Dr John Kamara
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8619
- Address: School of Architecture, Planning and Landscape
Newcastle upon Tyne
My background is in the general area of construction and informatics. My first degree in civil engineering has been supplemented with further training and education in development studies, architecture (housing studies), academic practice, and research into construction processes and technologies. My practice experience includes building procurement, and project development and management. In academia, I have experience of course development and management, research leadership and management, and general leadership and administration. I have maintained contact with industry through collaborative research projects and ongoing consultancy services.
Roles and Responsibilities
Degree Programme Director and Professional Studies Adviser (PSA): Graduate Certificate in Architectural Practice & Postgraduate Diploma in Architectural Practice and Management (ARB/RIBA Part 3); HaSS Faculty Programme Liaison Officer (FPLO) for CASAP, and PSA (Professional Standards Adviser) for UKPSF Experiential Route
BEng, MA, PhD, PgCAP, ICIOB, SFHEA
Chartered Institute of Building
Higher Education Academy
Honours and Awards
Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Royal Academy of Engineering
Newcastle Institute for Sustainability
Research Themes and Scholarly Interests
Project Development with respect to the capture, processing and representation of client requirements for building projects. Current interests and research in this area include: the impacts in early project decisions on project outcomes (beyond cost, time and quality) and in the development of client requirements oriented project process (e.g. in BIM).
Building Lifecycle Integration and Performance in relation to the application of information and communication technologies (ICTs) and the development and adaptation of techniques and processes (e.g. concurrent engineering in construction, knowledge/information management) to facilitate collaboration and integration in the creation and management of buildings over their lifecycle. Current interests include: the feed in of design/construction information into facilities management, redefining the concept of building performance (to go beyond just thermal/energy performance) and the capture of as-built information in a BIM environment.
Sustainable Construction with respect to the processes and outcomes for a sustainable built environment. Current interest and research is in the area of building adaptability for sustainability, in particular, the development of an adaptability rating system for buildings.
Registered Facilitator for the Design Quality Indicator (DQI) (www.dqi.org.uk)
Project development and management (e.g. briefing, procurement)
Knowledge and information management
General area of the use of ICT in architecture/construction, particularly in the early stages of a project
Design Management and Quality
User perspectives on the use of ICT
Development of improved business processes for construction operations (e.g. workflow modelling, process modelling, information modelling)
Building Information Modelling (BIM)
Sustainable Design and Construction
Member, EPSRC Peer Review College
Member, Editorial Board, Electronic Journal of Information Technology in Construction (ITCON) (www.itcon.org)
Guest Editor, ITCon special Issue on Architectural Informatics, 2006 (www.itcon.org)
Member, Editorial Board, Architectural Engineering and Design Management Journal
Coordinator, CIB (International Council for Building Research and Innovation) Task Group (TG33) on Collaborative Engineering (2003-2007)
Reviewer for EPSRC research proposals, and several journals and conferences
ARC3014 Professional Practice and Management
ARC4020 Architecture in Practice
ARC4021 Professional Development
ARC4022 Special Project
ARC7068 Service Delivery and Practice Management
ARC7069 Legal Framework and Building Procurement
ARC7070 Professional Development and Reflection
ARC8061 Architecture & Construction: Process & Management
- Re Cecconi F, Moretti N, Maltese S, Dejaco MC, Kamara JM, Heidrich O. A Rating System for Building Resilience. Techne: Journal of Technology for Architecture and Environment 2018, 15, 358-365.
- Heidrich O, Kamara JM, Maltese S, Re Cecconi F, Dejaco MC. A critical review of developments in building adaptability. International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation 2017, 35(4), 284-303.
- Maltese S, Moretti N, ReCecconi F, Ciribini ALC, Kamara JM. A Lean Approach to Enable Sustainability in the Built Environment through BIM. Techne: Journal of Technology for Architecture and Environment 2017, 13, 278-286.
- Agha R, Kamara JM. Adaptations in Traditional Courtyard Houses in Baghdad, Iraq. International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation 2017, 35(4), 348-363.
