Dr Stephen McGough
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 4927
- Address: School of Computing
Newcastle upon Tyne
Stephen McGough is a Senior Lecturer in Data Science within the Scalable Computing Group in the School of Computing Science at Newcastle University. Stephen researches in the areas of Cloud Computing, Big Data and Energy Efficient Computing.
Stephen studied parallel simulation (PhD, Newcastle) having previously completed an MSc in Computing (Newcastle) and a BSc in Mathematics (Durham).
Before joining Newcastle in 2017, he was a Associate Professor (Senior Lecturer) at Durham University (2013-2017), he managed the Digital Institute at Newcastle University (2009-2013), Senior Research Associate University College London (2009), and Senior Research Associate London e-Science Centre, Imperial College London (2000-2009).
Google scholar: Click here.
Area of expertise: Big Data, Machine Learning, Deep Learning
- McGough AS, Moubayed NA, Forshaw M. Using Machine Learning in Trace-driven Energy-Aware Simulations of High-Throughput Computing Systems. In: ICPE 2017 Companion: Proceedings of the 8th ACM/SPEC on International Conference on Performance Engineering. 2017, L'Aquila, Italy: ACM.
- Forshaw M, McGough AS, Thomas N. HTC-Sim: a trace-driven simulation framework for energy consumption in high-throughput computing systems. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience 2016, 28(12), 3260-3290.
- Forshaw M, McGough AS, Thomas N. The case for energy-aware simulation and modelling of internet of things (IoT). In: 2nd International Workshop on Energy-Aware Simulation. 2016, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada: ACM Digital Library.
- Forshaw M, McGough AS. Flipping the priority: effects of prioritising HTC jobs on energy consumption in a multi-use cluster. In: ENERGY-SIM 2015. 2015, Athens, Greece.
- McGough AS, Forshaw M, Gerrard C, Wheater S, Allen B, Robinson P. Comparison of a cost-effective virtual cloud cluster with an existing campus cluster. Future Generation Computer Systems 2014, 41, 65-78.
- Forshaw M, McGough AS, Thomas N. Energy-efficient checkpointing in high-throughput cycle-stealing distributed systems. In: Seventh International Workshop on Practical Applications of Stochastic Modelling (PASM). 2014, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Elsevier BV.
- Forshaw M, McGough AS, Thomas N. On Energy-efficient Checkpointing in High-throughput Cycle-stealing Distributed Systems. In: 3rd International Conference on Smart Grids and Green IT Systems (SMARTGREENS) 2014. 2014, Barcelona.
- Glenis V, McGough AS, Kutija V, Kilsby C, Woodman S. Flood modelling for cities using Cloud computing. Journal of Cloud Computing: Advances, Systems and Applications 2013, 2(1), 7.
- McGough AS, Liang S, Rapoportas M, Grey R, Vinod GK, Maddy D, Trueman A, Wainwright J. Massively parallel landscape-evolution modelling using general purpose graphical processing units. In: 19th International Conference on High Performance Computing (HiPC 2012). 2012, Pune: IEEE.
- Jayathilake PG, Gupta P, Li B, Madsen C, Oyebamiji O, Gonzalez-Cabaleiro R, Rushton S, Bridgens B, Swailes D, Allen B, McGough AS, Zuliani P, Ofiteru ID, Wilkinson DJ, Chen J, Curtis TP. A mechanistic individual-based model of microbial communities. PLoS One 2017, 12(8), e0181965.
- Forshaw M, McGough AS, Thomas N. On energy-efficient checkpointing in high-throughput cycle-stealing distributed systems. In: SMARTGREENS 2014 - Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Smart Grids and Green IT Systems. 2014, Barcelona, Spain: SciTePress.