Professor Savvas Papagiannidis
David Goldman Chair of Innovation & Enterprise
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1598
- Personal Website: http://www.papagiannidis.org
- Address: Newcastle University Business School
5 Barrack Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 4SE
- Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) in E-business
- PhD Theoretical Physics
- MEd Practitioner Enquiry
- MA International Studies
- PG Certificate In Academic Practice
- BSc Hons Theoretical Physics
- Member of the British Academy of Management
- Member of Institute of Physics (MInstP)
- Member of the UK Academy of Information Systems (UKAIS)
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Elected member of the British Academy of Management Council
- Chair of the British Academy of Management Ebusiness & Egovernment SIG & Track Chair
- Member of the UKAIS Board
- Head of the Marketing, Operations and Systems Subject Group
- Head of the Innovation and Enterpreneurship and Ebusiness Group
- Research Group Leader for Innovation Systems
- Degree Programme Director of MSc Ebusiness (Emarketing and IS)
- Member of the Alumni Consultative Group and vice-chairman of the NE NUBS Alumni Branch
My research interests mainly revolve around electronic business and its various sub-domains and high tech entrepreneurship. More specifically, my research aims to inform our understanding of how e-business technologies affect the social and business environment, organisational strategies and business models, and how these are implemented in terms of functional innovations. My work puts strong emphasis on innovation, new value creation and exploitation of entrepreneurial opportunities, within the context of different industries. Apart from the impact that the Internet and related technologies can have on businesses, I am also very much interested in the impact such technologies can have on individual users.
I am currently working on a number of e-related papers (e.g. on virtual worlds, political marketing and mobile video). A few of my publications may be also available in the e-print section of University's main web site.
- E-learning & Higher Education
- ICT Innovation, Adoption and Acceptance
- Social / New Media
- Virtual worlds / metaverses
- Internet and other emerging technologies
Apart from postgraduate dissertation supervision, I am supervising a number of doctoral students.
Editorial Boards Participation
I am one of the founding editors of the International Journal of Business Science & Applied Management (www.business-and-management.org) and a member of a number of editorial boards (e.g. the advisory board of Technological Forecasting and Social Change).
- Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC): North East Fuse Project: Map the art business clusters Duration: 03/2016 – 09/2018 Funding: £15,407 (for the sub-project I worked on).
- Newcastle University Institute of Social Renewal Project: Psychological process that determines post-retirement entrepreneurial intention Duration: 12/2014–06/2015 Funding: £1,250
- British Academy of Management E-business and E-government SIG Doctoral/ ECR Workshops Project: Organise 5 doctoral and early career research workshops on e-business and e-government. Duration: 11/2014–11/2015 Total Funding: £11,500
- Newcastle University Business School Research Fund Project: Enhancing the online brand experience Duration: 03/2014 – 06/2014 Funding: £1,000
- Newcastle University Enterprise Activity Support Fund Project name: Engage CMS Duration: 03/2014 – 07/2014 Funding: £25,000
- Newcastle University Research Internships Project: The use of space by a social enterprise / Social media and engagement Duration:06/2013 – 08/2013 Funding: £3,000
- Newcastle University Institute of Social Renewal
5 x Research and Engagement Projects on Social Renewal Duration:06/2013 – 07/2013 Funding: £4,350
- Newcastle University Research Internships Project: Web Site Change: Studying the diffusion of Internet technologies Duration:04/2012 – 07/2012 Funding: £3,000
- Newcastle University REF Fund & Business School Project: Studying 3D product authenticity Duration: 09/2010 – 08/2011 Funding: £3,000
- Newcastle University Teaching and Innovation Fund Award Project: Delivery of online taster courses Duration:04/2010 – 02/2011 Funding: £4,500
- Newcastle University Business Voucher Scheme Project: To improve the online presence and services of a local SME. Duration: 12/2009-01/2010 Funding: £4,000
- Newcastle University Teaching and Innovation Fund Award Project: Delivery of online taster courses Duration: 04/2009 – 10/2009 Funding: £5,000
- British Telecoms Research Fellowship Duration: 11/2008-02/2009 Topic: Online video services
- KTP: Developing and Implementing an E-Business System in Peacocks Medical Group Project jointly funded by the DTI, ESRC and Peacocks Medical Group under the Knowledge Transfer Programme (KTP). To map and re-engineer the company's key business processes and put in place the supporting IT and e-business systems in order to improve competitiveness and customer services and reduce costs and lead-time. Duration 2005-2007 Funding £99,044
- Development and Implementation of the Online Resource Portal for British Academy of Management. Funding £17,625 Working with BAM Council and BAM Executive to specify, design, develop and implement an online resource portal for the British Academy of Management.
- Newcastle University HASS Faculty Teaching Fellowship Develop a management information system to facilitate institutional assessment strategies. Duration: 2006-2007 Funding £12,000
- Knight D, Walsh S, Papagiannidis S. I’m having a Spring Clear Out: A Corpus-based Analysis of e-transactional Discourse . Applied Linguistics 2017, 38(2), 235-257.
