Skip to main content

Year Abroad

This unique and valuable experience is one of the most attractive aspects of studying languages at university.

Study languages and embrace the opportunity to live abroad - improve your language skills and increase your confidence. The experience will broaden your outlook on the world too.

When will I go?

The year abroad takes place in Stage 3. It usually equates to the third year of study on a four-year programme.

What can I do abroad?

The way in which you spend your year abroad is up to you. You can:

  • work as a British Council teaching assistant in a school (UK nationals only)
  • study at a partner university
  • undertake a work-based placement

Year abroad support

You'll receive lots of help to prepare for your year abroad, including:

  • briefings covering practicalities like insurance, visas and student safety
  • support in finding a work placement
  • a Tandem Learning Scheme, to practise conversation in your foreign language and make in-country contacts, before you travel
  • a training course for language assistants

There are also events in your second year where you can meet:

  • students who have already done their year abroad
  • Erasmus students from our partner universities in Europe
  • Chinese and Japanese exchange students from our host universities in East Asia
Working on laptop

You'll be in contact with our Year Abroad team and your personal tutor during your time abroad. You'll also write blog posts, reflecting on your linguistic, personal and professional development.

Where can I travel to?

Most students can choose to either spend their year abroad in one country or divide it between two countries. For students wishing to take either Chinese or Japanese in their final year, the whole year abroad must be spent in either China or Japan.