Dr Jane Gibbon
Senior Lecturer in Accounting
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1650
- Address: Room 7.24.3
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Jane is a member of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants and her broad interests are within social and environmental accounting. She is Senior Tutor for Accounting and Finance (N400) and a co-convenor of the Accountability, Governance, Ethics and Sustainability (AGES) research group http://www.ncl.ac.uk/nubs/research/centres/ages
Her current practice based research is focussed upon the tensions and difficulties of measuring and proving social impact within third sector organisations. This work has developed out of her PhD from St Andrews University. She has also researched and worked with organisations working within Fair Trade. Jane is currently supervising three postgraduate students doing research projects within accountability and governance.
Roles and Responsibilities
Senior Tutor N400
Module Tutor ACC4051
BSc (Oxford Brookes University)
PGCED (Northumbria University)
MA (Lancaster University)
PhD (St Andrews University)
Senior Lecturer, Northumbria University
Systems Accountant, Allders Department Stores
Financial Analyst, American Express Europe Ltd
Group Accountant, The Medicine Group
Associate Member Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (ACMA)
Member of the Social Audit Network (SAN)
Member of Centre for Social and Environmental Accounting Research (CSEAR)
British Accounting Association (BAA)
European Accounting Association (EAA)
Administrative Sciences Association of Canada (ASAC)
Honours and Awards
Highly Commended Award winner of the 2010 Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards in the Interdisciplinary Accounting Research category.
My research interests are broadly within the area of social and environmental accounting developed through an active interest in and engagement with social reporting in third sector organisations. I have recently completed an ESRC Fellowship where I developed a toolkit with sport and leisure social enterprises to help measure their social impact and value.
My PhD "Enacting social accounting with a community enterprise: actualising hermeneutic conversation" at St Andrews University was chosen by the Editors of Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, as being of exceptionally high quality and worthy of a Highly Commended Award in the 2010 Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Awards in the Interdisciplinary Accounting Research category.
I am interested in business ethics and accountability and I am an active member of the Accountability, Governance, Ethics and Sustainability (AGES) research group.
I am currently working with a wide range of third sector organisations helping them to develop and understand social reporting and impact measurement.
Monetisation issues within third sector social value reporting
Co-convenor of AGES research group
PhD: Juila Janfeshar Nobari (on social measurement). Juila is on an ESRC-CASE studentship in collaboration with partner organisation, Norcare Ltd. With Dr David Campbell.
PhD: Mara Rahman. Mara is a lecturer in accounting at the National University of Malaysia and is at Newcastle doing his PhD until 2011. It is on intellectual capital reporting. With Dr David Campbell
PhD. Adillah Yusof. Adillah is an academic in KL and is on a three year PhD programme exploring the accountabilities of non-exec directors chairing board committees in public companies.
Member of the editorial board of Journal of Applied Accounting Research
Reviewer for Critical Perspectives on Accounting, Accounting Forum, Social and Environmental Accountability Journal and Business Ethics a European Review.
Trustee and Finance Director Jesmond Swimming Pool
Member of the Social Audit Network Research Steering Group with Northern Rock Foundation
Member of the social audit panel for Shared Interest
March 2009. ESRC CASE studentship. 'Accountability and social measurement for third sector supported housing organisations: critical insights and pragmatic approaches', with Dr David Campbell.Value is about £60,000.
February 2010. ESRC Fellowship. 'Measuring social value for cultural and leisure facilities managed by third sector organisations'. Value £8,500.
ACC3002 Management Accounting
ACC4051 Contemporary Issues in Accounting and Finance (dissertation)
NBS8233 Management Decision Making and Control
NBS8223 Dissertation supervision
U0809 Dissertation supervision (Groningen)
- Dey C, Gibbon J. New Development: Private finance over public good? Questioning the impact of social and environmental impact bonds. Public Money and Management 2018, 38(5), 375-378.
- Lowe T, Kimmitt J, Wilson R, Martin M, Gibbon J. The Institutional Work of creating and implementing Social Impact Bonds. Policy and Politics 2018. In Press.
- Serradilla J, Wardle J, Blythe P, Gibbon J. An evidence-based approach for investment in rapid-charging infrastructure. Energy Policy 2017, 106, 514-524.
- Fenwick J, Gibbon J. Editorial: Redrawing the boundaries of the third sector and civil society in troubled times. Public Money & Management 2017, 37(2), 75-76.
- Dey C, Gibbon J. Moving on from Scaling Up: Further Progress in Developing Social Impact Measurement in the Third Sector. Social and Environmental Accountability Journal 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Makela H, Gibbon J, Costa E. Social enterprise, accountability and social accounting. Social and Environmental Accountability Journal 2017, 37(1), 1-5.
- Fenwick J, Gibbon J. The Rise and Fall of the Big Society in the UK. Public Money and Management 2017, 37(2), 126-130.
