Richard Da Costa
Richard has 30 years international experience of leadership and management operating from a base in the UK and France. Sector experience covers Private, Public and the Third or Voluntary sector, across retailing, manufacturing, distribution, publicity, utilities/public services and aid/development organisations.
Experience includes many major change programmes including participating in hostile takeovers, mergers, being sold by a parent company as well as experiencing both listing and de-listing on the UK and US stock markets.
Since 2004, Richard's principal activity has been individual coaching and selected consulting assignments related to change and human resource management issues. These have been predominantly but not exclusively in the UK, France and Belgium.
Richard is a visiting lecturer at Newcastle University Business School; the l'Institut Magellan in Paris and RANEPE in Moscow where I teach modules on International Human Resource management and Leading Change on a variety of Masters level degree programmes. In the past Richard has also taught modules at the Grenoble Business School and at Edhec in Lille.
In the Aid and Development sector, Richard served for 6 years as a Director and Trustee of People in Aid, a London based NGO working globally to improve the practice of human resource management within the sector.
A Chartered Fellow of the CIPD, he has also served in the past as a Director of the Institute.
Richard is also the owner and manager of a family publishing and distribution business.
As a practitioner in Industry, the focus of Richard's contribution to teaching and learning is the translation of academic insights and understanding into the realities of organisational life in order to better prepare students for their future careers.
Some specific examples of assignments undertaken since Richard left the corporate world in 2004 are relevant however to inform teaching practice:
- 2005. A project for Career Development Planning and HR competencies for a global organisation with an HR community of 2,300 employees.
- 2006. An HR audit for the delegated management contract for the supply of potable water to the city of Casablanca, Morocco.
- 2007. Career Development planning for a global community on Internal Auditors of 150 employees within a major European conglomerate.
- 2008. A mobility and expatriation policy development project for a European based worldwide environmental services company.
- 2009. An HR audit for the delegated management contract for the treatment and supply of potable water to the city of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
- 2009. Drafting of HR policies and proposals in support of the tendering process for municipal delegated management contracts worldwide.
- 2012 to date. Facilitation of senior management integration seminars for up to 400 executives three times annually for a global France based energy company.
- Planning and delivering seminars for a Learning Community of 150 people within a major European energy business.
- 2014. Working with a European medical diagnostics company to create and deliver a first ever HR operational plan.
- 2014. Leading a project to develop and implement a global Coaching policy framework for a Belgian/French energy business.
- 2015. Planning and implementing an Employee Engagement survey including focus groups for a Leeds based retail energy business involving 250 employees. This project was done in collaboration with Newcastle University Business School.
Current teaching includes:
Post graduate degree in International Business Management, contributing to running a module entitled "International Management Practitioner.
Post graduate Masters in Business Administration, running a module entitled "Personal and Professional Transformation" working with students to improve their understanding of their own leadership styles and preferences, including an intensive Career Enhancement week.
Previous teaching has included running modules on Leadership, Change management and International Human Resource management.