- Kamara JM, Dejaco MC. Editorial: Taking Stock on Building Adaptability Research and Practice. International Journal of Building Pathology and Adaptation 2017, 35(4), 282-283.
- Kamara JM. Maintaining focus on clients’ requirements using the DQI tool: Towards a requirements-oriented project process. Built Environment Project and Asset Management 2017, 7(3), 271-283.
- Dejaco MC, Re-Cecconi F, Maltese S, Spagnolo SL, Kamara JM. Requirements compliance checking for existing buildings. In: CIB World Building Congress. 2016, Tampere, Finland.
- Kamara JM, Kometa ST, Chen W. Sustainable construction in UK building projects: preliminary findings of a survey of clients and AEC professionals. In: CIB World Building Congress 2016. 2016, Tampere, Finland: CIB.
- Maltese S, Kamara JM, Dejaco MC, Re-Cecconi F. Towards an adaptability rating for buildings. In: CIB International Conference: Going North for Sustainability - Leveraging Knowledge and Innovation for Sustainable Construction and Development. 2015, London South Bank University, London.
- Tzedaki V, Kamara JM. Capturing as-built information for a BIM environment using 3D laser scanner: a process model. In: Architectural Engineering National Conference (AEI 2013: Building Solutions for Architectural Engineering). 2013, State College, Penn State, USA: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Kamara JM. Exploring the Client-AEC Interface in Building Lifecycle Integration. Buildings 2013, 3(3), 462-481.
- Kamara JM. Ghassan Aouad and Yusuf Arayici 'Requirements Engineering for Computer Integrated Environments in Construction', (London: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010). Construction Management and Economics 2013, 31(7), 789-789.
- Abdullah HK, Kamara JM. Parametric design procedures: a new approach to generative-form in the conceptual design phase. In: Architectural Engineering National Conference (AEI 2013: Building Solutions for Architectural Engineering). 2013, Pennsylvania, USA: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Chen W, Kamara JM, Cai Y. The role of multi-criteria decision techniques for sustainable construction of Chinese residential buildings. In: 19th International CIB World Building Congress. 2013, Brisbane, Australia: CIB (International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction).
- Kamara JM. The role of the DQI in managing stakeholder requirements in construction projects. In: 19th International CIB World Building Congress. 2013, Brisbane, Australia: CIB (International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction).
- Anumba CJ, Kamara JM. Concurrent engineering in construction. In: Akintola, A., Goulding, J., Zawdie, G, ed. Construction Innovation and Process Improvement. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012, pp.277-296.
- Kamara JM. Integration in the project development process of a private finance initiative (PFI) project. Architectural Engineering and Design Management 2012, 8(4), 228-245.
- Chen Y, Kamara JM. A framework for using mobile computing for information management on construction sites. Automation in Construction 2011, 20(7), 776-788.
- Tan HC, Anumba CJ, Carrillo PM, Bouchlaghem D, Kamara J, Udeaja C. Capture and Reuse of Project Knowledge in Construction. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Kamara JM. Integrating AEC and FM Activities within a Client Organisation. In: 6th International Conference in Innovation in Architecture, Engineering and Construction. 2010, Penn State University, State College, PA, USA.
- Udeaja CE, Kamara JM. The Potential of Multi-Agents in the Live Capture and Reuse of Project Knowledge. In: 6th International Conference on Innovation in Architecture, Engineering and Construction. 2010, Penn State University, State College, PA, USA.
- Udeaja CE, Kamara JM, Carrillo PM, Anumba CJ, Bouchlaghem N(D), Tan HC. A web-based prototype for live capture and reuse of construction project knowledge. Automation in Construction 2008, 17(7), 839-851.
- Kamara JM. Client-driven innovation through a requirements-oriented project process. In: Brandon, P; Shu-Ling, L, ed. Clients Driving Innovation. Oxford: Blackwell, 2008, pp.167-176.
- Chen Y, Kamara JM. Using mobile computing for construction site information management. Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management 2008, 15(1), 7-20.