Professor Alan Murray
Professor, with expertise in Medical Devices
- Email: email@example.com
- Personal Website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Alan_Murray
- Address: School of Engineering
Alan Murray is a Professor in the School of Engineering, with a specific research interest in Medical Devices. He also Professor of Cardiovascular Physics and Strategic Research Advisor in the Medical Faculty. He formed the international research group "Cardiovascular Physics and Engineering" as an active collaboration between university based academic research and hospital based clinical cardiology and cardiovascular surgery. Alan is active in Translational Research bringing together Engineering and Medicine, undertaking and encouraging research publications, grant funded research, PhD training, innovative medical device development, and collaboration with the medical device industry.
His first degree was gained from Strathclyde University, Glasgow, and then his PhD from Edinburgh University. His first appointment was a joint post with Edinburgh University and the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, and since then he has had continuous collaboration with Scottish institutions.
He has published over 300 research papers, including in Nature and Lancet. His primary areas of research are in the development of devices and measurement techniques of clinical value in cardiovascular medicine and surgery. He holds patents in blood pressure measurement and arterial measurement. One of his novel devices led to the creation of a spin-out company. The blood pressure measurement device for which he holds the patent is manufactured in the UK and sold internationally.
He has been Principal Investigator on collaborative research grants from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), Medical Research Council (MRC), Wellcome Trust, British Heart Foundation, Action Research and the European Union. He has collaborated and published with colleagues in Scotland, Ireland, Germany, France, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden, Italy, Poland, Australia, USA, Brazil, Chile, India, Pakistan, Israel, Libya, Tanzania and Mauritius.
The following awards were presented to him: NHS Innovations Award for Successful Exploitation, Healthcare Scientist of the Year, Innovative Technology Award, Manufacturers’ Award, Business for Life Award, Department of Health Clinical Scientist “Extraordinary You”, Honorary Life Member of the International Federation of Medical and Biological Engineering.
In 2014 he received The Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Achievement Medal at a special ceremony in London "in recognition of significant contributions to medical device research, development, design and clinical use".
He was Editor of Clinical Physics & Physiological Measurement, and Editor in Chief of Medical & Biological Engineering & Computing. For 29 years he has been Editor of Computing in Cardiology, published as a free-access publication and also by the IEEE in the USA.
His work on medical devices and in patient safety led to the publication of the book he co-authored on “Medical Devices: Use and Safety”, which was republished in digital format in 2011. It was also published independently in India in 2011 for the Asian market and reprinted, and has been translated into Mandarin Chinese and published by China Science and Technology Press.
Currently he is:
- Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (FIET)
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine (FIPEM)
- Chartered Engineer (CEng)
- Chartered Scientist (CSci)
- Registered Clinical Scientist
- Honorary Life Member, International Federation of Medical and Biological Engineering
- Langley P, Murray A. Heart sound classification from unsegmented phonocardiograms. Physiological Measurement 2017, 38(8), 1658-1670.
- Pan F, He P, Liu C, Li T, Murray A, Zheng D. Variation of the Korotkoff stethoscope sounds during blood pressure measurement: Analysis using a convolutional neural network. IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics 2017, 21(6), 1593-1598.
- Chen D, Chen F, Murray A, Zheng D. A method for extracting respiratory frequency during blood pressure measurement, from oscillometric cuff pressure pulses and Korotkoff sounds recorded during the measurement. In: 38th Annual International Conference of the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC 2016). 2016, Orlando, Florida: IEEE.
- Langley P, Murray A. Abnormal heart sounds detected from short duration unsegmented phonocardiograms by wavelet entropy. In: Computing in Cardiology Conference (CinC) 2016. 2016, Vancouver, Canada: IEEE Computer Society.
- Hoshiyama M, Murray A. Analysis of heart rate variability indices with slowly changing heart rate. In: Computing in Cardiology Conference (CinC) 2016. 2016, Vancouver, Canada: IEEE Computer Society.
- Stainton S, Tsimenidis C, Murray A. Characteristics of phonocardiography waveforms that influence automatic feature recognition. In: Computing in Cardiology Conference (CinC) 2016. 2016, Vancouver, Canada: IEEE Computer Society.
- Liu C, Griffiths C, Murray A, Zheng D. Comparison of stethoscope bell and diaphragm, and of stethoscope tube length, for clinical blood pressure measurement. Blood Pressure Monitoring 2016, 21(3), 178-183.
- Tsimenidis C, Murray A. False alarms during patient monitoring in clinical intensive care units are highly related to poor quality of the monitored electrocardiogram signals. Physiological Measurement 2016, 37(8), 1383-1391.
- Chen D, Chen F, Murray A, Zheng D. Phase difference between respiration signal and respiratory modulation signal from oscillometric cuff pressure pulses during blood pressure measurement. In: Computing in Cardiology Conference (CinC) 2016. 2016, Vancouver, Canada: IEEE Computer Society.
- Chen DL, Chen F, Murray A, Zheng DC. Respiratory modulation of oscillometric cuff pressure pulses and Korotkoff sounds during clinical blood pressure measurement in healthy adults. BioMedical Engineering Online 2016, 15, 53.
- Liu CY, Zheng DC, Griffiths C, Murray A. Comparison of Repeatability of Blood Pressure Measurements between Oscillometric and Auscultatory Methods. In: 2015 Computing in Cardiology Conference (CinC). 2015, Nice, France: IEEE.
