Dr Claire Walsh
Lecturer in Water Engineering
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6447
- Address: School of Engineering
Room 3.13, Cassie Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
Claire is a Lecturer in the Water Group in the School of Engineering. She joined the school in 1999 as a PhD student; her thesis, 'Simulation and analysis of river flow regimes: implications for sustainable management of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) under climate change' was funded by NERC and investigated how climate change may affect river flows in the River Eden, Cumbria, and in turn assessed how these projected changes would impact on Atlantic salmon habitat. Prior to this, Claire studied Geography, also at Newcastle University.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Editorial Panel Member for Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering Sustainability
Area of expertise
- Golnaz Jahanshahi: Uncertainties in long-term management of water resources
- Laura McGinty: Evaluation and funding of green infrastructure in urban areas
- PhD Civil Engineering at Newcastle University
- BSc (First Class Honours) Geography at Newcastle University
- British Hydrological Society
Research Gate: Click here.
Google Scholar: Click here.
SCOPUS: Click here.
Flood risk assessment and management in urban areas
Climate impacts on water resources
Infrastructure business models
UKCRIC - UK Collaboratorium for Research in Infrastructure & Cities. ( £9.7M, 2016 - 2021) Researcher Co-I.
NERC Drought resilience in ecosystem services and rural communities in China. (£160k, 2016-2017). Co-I.
EPSRC Preparing for GCRF: Advancing planning of drainage in Low and Middle Income Countries. (£20k, 2016-2017). PI.
EPSRC Prosperity Outcomes: Resilient Nation: Planning and building new tools for climate resilient. (£35k, 2016-2017). PI.
EPSRC. Grand Challenge in Water: Tailored Water to ENsure sustainabiliTY beyond 2065 (£3.9M, 2016-2021). Co-I.
EPSRC. Impact Acceleration Award: Web-service simulation model and tool for flood risk management in urban areas (£80k, 2016-2017). PI.
NERC. Delivering green infrastructure in cities through a new business model. (£30k, 2016-2016). Co-I.
Institute for Sustainability, Newcastle University. BUG: Bio-informing Urban Gardening (£34k, 2015-2016). PI.
Science Central, Newcastle University. MINT Community Action and Knowledge Exchange. (£8k, 2015-2016). Co-I.
Science Central, Newcastle University. SPATIAL: Sparse data acquisition via societal collaboration. (£7k, 2014-2015). PI.
Workers Education Association. Greening Wingrove Barometer. (£18k, 2013-2017). PI.
EPSRC. Knowledge Transfer Secondment at Newcastle City Council (£70k, 2011-2012).
Other Research Projects
iBUILD (Infrastructure BUsiness models, valuation and Innovation for Local Delivery). Research programme/Centre Manager and core research fellow; jointly-funded by EPSRC and ESRC. 2013-2017.
Reconciling Adaptation, Mitigation and Sustainable Development for Cities. Named researcher; EU FP7 funded. 2012-2017.
SHOCK Project. Named researcher; EPSRC funded. 2011-2013.
Adaptation and Resilience in Cities: Analysis and Decision making using Integrated Assessment. Research co-ordinator; EPSRC funded. 2009-2012.
Platform Grant on Earth Systems Engineering. Named researcher; EPSRC funded. 2008-2014.
Severe Weather Events Risk and Vulnerability Estimator. Researcher Co-Investigator; EPSRC funded. 2008-2011.
Sustaining Knowledge for a Changing Climate. Core researcher; EPSRC funded. 2006-2008.
Incorporating Climate Change into River Typologies. Core researcher; Environment Agency funded. 2006-2007.
Engineering Cities Project. Named researcher; Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research; NERC funded. 2006-2009.
Equivalent Flows for Freshwater Fisheries. Core researcher; Environment Agency funded. 2004-2006.
Sustainable Water Uncertainty, Risk and Vulnerability in Europe. Research assistant; EU FP5 funded. 2003-2004.
- Awarded Newcastle University's 'Best Environment Research Project' in 2016 (BUG) and 2014 (Cafe Waste).
- Invited guest speaker and mentor at The National Center for Atmospheric Research’s Institute for Mathematics’ Applied to Geosciences Theme of the Year Workshop on Uncertainty in Climate Change Research: An Integrated Approach, held in Boulder Colorado, August 2012.
- Guest Editor for a double Special Issue of Hydrology Research, published January 2012.
- Elected Honorary Secretary of the British Hydrological Society for two terms (2008-2012).
- Chair of the Organising Committee for the British Hydrological Society six-yearly International Symposium held at Newcastle University, 2010.
- Organising committee member for the British Hydrological Society National Symposium, Dundee, 2012.
- Won a prestigious scholarship to attend Brown University’s International Advanced Research Institute on Climate Change and Water Resources in 2011.
- 2009 – 2011: Meetings’ Committee Member of the Royal Meteorological Society.
- 2006 – 2008: Elected Committee Member of the British Hydrological Society.
- 2004 – 2008: Chair of the Pennines’ Hydrological Group.