- Dermentzi E, Papagiannidis S. Academics’ intention to adopt online technologies for public engagement. Internet Research 2017. In Press.
- Hajli N, Shanmugam M, Papagiannidis S, Zahay D, Richard M. Branding co-creation with members of online brand communities. Journal of Business Research 2017, 70, 136-144.
- Palamida E, Xanthopoulou D, Papagiannidis S, Stamati T. Exploring intentions towards human, social, and financial capital investments in a turbulent economic environment. International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation 2017, 18(2), 79–90.
- Papagiannidis S, See-To E, Assimakopoulos D, Yang Y. Identifying industrial clusters with a novel big-data methodology: are SIC codes (not) fit for purpose in the Internet age?. Computers & Operations Research 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Palamida E, Papagiannidis S, Xanthopoulou D. Linking young individuals’ capital to investment intentions: Comparing two cultural backgrounds. European Management Journal 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis M, Alamanos E, Dennis C. Preferences of smart shopping channels and their impact on perceived wellbeing and social inclusion. Computers in Human Behaviour 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Apiraksattayakul C, Papagiannidis S, Alamanos E. Shopping via Instagram: The influence of perceptions of value, benefits and risks on purchase intentions. International Journal of Online Marketing 2017, 7(4), 1.
- Manika D, Gregory-Smith D, Papagiannidis S. The influence of prior knowledge structures on website attitudes and behavioral intentions. Computers in Human Behaviour 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Papagiannidis S, Pantano E, See-To E, Dennis C, Bourlakis M. To immerse or not? Experimenting with two virtual retail environments. Information Technology & People 2017, 30(1), Epub ahead of print.
- Dennis C, Bourlakis M, Alamanos E, Papagiannidis S, Brakus J. Value co-creation through multiple shopping channels: The interconnections with social exclusion and wellbeing. International Journal of Electronic Commerce 2017, 21(4), 517-547.
- Dermentzi E, Papagiannidis S, Osorio Toro C, Yannopoulou N. Academic engagement: Differences between intention to adopt Social Networking Sites and other online technologies. Computers in Human Behavior 2016, 61, 321-332.
- Dennis C, Alamanos E, Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis M. Does social exclusion influence multiple channel use? The interconnections with community, happiness and well-being. Journal of Business Research 2016, 69(3), 1061-1070.
- Papagiannidis S, Manika D. Political Participation and Engagement via Different Online and Offline Channels. International Journal of E-Business Research 2016, 12(4), 1-22.
- Dennis C, Papagiannidis S, Alamanos E, Bourlakis M. The role of brand attachment strength in higher education. Journal of Business Research 2016, 69(8), 3049-3057.
- Manika D, Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis M. Understanding the effects of a social media service failure apology: A comparative study of customers vs. potential customers. International Journal of Information Management 2016.
- Manika D, Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis M. Can a CEO's YouTube apology following a service failure win customers' hearts?. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2015, 95, 87-95.
- Papagiannidis S, Gebka B, Gertner D, Stahl F. Diffusion of web technologies and practices: A longitudinal study. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2015, 96, 308-321.
- Papagiannidis S, Stamati T, Behr H. Greek politicians and the Use of Online Technologies for Citizen Engagement. In: Public Affairs and Administration: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. IGI Global, 2015, pp.1255-1273.
- Kraus S, Richter C, Papagiannidis S, Durst S. Innovating and exploiting entrepreneurial opportunities in Smart Cities: Evidence from Germany. Creativity and Innovation Management 2015, 24(4), 601-616.
- Pang G, Casalin F, Papagiannidis S, Muyldermans L, Tse YK. Price determinants for remanufactured electronic products: a case study on eBay UK. International Journal of Production Research 2015, 53(2), 572-589.
- Palamida E, Papagiannidis S, Xanthopoulou D, Stamati T. Capital, motives and their link to investment intentions: The moderating role of the financial crisis in Greece. Journal of Small Business Management 2014, 53(Suppl. 1), 115-144.
- See-To E, Papagiannidis S, Westland JC. The moderating role of income on consumers' preferences and usage for online and offline payment methods. Electronic Commerce Research 2014, 14(2), 189-213.
- Papagiannidis S, See-To E, Bourlakis M. Virtual Test-driving: The impact of simulated products on purchase intention. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services 2014, 21(5), 877-887.
- Alshamaila Y, Papagiannidis S, Li F. Cloud Computing Adoption by SMEs in the North East of England: A multi-perspective framework. Journal of Enterprise Information Management 2013, 26(3), 250-275.
- Papagiannidis S, Pantano E, See-To E, Bourlakis M. Modelling the determinants of a simulated experience in a virtual retail store and users' product purchasing intentions. Journal of Marketing Management 2013, 29(13-14), 1462-1492.
