Dr Jonathan Guy
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6901
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6720
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/afrd
- Address: Agriculture Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
British Society of Animal Science (BSAS)
Alternative strategies to control Dermanyssus gallinae (Poultry Red Mite) in systems for laying hens
Farm animal welfare for pigs and poultry
Assessment of environmental impact of livestock production
Development of protocols to assess farm animal welfare
Mr Paul Jackson - Evaluation of resource efficiency and reduction of environmental impact in intensive livestock farming
Ms Elena Armstrong - Developing lifetime animal welfare assessment tools using novel physiological measures of cumulative chronic stress
Invited speaker - BSAS International Conference, Kaunas, Lithuania, June 2007
Invited speaker - BSAS Conference, Krakow, Poland, October 2006
Journal Referee - Irish Journal of Food and Agriculture (2003-)
ACE1011 Applied Domestic Animal Physiology
ACE1012 Domestic Animal Physiology
ACE2023 Agriculture II (Animal Production)
ACE2043 Non-ruminant Livestock
ACE3022 Animal Welfare and Environment
ACE3040 Animal Product Quality and Marketing (ML)
ACE3047 Animal Health Conference
- Jackson P, Guy J, Edwards SA, Sturm B, Bull S. Application of dynamic thermal engineering principles to improve the efficiency of resource use in UK pork production chains. Energy and Buildings 2017, 139, 53-62.
- Iyasere OS, Beard AP, Guy JH, Bateson M. Elevated levels of the stress hormone, corticosterone, cause ‘pessimistic’ judgment bias in broiler chickens. Scientific Reports 2017, 7, 6860.
- Iyasere OS, Edwards SA, Bateson M, Mitchell M, Guy JH. Validation of an intramuscularly-implanted microchip and a surface infrared thermometer to estimate core body temperature in broiler chickens exposed to heat stress. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 2017, 133, 1-8.
- Jackson P, Guy J, Sturm B, Bull S, Edwards S. Application of process engineering principles to improve the efficiency of resource use in UK pork production chains. In: American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting 2015. 2015, New Orleans, Louisiana: American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers.
- Stavrakakis S, Guy JH, Syranidis I, Johnson GR, Edwards SA. Pre-clinical and clinical walking kinematics in female breeding pigs with lameness: A nested case-control cohort study. The Veterinary Journal 2015, 205(1), 38-43.
- Stavrakakis S, Wei L, Guy JH, Morgan G, Ushaw G, Johnson GR, Edwards SA. Validity of the Microsoft Kinect sensor for assessment of normal walking patterns in pigs. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture 2015, 117, 1-7.
- Adeeye OO, Guy JH, Edwards SA. Exploratory behaviour and performance of piglets fed novel flavoured creep in two housing systems. Animal Feed Science and Technology 2014, 191, 91-97.
- Stavrakakis S, Guy JH, Warlow OME, Johnson GR, Edwards SA. Intra-operator repeatability of skin marker derived segment measures and gait kinematics in healthy pigs. Biosystems Engineering 2014, 118, 1-6.
- Stavrakakis S, Guy JH, Warlow OME, Johnson GR, Edwards SA. Longitudinal gait development and variability of growing pigs reared on three different floor types. Animal 2014, 8(2), 338-346.
- Adeleye OO, Brett M, Blomfield D, Guy JH, Edwards SA. The effect of algal biomass supplementation in maternal diets on piglet survival in two housing systems. Livestock Science 2014, 162, 193-200.
- Stavrakakis S, Guy JH, Warlow OME, Johnson GR, Edwards SA. Walking kinematics of growing pigs associated with differences in musculoskeletal conformation, subjective gait score and osteochondrosis. Livestock Science 2014, 165, 104-113.
- Seddon YM, Cain PJ, Guy JH, Edwards SA. Development of a spreadsheet based financial model for pig producers considering high welfare farrowing systems. Livestock Science 2013, 157(1), 317-321.
- Guy JH, Meads ZA, Shiel RS, Edwards SA. The effect of combining different environmental enrichment materials on enrichment use by growing pigs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2013, 144(3-4), 102-107.
- Guy JH, Cain PJ, Seddon YM, Baxter EM, Edwards SA. Economic evaluation of high welfare indoor farrowing systems for pigs. Animal Welfare 2012, 21(s1), 19-24.
- Ali W, George DR, Shiel RS, Sparagano OAE, Guy JH. Laboratory screening of potential predators of the poultry red mite (Dermanyssus gallinae) and assessment of Hypoaspis miles performance under varying biotic and abiotic conditions. Veterinary Parasitology 2012, 187(1-2), 341-344.
- Seddon YM, Guy JH, Edwards SA. Optimising oral fluid collection from groups of pigs: Effect of housing system and provision of ropes. Veterinary Journal 2012, 193(1), 180-184.
- Leinonen I, Williams AG, Wiseman J, Guy J, Kyriazakis I. Predicting the environmental impacts of chicken systems in the UK through a Life Cycle Assessment: egg production systems. Poultry Science 2012, 91(1), 26-40.
- George DR, Sparagano OAE, Port G, Okello E, Shiel RS, Guy JH. Environmental interactions with the toxicity of plant essential oils to the poultry red mite Dermanyssus gallinae. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 2010, 24(1), 1-8.
- George DR, Sparagano OAE, Port G, Okello E, Shiel RS, Guy JH. Toxicity of plant essential oils to different life stages of the poultry red mite, Dermanyssus gallinae, and non-target invertebrates. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 2010, 24(1), 9-15.
- Smith TJ, George DR, Sparagano OAE, Seal CJ, Shiel RS, Guy JH. A pilot study into the chemical and sensorial effect of thyme and pennyroyal essential oil on hens eggs. International Journal of Food Science and Technology 2009, 44(9), 1836-1842.
- Scott K, Binnendijk GP, Edwards SA, Guy JH, Kiezebrink MC, Vermeer HM. Preliminary evaluation of a prototype welfare monitoring system for sows and piglets (Welfare Quality® project). Animal Welfare 2009, 18(4), 441-449.
- Guy JH, Bums SE, Barker JM, Edwards SA. Reducing post-mixing aggression and skin lesions in weaned pigs by application of a synthetic maternal pheromone. Animal Welfare 2009, 18(3), 249-255.
- George DR, Sparagano OAE, Port G, Okello E, Shiel RS, Guy JH. Repellence of plant essential oils to Dermanyssus gallinae and toxicity to the non-target invertebrate Tenebrio molitor. Veterinary Parasitology 2009, 162(1-2), 129-134.
- Trickett SL, Guy JH, Edwards SA. The role of novelty in environmental enrichment for the weaned pig. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 2009, 116(1), 45-51.