Dr Mark Byers
Lecturer in Contemporary Poetry
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DPhil in English, Balliol College, Oxford
MSt in English (1900-Present), Balliol College, Oxford
BA (Hons) English Literature, Durham University
My first book, Charles Olson and American Modernism: The Practice of the Self, will be published by Oxford University Press in 2018. Two new projects are currently in their early stages: (i) a monograph on experimental poetics in the early computer era (1965–1980), and (ii) a volume of Tom Raworth’s selected correspondence, which will be published by the University of New Mexico Press. I am also closely involved in the development of the University’s Contemporary Poetry Collections.
SEL3397 Contemporary American Poetry: The (Post) Avant-Garde
- Byers M. Charles Olson and American Modernism: The Practice of the Self. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018. In Press.
- Byers M. 'Archival Poetics: Containing Multitudes'. In: Linda Anderson and Ahren Warner, ed. The Contemporary Poetry Archive: Essays and Interventions. Edinburgh University Press, 2018. Submitted.
- Byers M. 'R.F. Langley: Seeing Things'. English 2017, 66(255), 331-350.
- Byers M. Moving Metres: Hilda Morley and Gestural Abstraction. Paideuma 2017, 44. In Press.
- Byers M. Imagining Uncertainty: Charles Olson and Karl Popper. Philosophy and Literature 2015, 39(2), 443-58.
- Byers M. Egocentric Predicaments: Charles Olson and the New York School of Music. Journal of Modern Literature 2014, 37(4), 54-69.
- Byers M. 'Hilda Morley and the Painters'. Contemporary Women's Writing 2014, 8(3), 262-280.
- Byers M. 'Environmental Pedagogues: Charles Olson and R. Buckminster Fuller'. English 2013, 62.238, 248-68.
- Byers M. Muddling Modernity: Review of Granular Modernism, by Beci Carver. Journal of Modern Literature 2017, 40(3), 157-60.
- Byers M. 'Contemporary Olson, ed. by David Herd (review)'. Modernism/modernity 2016, 23(2), 484-486.