- Fenwick J, Gibbon J. Localism and the third sector: new relationships of public service. Public Policy and Administration 2016, 31(3), 221-240.
- Blythe PT, Wardle J, Huebner Y, Gibbon Jane. Public Electric Vehicles recharging in the UK – is there a business case?. In: Intelligent Transport Systems European Congress. 2016, Glasgow: ERTICO.
- Affleck A, Gibbon J. Workington: a case study in coordination and communication. Proceedings of the ICE - Municipal Engineer 2015, epub ahead of print.
- Gibbon J, Haynes K. Building Excellence as an Internationally Recognised Business School. In: Murray, A., Baden, D., Cashian, P., Wersun, A. and Haynes, K, ed. Inspirational Guide for the Implementation of PRME: UK and Ireland Edition. Sheffield, UK: Greenleaf, 2014, pp.29-36.
- Dey C, Gibbon J. External Social Accounting. In: Bebbington, J., Unerman, J., O’Dwyer, B, ed. Sustainability Accounting and Accountability. Oxon: Routledge, 2014, pp.108-123.
- Gibbon J. Understandings of accountability: an autoethnographic account using metaphor. Critical Perspectives on Accounting 2012, 23(3), 201-212.
- Gibbon J, Dey C. Developments in social impact measurement in the third sector: Scaling up or dumbing down?. Social and Environmental Accountability Journal 2011, 31(1), 65-74.
- Gibbon J, Angier P. Towards a better understanding of relationships in fair trade finance: Shared Interest Society and social accounting. In: Hull, R., Gibbon, J., Branzei, O., Haugh, H, ed. Critical Perspectives on the Third Sector. London, UK: Emerald Group Publishing, 2011, pp.203-233.
- Hull R, Gibbon J, Branzei O, Haugh H, ed. Volume 1: Critical Perspectives on the Third Sector. London, UK: Emerald Group Publishing, 2011.
- Fenwick J, Gibbon J, Sidhu AM. Towards the sustainable school: social accounts and local solutions. In: Bohm, S; Dabhi, S, ed. Upsetting the Offset: The Political Economy of Carbon Markets. London: Mayfly Books, 2010, pp.334-344.
- Moore G, Slack R, Gibbon J. Criteria for responsible business practice in SMEs: an exploratory case of U.K. Fair Trade organisations. Journal of Business Ethics 2009, 89(2), 173-188.
- Grandy G, Gibbon J. Experiences of Living and Doing Critical Management Education in Canadian Business Schools. In: Wolfram-Cox, J; Le Trent-Jones, T; Weir, D; Voronov, M, ed. Critical Management Studies at Work: Negotiating Tensions Between Theory and Practice. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2009, pp.195-210.
- Gibbon J. A Perfectly Fine Initiative (or how to win at governance). Critical Perspectives on Accounting 2008. 19(1), 79-80.
- Gibbon J, Fenwick J, McMillan J. Governance and Accountability: a role for social accounts in the sustainable school. Public Money and Management 2008, 28(6), 353-361.
- Gibbon J, Affleck A. Social enterprise resisting social accounting: reflecting on lived experiences. Social Enterprise Journal 2008, 4(1), 353-161.
- Moore G, Gibbon J, Slack R. The mainstreaming of Fair Trade: a macromarketing perspective. Journal of Strategic Marketing 2006, 14(4), 329-352.
- Gibbon J. Demonstrating the impact - social accounting and audit for a community organisation. Chex Point 2005, 20, 7.
- Holland L, Gibbon J. Processes in Social and Ethical Accountability: External reporting mechanisms. In: Andriof, J., McIntosh, M, ed. Perspectives on Corporate Citizenship. Sheffield: Greenleaf, 2001, pp.278-295.
- Gibbon J, Johnston K, Loughran J, Robinson J. ABM in practice a case study. In: Handbook of Management Accounting. London: Gee Publishing, 2000.
- Gibbon J, Johnston K, Loughran J, Robinson J. The Lloyds TSB Experience. Management Accounting 2000, 78(3), 48-51.
- Gibbon J, Joshi PL. A survey of environmental accounting and reporting in Bahrain. Journal of Applied Accounting Research 1999, 5(1), 4-36.
- J. Gibbon, K. Johnston and J. Loughran. Relevance Sought! What do practitioners know about ABM implementation. The Journal of Applied Accounting Research 1999, 5(2), 3-29.
- J. Gibbon, K. Johnston, J. Loughran and J. Robinson. Activity Based Management - Enigmatic Elixir?. The Journal of Applied Accounting Research 1997, 4(1), 97-115.
- L. Holland and J. Gibbon. SME's in the metal manufacturing, construction and contracting service sectors: Environmental awareness and actions. Eco-management and auditing 1997, 4(1), 7-15.
- L. Holland and J. Gibbon. Implementing an environmental policy in small and medium enterprises: some considerations. Integrated Environmental Management 1994, (27), 21-24.