain: an institutionalist analysis. Basingstoke: Macmillan, 2000.
- Vigar G, Steele M, Healey P, Nelson JD, Wenban Smith A. Transport Planning and Metropolitan Governance: institutional issues in implementing a new agenda for transport planning. London: Landor, 2000.
- Vigar GI, Healey P. Territorial Integration and ‘Plan-Led’ Planning. Planning Practice and Research 1999, 14(2), 153-169.
- Hull A, Vigar G. The changing role of the development plan in managing spatial change. ENVIRONMENT AND PLANNING C-GOVERNMENT AND POLICY 1998, 16(4), 379-394.