CIV 958 Hydroecology
CIV 974 Sustainability and Water Resources
CIV 998 MSc Dissertation supervision
- Palmero V, Walsh CL, Dawson RJ, Fichera A, Inturri G. Multi-sector mitigation strategies at the neighbourhood scale. Journal of Cleaner Production 2018, 187, 893-902.
- Bridgens B, Powell M, Farmer G, Walsh CL, Reed E, Royapoor M, Gosling P, Hall J, Heidrich O. Creative upcycling: reconnecting people, materials and place through making. Journal of Cleaner Production 2018, 189, 145-154.
- Carhart C, Bouch C, Walsh CL, Dolan T. Applying a new concept for strategic performance indicators. Infrastructure Asset Management 2016, 3(4), 143-153.
- Dolan T, Walsh CL, Bouch C, Carhart N. A conceptual approach to strategic performance indicators. Infrastructure Asset Management 2016, 3(4), 132-142.
- Walsh CL, Blenkinsop S, Fowler HJ, Burton A, Dawson RJ, Glenis V, Manning LJ, Jahanshahi G, Kilsby CG. Adaptation of water resource systems to an uncertain future. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 2016, 20, 1869-1884.
- Brown S, Aplin KL, Jenkins K, Mander S, Walsh C, Williams PD. Freewheelin' scientists citing Bob Dylan Weather scientists cite Bob Dylan too. BMJ 2016, 352, i265.
- Sayers P, Walsh CL, Dawson RJ. Climate impacts on flood and coastal erosion infrastructure. Infrastructure Asset Management 2015, 2(2), 69-83.
- Brown S, Aplin KL, Jenkins K, Mander S, Walsh CL, William PD. Is there a Rhythm of the Rain? An analysis of weather in popular music. Weather 2015, 70(7), 198–204.
- Walsh CL, Glendinning S, Castán-Broto V, Dewberry E, Powell M. Are wildcard events on infrastructure systems opportunities for transformational change?. Futures 2015, 67, 1-10.
- Castán Broto V, Glendinning S, Dewberry E, Walsh CL, Powell M. What can we learn about transitions for sustainability from infrastructure shocks?. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2014, 84, 186-196.
- Powell M, Glendinning S, CastanBroto V, Dewberry E, Walsh C. Shaped by Shock: Staff on the Emergency Department 'Shop Floor'. Anthropology in Action 2014, 21(2), 14-22.
- Dawson RJ, Walsh CL, Purnell P, Rogers CDF. Briefing: Infrastructure business models, valuation and innovation for local delivery. Infrastructure Asset Management 2014, 1(3), 66-67.
- Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Reckien D, Walsh CL. How prepared are UK cities for addressing climate change adaptation and mitigation?. Urbanization and Global Environmental Change Viewpoints 2014, 10, 17-21.
- Walsh CL, Roberts D, Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Nickson A, Hounsome R. Experiences of integrated assessment of climate impacts, adaptation and mitigation modelling in London and Durban. Environment and Urbanization 2013, 25(2), 361-380.
- Walsh CL, Glendinning S, Dawson RJ, England K, Martin M, Watkins CL, Wilson R, Glenis V, McLoughlin A, Parker D. Collaborative platform to facilitate engineering decision-making. Proceedings of the ICE - Engineering Sustainability 2013, 166(2), 98-107.
- Heidrich O, Dawson RJ, Reckien D, Walsh CL. Assessment of the climate preparedness of 30 urban areas in the UK. Climatic Change 2013, 120(4), 771-784.
- Walsh C, Fowler H, Kilsby C, Black A. Role of hydrology in managing consequences of a changing global environment. Hydrology Research 2012, 43(5), 548-550.
- Walsh CL, Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Barr SL, Batty M, Bristow AL, Carney S, Dagoumas A, Ford AC, Harpham C, Tight MR, Watters H, Zanni A. Assessment of climate change mitigation & adaptation in cities. Urban Design and Planning 2011, 164(2), 75-84.
- Orr H, Large ARG, Newson M, Walsh CL. A predictive typology for characterising hydromorphology. Geomorphology 2008, 100(1-2), 32-40.
- Walsh CL, Kilsby CG. Implications of climate change on flow regime affecting Atlantic salmon. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 2007, 11(3), 1127-1143.
- Mayes WM, Walsh CL, Bathurst JC, Kilsby CG, Quinn RF, Wilkinson ME, Daugherty AJ, O'Connell PE. Monitoring a flood event in a densely instrumented catchment, the Upper Eden, Cumbria, UK. Water and Environment Journal 2006, 20(4), 217-226.
- Dawson RJ, Hall JW, Walsh CL, Barker T, Barr SL, Batty M, Bristow A, Burton A, Carney S, Dagoumas A, Evans S, Ford AC, Glennis V, Goodess C, Harpham C, Harwatt H, Kilsby CG, Kohler J, Jones P, Manning L, McCarthy M, Sanderson M, Tight M, Timms M, Zanni A. The Tyndall Centre’s Urban Integrated Assessment Facility. UGEC Viewpoints 2010, 3, 8-12.