There are three research groups in KITE:
This group is a focal point for scholars interested in entrepreneurship, enterprise and small and medium sized (SME) research within the Business School and across the University.
KITE is currently engaged in research around social renewal, and an ESRC-sponsorsed Seminar Series around information sharing in policy and practice, in conjunction with the Centre of Excellence for Information Sharing.
Find out more about the Entrepeneurship research group.
The group brings together people in the Business School with an interest in innovation, seeking to enhance collaboration and promote innovation findings to a wide audience, both regionally and beyond.
Find out more about the Innovation research group.
Public and Social innovation
The group brings together people in the Business School with an interest in the development of thinking and practice in community and public service contexts.
Find out more abut the Public and Social Innovation research group.
KITE has a strong track record of engaged research and development. We had a strong Impact submission in the last Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Collaboration with industry
The University offers a range of funding mechanisms for collaboration with industry and civic society, including:
Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs)
We provide ESRC-Impact funding and Innovate UK funded Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs).
For more information contact Fiona McCusker.
Contribution to industry, health and society
The following three case studies formed part of the University's REF 2014 submission under UoA 19 and illustrate KITE's contribution to industry, health and society:
- Benchmarking the regional contribution of universities: enabling effective engagement by Higher Education Institutions (David Charles)
- Information-sharing in public services: improving inter-agency coordination and governance (Rob Wilson)
- Social accounting in the third sector: improving practice, enhancing sustainability and informing debate (Jane Gibbon)
Read about these case studies on the University's Research website.
Research projects and partnerships
Notable research projects and partnerships include:
- Super-fusing the North East (Jonathan Sapsed)
- Public services and performance management: How can social interventions best benefit their end user? (Toby Lowe)
- Social entrepreneurs and enterprise: Training for the future (Karen Elliott)
- REBEL - Situating small business regulation: A longitudinal study of how small firms receive, understand and respond to regulation (Paul Richter)
- KTP with Benfield has been featured as an ESRC Impact Case Study
- CAPTURED - UK Futures Programme
- Microfinancing the future (Jonathan Kimmitt)
- Social mobility and the risks of taking the path untrodden (Andreas Giazitzoglu)