- Zheng DC, Liu CY, Amoore J, Mieke S, Murray A. Need for Re-validation of Automated Blood Pressure Devices for use in Unstable Conditions. In: 2015 Computing in Cardiology Conference (CinC). 2015, Nice, France: IEEE.
- Tsimenidis C, Murray A. Reliability of Clinical Alarm Detection in Intensive Care Units. In: Computing in Cardiology conference (CinC). 2015, Nice, France: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Langley P, Bourke JP, Murray A. The U Wave in Atrial Fibrillation. In: 2015 Computing in Cardiology Conference (CinC). 2015, Nice, France: IEEE.
- Zheng D, Liu C, Amoore J, Mieke S, Murray A. Validation of a blood pressure simulator that regenerates oscillometric cuff pressure waveforms. In: Computing in Cardiology (CinC 2014). 2014, Cambridge, MA, USA: IEEE Computer Society.
- Stergiou GS, Alpert B, Mieke S, Asmar R, Atkins N, Eckert S, Frick G, Friedman B, Grassl T, Ichikawa T, Ioannidis JP, Lacy P, McManus R, Murray A, Myers M, Palatini P, Parati G, Quinn D, Sarkis J, Shennan A, Usuda T, Wang J, Wu CO, O'Brien E. A universal standard for the validation of blood pressure measuring devices: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation/European Society of Hypertension/International Organization for Standardization (AAMI/ESH/ISO) Collaboration Statement. Journal of Hypertension 2018, 36(3), 472-478.
- Stergiou GS, Alpert B, Mieke S, Asmar R, Atkins N, Eckert S, Frick G, Friedman B, Grassl T, Ichikawa T, Ioannidis JP, Lacy P, McManus R, Murray A, Myers M, Palatini P, Parati G, Quinn D, Sarkis J, Shennan A, Usuda T, Wang J, Wu CO, O'Brien E. A universal standard for the validation of blood pressure measuring devices: Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation/European Society of Hypertension/International Organization for Standardization (AAMI/ESH/ISO) Collaboration Statement. Hypertension 2018, 71(3), 368-374.
- Wang Y, Wei S, Zhang S, Zhang Y, Zhao L, Liu C, Murray A. Comparison of time-domain, frequency-domain and non-linear analysis for distinguishing congestive heart failure patients from normal sinus rhythm subjects. Biomedical Signal Processing and Control 2018, 42, 30-36.
- Liu C, Zhao L, Cai Z, Liu F, Li Y, Wei S, Li J, Murray A. Effect of ectopic beats on heart rate variability indices in heart failure patients. In: World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering 2018. 2018, Prague, Czech Republic: Springer Verlag.
- Sharkey EJ, Di Maria C, Klinge A, Murray A, Zheng D, O'Sullivan J, Allen J. Innovative multi-site photoplethysmography measurement and analysis demonstrating increased arterial stiffness in paediatric heart transplant recipients. Physiological Measurement 2018, 39, 074007.
- Hoshiyama M, Murray A. Analysis in Cardiac Stability over Thirty Minute Periods. In: Computing in Cardiology 2017. 2017, Rennes, France: IEEE Computer Society.
- Liu C, Murray A. Applications of complexity analysis in clinical heart failure. In: Riccardo Barbieri, Enzo Pasquale Scilingo, Gaetano Valenza, ed. Complexity and Nonlinearity in Cardiovascular Signals. Cham, Switzerland: Springer International Publishing, 2017, pp.301-325.
- Gui Y, Chen F, Murray A, Zheng D. Pulse Interval Modulation-based Method to Extract the Respiratory Rate from Oscillometric Cuff Pressure Waveform During Blood Pressure Measurement. In: Computing in Cardiology 2017. 2017, Rennes, France: IEEE Computer Society.
- Liu C, Zheng D, Zhao L, Li P, Liu C, Murray A. Analysis of cardiovascular time series using multivariate sample entropy: A comparison between normal and congestive heart failure subjects. In: Computing in Cardiology. 2014, Cambridge, MA, USA: IEEE Computer Society.
- Zheng D, Pan F, Murray A. In response: Confirmation of the need to evaluate devices that measure blood pressure during cuff inflation with manual measurements during normal deflation. Blood Pressure Monitoring 2014, 19(2), 120-121.
- Bojarnejad M, Blake JR, Bourke J, Shepherd E, Murray A, Langley P. Non-invasive estimation of left atrial dominant frequency in atrial fibrillation from different electrode sites: Insight from body surface potential mapping. Journal of Atrial Fibrillation 2014, 7(3), 6-10.
- Liu C, Zheng D, Griffiths C, Murray A. Oscillometric waveform difference between cuff inflation and deflation during blood pressure measurement. In: Computing in Cardiology. 2014, Cambridge, MA, USA: IEEE.
- Di Maria C, Sharkey E, Klinge A, Zheng D, Murray A, O'Sullivan J, Allen J. A pilot study of photoplethysmographic peripheral pulse transit times in paediatric heart transplant recipients and healthy children. In: Computing in Cardiology. 2013, Zaragoza, Spain.
- Murray A. Design, development, training and use of medical devices; with practical examples from cardiovascular medicine and surgery. In: XIII Mediterranean Conference on Medical and Biological Engineering and Computing 2013. 2013, Seville, Spain: Springer.