Dr Sara Maioli
Lecturer in Economics, Director of Postgraduate Studies
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1665
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
level 4, office 4.02
5, Barrack road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 4SE - UK
I joined Newcastle University Business School in October 2006 as a lecturer in Economics.
After gaining a Laurea cum laude in Economics and Business at the University of Brescia (Italy) I gained an MSc in Economics at the University of Glasgow under the Scottish Doctoral Programme and a PhD in Economics (passed with no corrections) at the University of Strathclyde. I also held the following positions:
- Nov. 2003-Sept. 2006: Research fellow, Leverhulme Centre for Globalisation and Economic Policy (GEP), University of Nottingham.
- Sept. 2002-Dec. 2002: Research Fellow, Ente Einaudi, Rome.
Since Sept. 2016: Director of Postgraduate Studies for Newcastle University Business School.
I previously held the positions of Deputy Director of Postgraduate Studies at NUBS (2015-16) and Degree Programme Director for the MSc in International Economics and Finance (2012-15).
Elected member of Newcastle University Council (elected by Senate): 2017-20
Elected member of Newcastle University Senate, 2014-17.
Senate's representative on the NU Rankings and Reputation Special Interest Group, Jan-Jul 2017.
I am NOT a member of the editorial board of the International Journal of Business and Social Sciences. This 'Journal' is not authorised to use my name and refuses to remove it from their website. The story has been covered in the media by the Times Higher Education:
2015: Invited visiting professor at Yıldırım Beyazıt University, Ankara.
2009-2010: I taught a short course on Globalisation and Foreign Direct Investments at the summer school "SME's growth as a condition for success in the EU and in the global economy. The experience of the district of Brescia" jointly organised by the University of Brescia, Universitate de Vest Timisoara and the Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture of Timisoara.
2008-2009: Visiting lecturer in International Finance at Grenoble School of Management.
2002-2007: Visiting lecturer in micro and business economics, Groupe Ecole Supérieure de Commerce de Toulouse (Toulouse Business School).
2006: Short-Term EU Expert in Romania for the project ref. EuropAid/120943/D/SV/RO ‘Strengthening the Administrative Capacity of the Romanian Parliament’.
In the Media
Interviewed by the Italian TV channel Retequattro, on 24th October 2016 on the topic of Brexit for the documentary "Arrivederci Londra", programme Terra! [in Italian]:
Google Scholar Profile
I am an applied economist with expertise in firm-level data. My research interests relate to international economics, trade and labour, applied microeconometrics, international business and, more recently, rural businesses.
I am also affiliated to the Rural Enterprise UK (http://research.ncl.ac.uk/ruralenterpriseuk/). See below our recent output:
- Phillipson, Jeremy, Roger Turner, Matthew Gorton, Sara Maioli, Robert Newbury, Pattanapong Tiwasing, "What's holding rural businesses back?", Rural Economy and Land Use, Policy and Practice Note no. 2, Newcastle University, November 2017.
- Phillipson, Jeremy, Matthew Gorton, Sara Maioli, Robert Newbury, Pattanapong Tiwasing, Roger Turner, “Small Rural Firms in English Regions: Analysis and Key findings from UK Longitudinal Small Business Survey, 2015”, CRE and Newcastle University Business School, updated version September 2017.
- Phillipson, Jeremy, Matthew Gorton, Sara Maioli, Robert Newbury, Pattanapong Tiwasing, Roger Turner, “Rural business aspirations, obstacles and support: an analysis of the Longitudinal Small Business Survey 2015”, Enterprise Research Centre Research Paper 58, Warwick University, February 2017.
Other older working papers:
- Maioli, Sara, Ben Ferrett, Sourafel Girma and Holger Görg “The Market Disciplining Effects of FDI: Does the Mode of Entry Matter?”, GEP WP No. 2006/16, University of Nottingham.
- Maioli, Sara, “The Impact of Market Structure and Irreversibility on Investment under Uncertainty: An Empirical Analysis”, GEP WP No. 2005/45), University of Nottingham.
- Maioli, Sara, “A Joint Estimation of Markups and Returns to Scale in 30 French manufacturing industries: A Structural Approach”, ETSG 2004 Conference paper.
Recent research Grants
- co-investigator for “Start-up Phase of Rural Enterprise UK”, £43,250 from SAgE HEIF (Higher Education Innovation Fund), Newcastle University;
- co-investigator for “Secondary Analysis of the Longitudinal Small Business Survey”, £6987 from Enterprise Research Centre / BEIS.
PhD students supervision
- Bo Gao (ESRC funded; co-supervised with Prof. Mich Tvede and Dr. Nils Braakmann), now lecturer in Economics at Loughborough University, UK.
- Muhammad Siddique (awarded 2014, co-supervised with Prof Steve Procter), now lecturer in HRM at the University of Peshawar, Pakistan.
- Hany Eldemerdash (awarded 2013, co-supervised with Dr Hugh Metcalf), now lecturer in Economics at Tanta University, Egypt.
- Erin Graybill (ESRC funded; co-supervised with Dr Nils Braakmann)
- Mohd. Khairul Rafiz Ramli (co-supervised with Prof Giorgio Fazio)
Economics of Development (ECO3024)
International Finance (NBS8249)
Advanced Topics in International Trade (NBS8258)
I don't hold fixed office hours (based on many years' experience they can't accommodate different timetables across several programmes) but I am happy to see students around their timetable. Please however drop me an email in advance to arrange a mutually suitable appointment.
plus a variety of seminar teaching (maths, globalisation, introductory micro and macro)
- Casalin F, Pang G, Maioli S, Cao T. Inventories and the concentration of suppliers and customers: Evidence from the Chinese manufacturing sector. International Journal of Production Economics 2017, 193, 148-159.
- Eldemerdash H, Metcalf H, Maioli S. Twin deficits: new evidence from a developing (oil vs. non-oil) countries' perspective. Empirical Economics 2014, 47(3), 825-851.
- Caglayan M, Maioli S, Mateut S. Inventories, Sales Uncertainty, and Financial Strength. Journal of Banking and Finance 2012, 36(9), 2512-2521.
- Boulhol H, Dobbelaere S, Maioli S. Imports as Product and Labour Market Discipline. British Journal of Industrial Relations 2011, 49(2), 331-361.
- Hudson R, Maioli S. A Response to “Reflections on a Global financial Crisis”. Critical Perspectives on International Business 2010, 6(1), 53-71.
- Geishecker I, Görg H, Maioli S. The Labour Market Impact of International Outsourcing. In: Greenaway, D; Upward R; Wright, P, ed. Globalisation and Labour Market Adjustment. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2008, pp.152-173.
- Gong Y, Gorg H, Maioli S. Employment effects of privatisation and foreign acquisition of Chinese state-owned enterprises. International Journal of the Economics of Business 2007, 14(2), 197-214.
- Phillipson J, Turner R, Gorton M, Maioli S, Newbery R, Tiwasing P. What's holding rural businesses back?. Newcastle upon Tyne: Rural Enterprise UK, 2017. Rural Economy and Land Use Policy and Practice Note 2.