Dr Volodymyr Bilotkach
Senior Lecturer in Economics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1648
- Address: Office 4.02,
Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dr. Bilotkach joined Newcastle University in 2012. He has previously taught at the University of California, Irvine, and Northumbria University; and held short-time appointments with Kyiv School of Economics, Korea University, ZEW in Mannheim, and Hiroshima University. Dr. Bilotkach is Associate Editor of Journal of Air Transport Management, and serves on Editorial Board of Research in Transportation Economics. He is also the author of the book "Economics of Airlines", published by Agenda Publishing in September 2017.
Google Scholar: Click here.
Dr. Bilotkach's research interest spans the aviation sector of economy. He has published extensively on airline alliances, and written on issues ranging from airline mergers to airport regulation to economics of distribution of airline tickets. He advised the Netherlands Competition Authority and the European Commission on policy issues in the aviation sector. Dr. Bilotkach is a recipient of the Industrial Organization Society's award for the best paper published by a younger scholar in Review of Industrial Organization.
Dr. Bilotkach welcomes inquiries from prospective Ph.D. students interested in working towards their degree at Newcastle University on transportation economics and industrial organization related topics.
TeachingAt Newcastle University, Dr. Bilotkach teaches Introductory Economics, Government and Industry, Price Discrimination, and Applied Economics modules.
- Bilotkach V. Airline Partnerships, Antitrust Immunity, and Joint Ventures: What We Know and What I Think We Would Like to Know. Review of Industrial Organization 2018, (ePub ahead of print).
- Bilotkach V. Political Economy of Infrastructure Investment: Evidence from the Economic Stimulus Airport Grants. Economics of Transportation 2018, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Lakew PA, Bilotkach V. Airport delays and metropolitan employment. Journal of Regional Science 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Waycaster G, Matsumura T, Bilotkach V, Haftka RT, Kim NH. Review of Regulatory Emphasis on Transportation Safety in the United States, 2002-2009: Public versus Private Modes. Risk Analysis: An International Journal 2018, epub ahead of print.
- Bilotkach V. Economics of Airlines. Agenda Publishing, 2017.
- Bilotkach V. Are airports engines of economic development? A dynamic panel data approach. Urban Studies 2015, 52(9), 1577–1593.
- Bilotkach V, Gaggero A, Piga C. Airline pricing under different market conditions: evidence from European low-cost carriers. Tourism Management 2015, 47, 152-163.
- Bilotkach V, Gitto S, Jovanovic R, Mueller J, Pels E. Cost-efficiency benchmarking of European air navigation service providers. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 2015, 77, 50-60.
- Bilotkach V, Mueller J, Nemeth A. Estimating the consumer welfare effects of de-hubbing: The Case of Malév Hungarian Airlines. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 2014, 66, 51-65.
- Bilotkach V, Pai V. Hubs versus Airport Dominance. Transportation Science 2016, 50(1), 166-179.
- Bilotkach V, Lakew PA. On Sources of Market Power in the US Airline Industry: Panel Data Evidence from the US Airports. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 2014, 59, 288-305.
- Bilotkach V, Fageda X, Flores-Fillol R. Airline Consolidation and the Distribution of Traffic between Primary and Secondary Hubs. Regional Science and Urban Economics 2013, 43(6), 951-963.
- Bilotkach V, Huschelrath K. Airline alliances, antitrust immunity, and market foreclosure. Review of Economics and Statistics 2013, 95(4), 1368-1385.
- Polk A, Bilotkach V. The Assessment of Market Power of Hub Airports. Transport Policy 2013, 29, 29-37.
- Bilotkach V, Clougherty J, Mueller J, Zhang A. Regulation, privatization, and airport charges: panel data evidence from European airports. Journal of Regulatory Economics 2012, 42(1), 73-94.
- Bilotkach V, Gorodnichenko Y, Talavera O. Sensitivity of prices to demand shocks: A natural experiment in the San Francisco Bay Area. Transportation Research A: Policy and Practice 2012, 46(7), 1137-1151.
- Bilotkach V, Huschelrath K. Airline alliances and antitrust policy: The role of efficiencies. Journal of Air Transport Management 2012, 21, 76-84.
- Mueller K, Hueschelrath K, Bilotkach V. The Construction of a Low Cost Airline Network: Facing Competition and Exploring New Markets. Managerial and Decision Economics 2012, 33(7-8), 485-499.
- Bilotkach V, Hüschelrath K. Antitrust Immunity for Airline Alliances. Journal of Competition Law and Economics 2011, 7(2), 335–380.
- Bilotkach V. Multimarket contact and intensity of competition: Evidence from an airline merger. Review of Industrial Organization 2011, 38(1), 95-115.
- Bilotkach V, Fageda X, Flores-Fillol R. Scheduled service versus personal transportation: The role of distance. Regional Science and Urban Economics 2010, 40(1), 60-72.
- Bilotkach V. Airline Partnerships and Schedule Coordination. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 2007, 41(3), 413-425.
- Bilotkach V. Asymmetric Regulation and Airport Dominance in International Aviation: Evidence from London – New York Market. Southern Economic Journal 2007, 74(2), 505-523.
- Bilotkach V. Complementary versus Semi-Complementary Airline Partnerships. Transportation Research Part B: Methodological 2007, 41(4), 381-393.
- Bilotkach V. Price Competition between International Airline Alliances. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 2005, 39(2), 167-189.
- Bilotkach V, Kawata K, Kim TS, Park J, Purwandono P, Yoshida Y. Quantifying the impact of low-cost carriers on international air passenger movements to and from major airports in Asia. International Journal of Industrial Organization 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Bilotkach V, Polk A. Market power of airports: A case study for Amsterdam airport Schiphol. Competition and Regulation in Network Industries 2013, 14(4), 320-337.