- Papagiannidis S, Stamati T, Behr H. Online engagement and impact: The case of Greek politicians during the financial crisis. International Journal of E-Business Research 2013, 9(4), 47-66.
- Papagiannidis S, Coursaris C, Bourlakis M. Do websites influence the nature of voting intentions? The case of two national elections in Greece. Computers in Human Behavior 2012, 28(2), 300-307.
- Xanthopoulou D, Papagiannidis S. Games-Work Interaction: The Beneficial Impact of Computer Games on Work Behaviors. In: Bakker, A.B., Derks, D, ed. The Psychology of Digital Media at Work. United Kingdom: Psychology Press, 2012. In Press.
- Xanthopoulou D, Papagiannidis S. Play online, work better? Examing the spillover of active learning and transformational leadership. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2012, 79(7), 1328-1339.
- See-To E, Papagiannidis S, Cho V. User experience on mobile video appreciation: how to engross users and to enhance their enjoyment in watching mobile video clips. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2012, 79(8), 1484-1494.
- Papagiannidis S. Adopting online taster courses in postgraduate recruitment: The case of a British business school. Studies in Higher Education 2011, 38(7), 1058-1078.
- Papagiannidis S, Riedler C, Fink M, Kraus S. Forschungsleistungen der deutschsprachigen Entrepreneurship-Forschung. Zeitschrift für KMU und Entrepreneurship 2011, 59(4), 301-322.
- Li F, Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis M. Living in 'multiple spaces': extending our socioeconomic environment through virtual worlds. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 2010, 28(3), 425-446.
- Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis M. Staging the new retail drama: At a metaverse near you!. Journal of Virtual Worlds Research 2010, 2(5), 3-17.
- Papagiannidis S, Li F, Etzkowitz H, Clouser M. Entrepreneurial Networks: A Triple Helix Approach for Brokering Human and Social Capital. Journal of International Entrepreneurship 2009, 7(3), 215-235.
- Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis M, Li F. I have an avatar therefore I exist. Electronic Commerce Research 2009, 9(1-2), 1-2.
- Coursaris C, Papagiannidis S. Online political marketing in Greece: An evaluation of the 2007 national elections and two case studies. Computers in Human Behavior 2009, 25(4), 853-861.
- Bourlakis M, Papagiannidis S, Li F. Retail spatial evolution: Paving the way from traditional to metaverse retailing. Electronic Commerce Research 2009, 9(1-2), 135-148.
- Theodoulou T, Papagiannidis S. Still watching other people's programmes? The case of current TV. International Journal of e-Business Research 2009, 5(4), 55-67.
- Martin K, Papagiannidis S, Li F, Bourlakis M, Cook S, Hansell A. Early challenges of implementing an e-commerce system in a medical supply company: A case experience from a knowledge transfer partnership (KTP). International Journal of Information Management 2008, 28(1), 68-75.
- Bourlakis M, Papagiannidis S, Fox H. E-consumer behaviour: Past, present and future trajectories of an evolving retail revolution. International Journal of e-Business Research 2008, 4(3), 64-76.
- Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis MA, Li F. Fulfilling the e-supply chain of digital print. International Journal of Information Technology and Management 2008, 7(1), 98–112.
- Woerndl M, Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis MA, Li F. Internet-induced marketing techniques: Critical factors of viral marketing. International Journal of Business Science and Applied Management 2008, 3(1), 33-45.
- Papagiannidis S. Is it really possible to think strategically about assessment?. International Journal of Management Education 2008, 6(3), 5-12.
- Papagiannidis S, Bourlakis M, Li F. Making real money in virtual worlds: MMORPGs and emerging business opportunities, challenges and ethical implications in metaverses. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2008, 75(5), 610-622.
- Bourlakis M, Papagiannidis S, Fox H. Trusting the Avatar: An examination of trust and risk factors in electronic and virtual retailing. In: Kautonen, T; Karjaluoto, H, ed. Trust and New Technologies: Marketing and Management on the Internet and Mobile Media. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing, 2008, pp.40-55.
- Papagiannidis S, Berry J. What has been learned from emergent music business models?. International Journal of E-Business Research 2007, 3(3), 25-42.
- Papagiannidis S, Berry J, Li F. Well beyond streaming video: IPv6 and the next generation television. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2006, 73(5), 510-523.
- Papagiannidis S, Li F. Management and delivery of digital print via the web: A case study of Gaia Fulfilment. International Journal of Cases of Electronic Commerce 2005, 1(1), 1-18.
- Papagiannidis S, Li F. Skills brokerage: A new model for business start-ups in the networked economy. European Management Journal 2005, 23(4), 471-482.
- Goss JP, Briddon PR, Papagiannidis S, Jones R. Interstitial nitrogen and its complexes in diamond. Physical Review B 2004, 70(23), 235208.