Skip to main content

Students' Union

Run by students, for students, the Students' Union can represent and support you with academic issues.

Student Advice Centre (SAC)

The Student Advice Centre offers students information and advice on: academic, financial, housing, personal, consumer and employment issues.

Specifically they offer you academic advice on:

  • Transferring course (the financial side)
  • how to fill in a Personal Extenuating Circumstances (PEC) form
  • guidance if you've failed a course or exam
  • the academic appeals process
  • the student disciplinary process
  • assessment irregularities
  • complaints

This service is free, independent, impartial and confidential, and available to all current Newcastle University students equally.

The SAC can also offer assistance and representation for students facing university disciplinary processes or academic appeals.

Book in: advisers are providing appointments through Microsoft Teams (call, video or chat)

Find out more: Student Advice Centre website


Nightline is a confidential and anonymous listening and information service run by students for the benefit of students. Contact them any night of term to talk about how you’re feeling or request information about other services.

No problem is too big or too small for Nightline, they are simply there to listen about whatever is on your mind.

In light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation, Nightline is currently only operating its instant messaging service with opening hours 8pm to 2am.

Academic Student Representation

Your elected Education Officer represents students' views on all aspects of their degree to the highest levels in the University.

Postgraduate students are also represented by your elected Postgraduate Officer.

All students should be represented by an Academic Student Rep for their course or programme. These reps feed back your experience of your course to the University. So if you have any feedback, good or bad, make sure you get in touch with your Academic Student Reps. 

You can email the Education Officer or Postgraduate Officer or pop in to the Representation & Democracy Office on Level 0 of the Students' Union for a chat.

Welfare and Equality Officer

Your elected Welfare and Equality Officer gives guidance and runs campaigns on all things to do with student welfare, from sexual and mental health to housing and financial advice. 

If you're unsure about where to go for a certain issue, the welfare officer is a good place to start – if they can't help, they can direct you to those who can.

Contact your Welfare Officer through email, social media, or pop in to the Representation & Democracy Office on Level 0 of the Students' Union for a chat.

Get in touch


Telephone: +44 (0) 191 239 3900

Find out more: Newcastle University Students' Union (NUSU) website