Professor Giorgio Fazio
Prof of Macroeconomics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1642
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
7th Floor, Room 7.16
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Giorgio joined Newcastle University in 2013 from the University of Palermo. He has been Visiting Professor at the University of Malta, Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow, Visiting Scholar at the International Monetary Fund, and Consultant to the World Bank.
He holds a BA (Hons) from the University of Palermo, an MSc in Economics from the University of Glasgow and a Ph.D. in Economics from the University of Strathclyde.
Giorgio’s research interests revolve around international macroeconomics, international finance, international trade, regional economics and economic geography, micro and macroeconomic interactions, institutions and the accumulation of civic and human capital.
On the above topics, he has published papers in leading international journals, such as Journal of International Money and Finance, Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Banking and Finance, Journal of Money, Credit & Banking, Regional Studies, Journal of Regional Science, Open Economies Review, International Regional Science Review, Growth and Change, International Review of Law and Economics, and in international edited books.
For papers and projects, please visit
Topics in Applied Macroeconomics
- Valenti D, Fazio G, Spagnolo B. Stabilizing effect of volatility in financial markets. Physical Review E 2018, 97(6), 062307.
- Fazio G, Piacentino D. Convergence analysis for hierarchical longitudinal data. Economic Modelling 2018, 73, 89-99.
- Bordo M, Choudri E, Fazio G, MacDonald R. The real exchange rate in the long run: Balassa-Samuelson effects reconsidered. Journal of International Money and Finance 2017, 75, 69-92.
- Agnello L, Fazio G, Sousa RM. National Fiscal Consolidations and Regional Inequality in Europe. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society 2016, 9(1), 59-80.
- Fazio G, Modica M. Pareto or Log-normal? best fit and truncation in the distribution of all cities. Journal of Regional Science 2015, 55(5), 736-756.
- Fazio G, Maltese E. Agglomeration externalities and the productivity of Italian firms. Growth and Change 2015, 46(3), 354-378.
- Fazio G, Maltese E, Piacentino D. The Verdoorn Law at the regional level: Evidence from Europe. Rivista di Economia e Statistica del Territorio 2014, (2), 34-47.
- Byrne JP, Fazio G, Fiess N. Primary commodity proces: Co-movements, common factors and fundamentals. Journal of Development Economics 2013, 101, 16-26.
- Fazio G, Lavecchia L. Social capital formation across space. Proximity and trust in European regions. International Regional Science Review 2013, 36(3), 396-321.
- Fazio G, Maltese E, Piacentino D. Estimating Verdoorn Law for Italian firms and regions. Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences 2013, 6(1), 45-54.
- Byrne JP, Fazio G, Fiess N. Interest rate co-movements, global factors and the long end of the term spread. Journal of Banking & Finance 2012, 36(1), 183-192.
- Fazio G, Piacentino D. A spatial multilevel analysis of Italian SMEs' productivity. Spatial Economic Analysis 2010, 5(3), 299-316.
- Byrne JP, Fazio G, Fiess N. The global side of the investment-saving puzzle. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 2009, 41(5), 1033-1040.
- Byrne JP, Fazio G, Piacentino D. Total factor productivity convergence among Italian regions: Some evidence from panel unit root tests. Regional Studies 2009, 43(1), 63-76.
- Stephen FH, Fazio G, Tata C. Incentives, criminal defense lawyers and plea bargaining. International Review of Law and Economics 2008, 28(3), 212-219.
- Fazio G, MacDonald R, Mélitz J. Trade costs, trade balance and current accounts: an application of gravity to multilateral trade. Open Economies Review 2008, 19, 557-578.
- Fazio G, Modica M, Mossay P. City growth and core-periphery structure in Europe. 2018. Submitted.
- Fazio G, Lavecchia L. Measuring and mapping civic capital across European regions. 2018. Submitted.
- Aronica M, Fazio G, Piacentino D. SMEs heterogeneity and selection into trade at the extensive and intensive margins. 2018. Submitted.