Dr Mark Byers
Lecturer in Contemporary Poetry
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DPhil in English, Balliol College, Oxford
MSt in English (1900-Present), Balliol College, Oxford
BA (Hons) English Literature, Durham University
I am principally interested in twentieth-century poetry (particularly modernist and late modernist poetry), media history, and textual studies. My first monograph, Charles Olson and American Modernism: The Practice of the Self (OUP 2018), investigated the ‘remaking’ of literary and visual modernism in the first decade after 1945, reading the work of American poet Charles Olson alongside his contemporaries in other media, notably painting. I have also written on other late modernist poets, including the British poet R.F. Langley.
My current monograph project, Antedigital Poetics, examines the emergence of new kinds of electronic and digital textuality in the period 1950 to 1985, and their implications for (and in) experimental poetic practice, particularly in the United States. In addition, I am also editing the selected letters of the British-Irish poet Tom Raworth, which will be published by the University of New Mexico Press.
With Professor Linda Anderson and Dr Ahren Warner, I am currently editing a collection of essays, The Contemporary Poetry Archive: Essays and Interventions (EUP, forthcoming 2019). I am also closely involved in the development of Newcastle University’s Contemporary Poetry Collections (email@example.com).
I welcome inquiries from prospective research students in any of my areas of expertise.
In 2018/19 I will be teaching on the following modules:
SEL1030: Close Reading
SEL8674: Research Methods (Literature)
- Byers M. Charles Olson and American Modernism: The Practice of the Self. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2018.
- Byers M. 'Archival Poetics: Containing Multitudes'. In: Linda Anderson, Ahren Warner, and Mark Byers, ed. The Contemporary Poetry Archive: Essays and Interventions. Edinburgh University Press, 2019. Submitted.
- Byers M. R.F. Langley: Seeing Things. English 2017, 66(255), 331-350.
- Byers M. Moving Metres: Hilda Morley and Gestural Abstraction. Paideuma 2017, 44. In Press.
- Byers M. Imagining Uncertainty: Charles Olson and Karl Popper. Philosophy and Literature 2015, 39(2), 443-58.
- Byers M. Egocentric Predicaments: Charles Olson and the New York School of Music. Journal of Modern Literature 2014, 37(4), 54-69.
- Byers M. 'Hilda Morley and the Painters'. Contemporary Women's Writing 2014, 8(3), 262-280.
- Byers M. 'Environmental Pedagogues: Charles Olson and R. Buckminster Fuller'. English 2013, 62.238, 248-68.
- Byers M. Muddling Modernity: Review of Granular Modernism, by Beci Carver. Journal of Modern Literature 2017, 40(3), 157-60.
- Byers M. 'Contemporary Olson, ed. by David Herd (review)'. Modernism/modernity 2016, 23(2), 484-486.