Dr Jonathan Kimmitt
Lecturer in Entrepreneurship
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 2081614
- Address: Room 8.21
5 Barrack Road,
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I'm a Lecturer in Entrepreneurship, joining NUBS in January 2014 and completing my PhD the same year. My research and teaching focuses on issues related to entrepreneurship, international development and poverty. In particular, I conduct research on social entrepreneurship and microfinance. Similarly, I have researched social impact bonds and I'm more broadly interested in aspects of social investment and entrepreneurial finance. I teach entrepreneurship courses with an international and social dimension. I am also the admissions selector for our Marketing/Marketing & Management programmes.
PhD Innovation & Entrepreneurship
MEd with Distinction (International Development & Education)
BA (Hons) Politics
Google Scholar: Click here.
- International Development & Entrepreneurship
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurial Process
- Social impact Bonds
- Co-Investigator: The Structure and Dynamics of Social entrepreneurship in Chile. Funded by Production Development Corporation. CORFO Chile.
- Co-Investigator: Evaluation of the Ways to Wellness Social Impact Bond. Funded by Cabinet Office.
- 2018. Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy. Social Mission as Competitive Advantage
- 2017. International Social Innovation Research Conference. The Institutional Change of Social Impact Bonds.
- 2017. ANZAM. Building Hopes for the Future. Inter-generational Well-Being in Rural Kenya
- 2016. International Social Innovation Research Conference. Inclusive Innovation Through the Lens of Instrumental Freedoms
- 2016. Babson College of Entrepreneurship Research Conference. Towards An Institutional Geography of Entrepreneurial Resource Mobilisation
- 2015. International Social Innovation Research Conference. Re-Thinking the ethics of Inclusive Innovation
- 2014. Fifth Subsistence Marketplace Conference. Social Network Dynamics in a Microfinance Context: Evidence from Ghana.
- 2013. Oxford Colloqium of Social Entrepreneurship Research. Social Entrepreneurs as Institutional Entrepreneurs. When Do they Fulfil a Social Mission?
- 2013. Babson College of Entrepreneurship Research Conference. Social Entrepreneurs as Institutional Entrepreneurs. When Do They Fulfil a Social Mission?
- 2012. NYU-Stern Conference on Social Entrepreneurship. Microfinance and Scaling Education Services for the Poor.
- 2011. NYU-Stern Conference on Social Entrepreneurship. Microfinance, Entrepreneurship & Poverty Alleviation.
- 2018. Best Paper Award. Global Innovation and Knowledge Academy. Social Mission as Competitive Advantage
- 2013. Best Paper in Social Entrepreneurship at the Babson College for Entrepreneurship Research Conference.
- 2010-2013. PhD Scholarship. Newcastle University Business School.
BUS3060 - International Entrepreneurship (Module Leader)
BUS2011 - Business Enterprise (Module Leader)
NBS8111 - International Entrepreneurship (Module leader)
- Siwale J, Kimmitt J. The Discourse of Institutional Change in the Zambian Microfinance Sector. Africa Journal of Management 2018. In Press.
- Muñoz P, Kimmitt J. Social mission as competitive advantage: A configurational analysis of the strategic conditions of social entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Research 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Lowe T, Kimmitt J, Wilson R, Martin M, Gibbon J. The Institutional Work of creating and implementing Social Impact Bonds. Policy and Politics 2018. In Press.
- Kimmitt J, Muñoz P. Sensemaking the 'social' in social entrepreneurship. International Small Business Journal 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Muñoz P, Kimmitt J, Farny S, Kibler E. Living on the Slopes: Entrepreneurial Preparedness in a Context under Continuous Threat. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Muñoz P, Kimmitt J. Entrepreneurship and the rest: the missing debate. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 2018, 9, 100-106.
- Kimmitt J, Munoz P. Entrepreneurship and financial inclusion through the lens of instrumental freedoms. International Small Business Journal: Researching Entrepreneurship 2017, 35(7), 803-828.
- Kimmitt J. Educational Entrepreneurship Today, Edited by Frederick Hess & Michael McShane. Journal of School Choice 2017, 11(2), 326-328.
- Kimmitt J, Scarlata M, Dimov D. An empirical investigation of the interplay between microcredit, institutional context and entrepreneurial capabilities. Venture Capital: An International Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance 2016, 18(3), 257-276.
- Munoz P, Kimmitt J, Serey T, Velazquez L. The Structure and Dynamics of Social Entrepreneurship in Chile [Estructura y dinámica del emprendimiento social en Chile]. Santiago de Chile: Universidad del Desarrollo, Instituto de Innovación Social, 2016.
- Kimmitt J. Examining the Role of the Entrepreneur in Development and Education. In: Dixon, P; Counihan, C; Humble, S, ed. Handbook of International Development and Education. Elgar, 2015. In Press.