Dr Alasdair Charles
Director of SAgE Faculty Foundation Year / Lecturer
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7900
- Address: Room G48, Bedson Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne
Roles and Responsibilities
- Director of SAgE Faculty Foundation Year.
- Director of ACMA analytical services.
Areas of expertise
- Engineering failures
- BSc, PhD, CChem, Senior Corrosion Technologist (NACE International)
- FICorr, MRSC, FRMS, FRAS, member of NACE and Associate member of the Welding Institute (TWI)
I trained as an electrochemist but have worked in the area of metals and alloys for many years. My research is mainly on corrosion and electrochemical topics associated with alloys used in the power-generating industry and in pipeline systems. I have an interest in high temperature measurements of pH and potential and in all types of environment assisted cracking from hydrogen embrittlement through to corrosion fatigue.
I direct an analytical support service and have expertise in scanning electron microscopy and spectroscopic analysis.
PhD Postgraduate Supervision in Corrosion topics :
Jinwei Chen 1998-2003 (100%)
Shahinoor Dulal 1999-2003 (50% share)
Carly De Silva 2000-unsubmitted (100%)
Wenzhong Zhang 1999-2004 (100%)
Mirjan Vicevic 2003-2008 (70% share)
Alahji Mustapha 2006-2010 (90% share)
Octavio Albores 2007-2011 (70% share)
Daniel Sandana 2009- 2013 (part-time)
Ramoon Ahmed 2010 - unsubmitted
Khalid Shartal 2014 -
Michael Pugh 2014 -
Co-supervisor of several other related corrosion projects including
Muhammad Abbas with Marine, PhD 2016
Marco Pitome with Archaeology, 2015 -
Chartered Chemist, 2001
Fellow of the Institute of Corrosion, 2002
Assistant Editor of international journal, Electrochimica Acta, 2000 -2002
Electron microscopy service and chemical analysis services - see ACMA website: www.ncl.ac.uk/acma/
See ACMA website: www.ncl.ac.uk/acma/
UK 2227365 in respect of an electrical level sensor
Modules in chemistry, corrosion, materials science and materials engineering from Foundation Year through to Masters level across four Schools.
I am module leader for eight modules, Director for the SAgE Faculty Foundation Year, Chair of Board of Studies and Chair of Staff Student Committee for Faculty Foundation Year.
Modules in corrosion and materials science to MSc across several Schools. I am DPD for the Materials Design and Engineering MSc programme in Engineering.
- Davies CW, Davie CT, Edward CA, White ML. Physicochemical and Geotechnical Alterations to MX-80 Bentonite at the Waste Canister Interface in an Engineered Barrier System. Geosciences 2017, 7(3), 69.
- Wang J, Zhang H, Hunt MRC, Charles A, Tang J, Bretcanu O, Walker D, Hassan KT, Sun Y, Siller L. Synthesis and characterisation of reduced graphene oxide/bismuth composite for electrodes in electrochemical energy storage devices. ChemSusChem 2017, 10(2), 466-466.
- Padovani C, Albores-Silva OE, Charles EA. Corrosion Control of Stainless Steels in Indoor Atmospheres-Laboratory Measurements Under MgCl2 Deposits at Constant Relative Humidity (Part 1). Corrosion 2015, 71(3), 292-304.
- Bagley F, Atlar M, Charles A, Anderson C. The use of copper-based antifoulings on aluminium ship hulls. Ocean Engineering 2015, 109, 595-602.
- Sandana D, Dale M, Charles EA, Race JM. Transport of Gaseous and Dense Carbon Dioxide in Pipelines: Is There an Internal Stress Corrosion Cracking Risk?. In: Corrosion. 2013, Orlando, Florida: NACE.
- Mustapha A, Charles EA, Hardie D. Evaluation of environment-assisted cracking susceptibility of a grade X100 pipeline steel. Corrosion Science 2012, 54, 5-9.
- Mustapha A, Charles EA, Hardie D. The effect of microstructure on stress-strain behaviour and susceptibility to cracking of pipeline steels. Journal of Metallurgy 2012, Article ID 638290.
- Sandana D, Hadden M, Race J, Charles E. Transport of gaseous and dense carbon dioxide in pipelines: is there an internal corrosion risk?. Journal of Pipeline Engineering 2012, 11(3), 229-238.
- Albores-Silva OE, Charles EA, Padovani C. Effect of chloride deposition on stress corrosion cracking of 316L stainless steel used for intermediate level radioactive waste containers. Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology 2011, 46(2), 124-128.
- Ahchawarattaworn J, Charles E, Thompson D, Freer R. Perovskite-type oxynitride dielectrics. In: The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society: 3rd International Conference on Processing Materials for Properties (PMP III). 2009, Bangkok, Thailand: The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS).
- Charles EA, Ness MG. Crevice corrosion of implants recovered after tibial plateau leveling osteotomy in dogs. Veterinary Surgery 2006, 35(5), 438-444.
- Hardie D, Charles EA, Lopez AH. Hydrogen embrittlement of high strength pipeline steels. Corrosion Science 2006, 48(12), 4378-4385.
- Dulal SMSI, Charles EA, Roy S. Characterisation of Co-Ni(Cu)/Cu multilayers deposited from a citrate electrolyte in a flow channel cell. Electrochimica Acta 2004, 49(12), 2041-2049.
- Dulal SMSI, Charles EA, Roy S. Dissolution from electrodeposited copper-cobalt-copper sandwiches. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry 2004, 34(2), 151-158.
- Hardie D, Xu J, Charles EA, Wei Y. Hydrogen embrittlement of stainless steel overlay materials for hydrogenators. Corrosion Science 2004, 46(12), 3089-3100.
- Zhang W, Charles EA, Congleton J. Thermodynamic foundation for high temperature electrochemistry. Chemical Research in Chinese Universities 2004, 20(4), 494-500.
- Zhang W, Charles EA. A thermodynamic approach to calculate the yttria-stabilized zirconia pH sensor potential. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry 2003, 33(11), 1025-1033.
- Congleton J, Charles EA. Some uses of slow strain rate testing under applied potential control in studying SCC of materials in nuclear power plant. In: TMS International Conference on Hydrogen Effects on Material Behaviour and Corrosion Deformation Interactions. 2003, Moran, Wyoming, USA: The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society.
- Congleton J, Charles EA. Some uses of slow strain rate testing under applied potential control in studying SCC of materials used in nuclear power plants. In: Hydrogen Effects on Material Behaviour and Corrosion Deformation Interactions - Proc. of the International Conference on Hydrogen Effects on Material Behaviour and Corrosion Deformation Interactions. 2003, Moran, Wyoming, USA: The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society.
- Li GF, Charles EA, Congleton J. Effect of post weld heat treatment on stress corrosion cracking of a low alloy steel to stainless steel transition weld. Corrosion Science 2001, 43(10), 1963-1983.
- Congleton J, Charles EA, Sui G. Review on effect of cyclic loading on environmental assisted cracking of alloy 600 in typical nuclear coolant waters. Corrosion Science 2001, 43(12), 2265-2279.
- Congleton J, Charles EA. Stress corrosion of iron base alloys in high temperature water. In: TMS annual meeting (in honour of Roger Staehle). 2001, USA: TMS.
- Congleton J, Charles EA. Stress corrosion of iron-base alloys in high temperature water environments. In: Symposium on Chemistry and Electrochemistry of Corrosion and Stress Corrosion Cracking - A Symposium Honoring the Contributions of RW Staehle. 2001, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA: Minerals, Metals and Materials Society.